Obsessive-Compulsive Gene Located in Dogs

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby amazincc » February 3rd, 2010, 9:35 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this... please move top appropriate section, if this isn't it. :)

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/ ... s/19343100

(Feb. 3) – If your dog seems to exhibit time-consuming, repetitive behaviors, new research suggests it might actually suffer from a mental illness. A study published in the January issue of Molecular Psychiatry reports that scientists have located a gene for obsessive-compulsive disorder among certain canine breeds.

OCD affects around 2 percent of people, and the canine research suggests that some breeds, especially Dobermans and bull terriers, are at an exceptionally high risk. Up to 70 percent of some litters seem to have obsessive tendencies.

For more than 10 years, behaviorists at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University collected blood samples from Dobermans that exhibited compulsive behavior, like blanket-sucking, as well as from unaffected, healthy Dobermans. In 2001, they teamed up with the Medical Genetics Program at University of Massachusetts Medical School for a widespread "genome association" study.

The team found that dogs exhibiting more compulsive behaviors, like chasing their tails or sucking their own body parts, were more likely to express a CDH2 gene. That gene, located on chromosome 7, mediates communication between neurons in the brain.

And what we now know about dogs might help explain certain human disorders, like OCD and autism spectrum disorder, by examining whether the same CDH2 gene is also implicated. Dr. Nicholas Dodman, a professor at Cummings and the study's lead author, said the CDH2 gene is located in the same area – the brain's hippocampus – in humans and dogs.

Dodman has been working with canine obsessive-compulsive symptoms since the early '80s, but said he needed technology to catch up before he could confirm his suspicions that dogs and people might share a common illness.

"I've had a sneaking suspicion for decades," Dodman said. "Now, we've finally established an incredibly important finding." He predicts that the canine-human link could yield preventive medicine and better treatment for obsessive disorders in both species.

Other experts are cautiously optimistic. "It's certainly true we have basically the same gene in us, so it's an intriguing lead, but there's a lot more work that has to be done to see if this particular finding is relevant to human health and obsessive- compulsive disorder," Dr. Michael Slifer, an assistant professor of human genetics and genomics at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, told HealthDay.

Silfer also cautioned that the CDH2 gene might not have as intense an impact on humans, because if it did, researchers would already have found it.

We'll know soon enough. The National Institutes of Mental Health is conducting its own study, looking for CDH2 in blood samples of human OCD patients. Dodman expects to receive the results any day.

"This would be the first confirmed psychiatric gene in humans," he said. "We're waiting with bated breath."

Dodman and his fellow researchers are also awaiting grants for an institute devoted to the study of "translational research" – comparing genetic information between animals and humans – in an attempt to solve more medical mysteries.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » February 3rd, 2010, 10:39 pm

Awesome. I will have to read more!
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby call2arms » February 4th, 2010, 12:18 am

Interesting. Seems like the myth about BT's obsessively chasing their tail as a "behavior trait" that I've heard might somewhat have an actual base to it.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » February 4th, 2010, 9:22 am

I would have thought Border Collies would have been high on that list
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pocketpit » February 5th, 2010, 2:36 am

Interesting. Seems like the myth about BT's obsessively chasing their tail as a "behavior trait" that I've heard might somewhat have an actual base to it.

I definately think it has an actual base to it. I've never heard it attributed to a simple case of breed behavioral trait but I have read in at least one book if not more that several people have a theory that the behavior may be caused by "mini seizures" or misfiring neurons within part of the brain.

As an owner of a previous dog with OCD I think it's really cool that they've discovered a gene for it.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » February 5th, 2010, 7:05 am

I always thought Labs were OCD with their licking. At least mine lick all the time. :rolleyes2: Not allergy-related, just obsessed with a spot on them till they lick it raw.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » February 5th, 2010, 9:05 am

maberi wrote:I would have thought Border Collies would have been high on that list

Agreed. Jack Russell Terrorists, too.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Nutrition & Health