Kato is beating cancer

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Jenn » February 3rd, 2010, 1:06 pm

Here is another hug as well :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » February 3rd, 2010, 1:35 pm

Ditto on the good vibes! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » February 3rd, 2010, 2:13 pm

Thanks so very much everyone. :groupHug: I've been offline since early yesterday afternoon and am behind on all my posting.
I so appreciate all of you keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. It really does give me much comfort and strength.

Kato's doing much better these last 2 days which makes me happy although I know it doesn't change anything in the long run. It's still nice to see him almost back to his old self, even for a few days. I never thought I'd be thrilled to see him stealing & eating tissues. lol

madremissy wrote:
Dee, you know I am not good with words at a time like this but you also know how I feel about you and Kate. Just know that my thoughts and prayers for strength are with you right now no matter what your decision.

Missy, & Jenn, whatever you say will be exactly the right thing because it comes from your heart. I'm never sure of what to say either so I know how you feel.

Isa, I actually have some liquid valium here just in case Kate needs it but maybe a little could accidentally drip my way. lol (I kid)

Kato and you have each other. Living in this world, or the next, will NEVER change that, THANK GOD! You will always be together.

Thank you, Dr. Blabs! :hug3:

We love you all! (((hugs)))
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Pit♥bull » February 3rd, 2010, 2:26 pm

Wonderful update Dee :)

:goodthoughts: :hug3: :goodthoughts: :hug3: :goodthoughts: :hug3:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » February 3rd, 2010, 2:53 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:Wonderful update Dee :)

:goodthoughts: :hug3: :goodthoughts: :hug3: :goodthoughts: :hug3:

ABSOLUTELY!!! :D :heartbeat: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » February 3rd, 2010, 5:50 pm

You guys are amazing. So glad to hear you are having some quality time together. Hugs and good thoughts to both of you.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Brownies Mom » February 3rd, 2010, 8:13 pm

CinderDee wrote:I was thinking earlier tonight about how I would feel if this were someone else's dog and I might feel the same way as many of you do. It's hard for me to say though. When Lisa stopped by to see him her mind changed as well. He looks good and seems pretty happy.

He's not someone else's dog, though. He's your dog. No one knows him as intimately as you, no one loves him more than you, no one understands his true state of health and happiness more than you, and no one is going to hurt as badly as you when it comes time to say good-bye. So don't worry about what others think you should do. This is between you and Kato, so you should do what you feel is right. It does help to check yourself against someone else you trust. I made the decision to take Brownie in the next day, but I called my sister and had her come over that evening and spend time with us. She assured me that she thought it was time, too, and we had detailed discussions about why it was time, so that was good.
CinderDee wrote: On the flip side, he can't do the things he should be able to do and that's not ok with me.

I'm not sure what exactly he is having problems with, but do you think it's okay from his point of view? In some cases, dogs do accept their limitations much more quickly than people, and sometimes the things that matter to us really don't matter to them. Brownie had bad arthritis in his front paw, and he could walk (with a limp), but he was standing only when necessary. Other than that, he felt pretty good. His cataracts were getting a little thick, too, but he could see to get around. Here's what I mean by his point of view - if Brownie had gone lame, he would have been a very unhappy, unfulfilled dog. If he had gone blind, though, he really couldn't have given a rat's butt. As long as he could meander in the yard and sniff, life was good.
CinderDee wrote:I just have a huge problem with ending a life because something's not ok with me. If he were in pain I wouldn't be as wishy washy about it. My worry is that I'm doing it for myself and not for him.

I went through this with my cat. He was 19.5 years old, bone-thin, and wobbled when he walked. He was also not taking great care of himself and was looking pretty greasy and scraggly (common with old cats). But he still looked vibrant in his eyes, and the vet said he really was fine and not in any pain, so I couldn't bring myself to put him down because I felt like he deserved to live if he wasn't suffering. But I felt guilty a lot of the time, and I think anyone who would have walked in and seen him would have thought we were horrible for not putting him out of his misery - but he really wasn't miserable. He ended up having a seizure (or stroke?) and before it was over we knew it was time to say good-bye. :sad2:

CinderDee wrote:I do think the time is near and I'm grateful that I have everyone's support even if I may make a different decision than you would. Please know that I'm doing the best that I can for this dog that means more to me than I can ever tell you.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, Dee. No one is more qualified than you to make ultimate decisions for Kato about his life. I'm sure it feels like you want answers and don't have them, but you'll figure it out. I really think you will know when it's time. I only know that I could never have put Brownie down without knowing in my heart it truly was the best thing for him. He counted on me to take care of his needs, keep him safe and comfortable, and do only those things that were in his best interest. And I have to tell you that after making so many decisions for so long that were intended to help him live longer, it felt so strange to make that final decision to end his life. But I know it was the right thing to do. I couldn't have done it if I wasn't sure.

I'm glad to hear Kato is feeling good today. I hope he has many more good days.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby CinderDee » February 5th, 2010, 8:30 am

Kato took a turn for the worse and I had to let him go. :cry:

Run free my baby boy... you have my heart forever.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 5th, 2010, 8:31 am

:hug3:

RIP sweet Kato. You put up an amazing fight. :cry:

Dee, please let us know if you need anything at all.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Pit♥bull » February 5th, 2010, 8:32 am

May You Rest In Peace Kato....Our Hero
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2010, 9:01 am

My love, thoughts, and prayers are with you, Dee.

Miss you, Kato.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Hundilein » February 5th, 2010, 9:20 am

RIP Sweet Kato.

:hug3:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2010, 9:49 am

I just spoke to Dr Blabs -- she and Team Blabador are away at a dock diving event and Team Blab will be "Jumping For Kato" this weekend. They will make a donation to Chase Away Canine Cancer in Kato's name and will add $50 to the donation if any of their dogs come in the top 3 in their divisions.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » February 5th, 2010, 10:10 am

:( :( :(
My Dear Friend, I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you know my heart breaks along with yours. Please remember that Kate is now pain free and feels so much better. I know this is so difficult for you but you were the best thing in Kate's life. Please let us know if there is anything anybody can do. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 5th, 2010, 10:12 am

:cry: RIP Kato...we'll all remember what a strong, handsome boy you were...:hug3: Hugs to you Dee...we're here for you. :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby HappyChick » February 5th, 2010, 10:14 am

Oh no, I'm so so sorry... :cry:

Run free at the Bridge our dear Kato. You will always be hero to me.

Dee, I have nothing to say that will ease your pain, but know that you are my hero too.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TinaMartin » February 5th, 2010, 10:19 am

My heart aches for you. RIP Kato. :cry:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2010, 10:57 am

Please visit this thread in Our Departed Friends: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32365
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » February 5th, 2010, 11:16 am

Marinepits wrote:I just spoke to Dr Blabs -- she and Team Blabador are away at a dock diving event and Team Blab will be "Jumping For Kato" this weekend. They will make a donation to Chase Away Canine Cancer in Kato's name and will add $50 to the donation if any of their dogs come in the top 3 in their divisions.

Please tell Dr. Blabs that I'm thrilled that they are honoring Kato this way. Thank you Dr. Blabs & good luck! :heartbeat:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2010, 1:21 pm

I sure will, Dee. :hug3:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer