at my wits end on Norman

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Violet » February 4th, 2010, 5:46 pm

ok so..A short while after Norman got here he developed explosive diarheah. No biggy..it happens. Initially did the wait and see..but it continued..started the vet process lol he has been fecalled and bloodworked and fecalled..treated for giardiah in case it was being missed, treated with antibiotics, kaopectate, put on a chicken and rice diet..then temporarily just chicken.. have tried different foods and done everything suggested and the last ditch idea is an ultrasound. Have not done it yet because it's expensive and im already into him for a fortune and all we have managed were maybe up to a week at a time diarreah free.

We have ruled out parasites, pancreatitis, he does not believe there is a partial blockage. I am stumped and frustrated and dammit..Norman would have an official adoption right now except i won't do it without knowing wtf is going on.

Bloodwork is normal..everything is normal. EVERYTHING..except explosive butt blasts that make it really difficult to keep weight on him. Help?
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 4th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Could allergies cause diarrhea?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Violet » February 4th, 2010, 6:38 pm

I don't know..hadn't even considered that. Will ask. I am game for considering anything at this point i am so damn frustrated.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyLady » February 4th, 2010, 7:22 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Could allergies cause diarrhea?

Yes, they sure can.

Try a food trial with a hypoallergenic kibble?
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Violet » February 4th, 2010, 7:58 pm

coll..will try that/
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyLady » February 4th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Just don't forget, nothing but kibble and water goes in his mouth during the food trial. Otherwise you won't know for sure if that was the problem!
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby TheRedQueen » February 4th, 2010, 11:53 pm

How old is he?

Rip had explosive diarrhea for about the first year...he couldn't eat ANYTHING other than his kibble. We ran every test on him, bloodwork, etc. Put him on special vet kibble...everything.

I started trying different kibbles...he finally did fine on some crappy brand (Pedigree I think it was)...and that's what he ate until he grew up a bit. He now can eat ANYTHING without issues...and has most of his life now (he's 12 1/2yr). It was so odd...we never found out what it was that was causing his issues...but we just found a food that he could eat, and walked that tightrope.

I'm guessing he had an allergy to something in the previous foods...and guessing he grew out of it... :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby airwalk » February 5th, 2010, 12:18 am

I didn't want to step in but Erin may have a point. My Charlie did wonderfully on pedigree, but never was able to eat any of the better foods.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » February 5th, 2010, 12:37 am

airwalk wrote:I didn't want to step in but Erin may have a point. My Charlie did wonderfully on pedigree, but never was able to eat any of the better foods.

It's funny I mentioned cheap kibble to Vi on the phone today! Haha.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Violet » February 5th, 2010, 12:48 am

lol yeah..Pedigree is what I keep around for new arrivals that don't take well to the higher end foods. Or for thin dogs. :oops:

we are doing a trial and error and trying a few different things. And I did some research on a previous persons gastro issues with their dogs (thanks jeanine!) and have a grcery list of ideas at this point. so..more suggestions welcome. Hopefully we can get it figured out quickly.

oh..and Norman is about 4 years old. And the history i have on him i seriously doubt he was getting high quality food prior to landing in animal control.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » February 5th, 2010, 3:58 am

I'd try some Fortiflora :| http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/CanineProductDetail.aspx?prod=244&DCMP=ILC-PVD-FF&HQS=ProductHPFF
And/or a couple days of a Gastro diet or Hypo diet

small meals frequently and maybe kibble soaked or canned gruelled for extra hydration :|

and I'm sure you know but no rich foods or treats!

thats what I got :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Violet » February 5th, 2010, 4:43 am

you are the third person to suggest fortiflora..i ordered some tonight.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » February 5th, 2010, 9:48 am

Yes, some form of probiotics, forti flora, yogurt, and try a hypo food to get your answer. It may take a few days to clear up an allergy induced irritable bowel so keep him on metro if you can until you see results. Once you know its an allergy you can experiment (if you dare) on BARF diets or limited antigen diets. And not all IBS situations are allergy induced. It can be started early on from a massive infestation of parasites, and the bowels never recover. They become extremely sensitive to anything but boring food, (i.e. Hills i/d) or chicken and rice, etc. Its also the cause of some undiagnosed extremely skinny dogs today. A chronic IBS.

Once you do get a normal poop, keep it simply and be cautious of what you are feeding.

Good luck
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health