Woo HOOOO Semi good poop this am!!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 8:03 am

this morning arturo got a can of ca natural instead of kibble, and half a teaspoon of pumpkin.. he had the best poop so far this am.. it wasnt 100% solid, but it was i would say maybe 30% solid, MUCH better then the past 2 weeks.. i poked around in it with a stick, and found some small, white, egg shaped flat white things in it, i dont know if they are worm eggs or not, but last night was his last 3 days of panacur... hopefully tonight when i get home his poop will be like this am ....
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby SisMorphine » May 4th, 2006, 8:36 am

The panacur itself can cause soft stool also, which could be attributing this time around. But it sounds like he's shedding the worms (hopefully dead). Yay for Arturo!!!

PS: whenever I see you write about Arturo all I can think of is the Zebrahead song "Livin' Libido Loco" (lyrics here http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/zebrahead/livinlibidoloco.html
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.
 
Posts: 9233
Location: PR

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 8:40 am

I feel for you-runny poops are awful!

Although whoever called them soft serve, thank you, I will never be able to eat chocolate soft ice cream again!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully
 
Posts: 922
Location: FingerLakes NY

Postby Purple » May 4th, 2006, 9:14 am

I enjoy the details, like the stick poking! Do you have to find a new stick everyday?
User avatar
Purple
I live here
 
Posts: 5115

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 9:17 am

i did jenn, sorry..

he has had soft serve since i got him.. the 2 days i had him he pooped out roundworms, then had hard stool for a day, then went right to soft serve... and its been that way ever since.. he was dewormed the day i got him, then a few days later i had him dewormed again, now again ....

hopefully he is going to be back on track now..
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby Asta » May 4th, 2006, 10:01 am

Soft serve haha Sorry Jen :) But boy am i happy for you Maryellen for finally maybe seeing the light after going through so much trouble with your handsome little fella!

Cheers,

Åsa
User avatar
Asta
Welcome Wagger
 
Posts: 3115
Location: Everywhere

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 10:13 am

i have plenty of sticks from the tree over the fence,so i use a new one every day.. i use two actually, so that i can pry apart and examine every bit of poop to see if there are eggs or worms there..
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 10:30 am

Maryellen wrote:i did jenn, sorry..

he has had soft serve since i got him.. the 2 days i had him he pooped out roundworms, then had hard stool for a day, then went right to soft serve... and its been that way ever since.. he was dewormed the day i got him, then a few days later i had him dewormed again, now again ....

hopefully he is going to be back on track now..

I thought you're supposed to wait 10 days between wormings?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
User avatar
msvette2u
I live here
 
Posts: 6812
Location: Eastern WA

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 10:31 am

Maryellen wrote:i have plenty of sticks from the tree over the fence,so i use a new one every day.. i use two actually, so that i can pry apart and examine every bit of poop to see if there are eggs or worms there..



That does it. Obviously there's a market for this - now I just need to invent it. A poop examining tool...yeah...wonder how much I could charge...??
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
User avatar
msvette2u
I live here
 
Posts: 6812
Location: Eastern WA

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 10:42 am

the first worming he had on 4/15/06. pooped a crap load of worms for the next 2 days at my house. the rescue vet only gave him one pill of drontel, that was it.. so my vet gave liquid strongid one time on the 17th of april to make sure, and 5/1,2,3 he got panacur.. the vet said to now wait 2 weeks and see how he does with his poop....

was he dewormed too close together?
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 10:44 am

yvette it has to be the kind of stick that you can use mobily to move the poop apart - like a 2 prong stick..... you could make a fortune if you make it a poop looker and a poop scooper all in one....
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 10:51 am

Maryellen wrote:the first worming he had on 4/15/06. pooped a crap load of worms for the next 2 days at my house. the rescue vet only gave him one pill of drontel, that was it.. so my vet gave liquid strongid one time on the 17th of april to make sure, and 5/1,2,3 he got panacur.. the vet said to now wait 2 weeks and see how he does with his poop....

was he dewormed too close together?


I thought Drontal was normally given as a series of three pills for bad worm cases?

That seems like an awful lot of different worming meds in the space of three weeks..... :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby dogcrazyjen » May 4th, 2006, 11:04 am

You could put a pair of tongs on a bungee that fit into the handle of the pooper scooper, maybe a second piece of pipe which is welded to the handle. That way you could use the tongs to separate poop or pick out small particles, and it stores easily. The pipe which holds the tongs is open on the bottom so any poop which is on the tongs can be flushed out with a hose. Add in a bag dispenser and Swifter wet jet-like nuetralizer dispenser and you have the caddy of pooper scoopers! :D
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully
 
Posts: 922
Location: FingerLakes NY

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 11:10 am

Marinepits wrote:
Maryellen wrote:the first worming he had on 4/15/06. pooped a crap load of worms for the next 2 days at my house. the rescue vet only gave him one pill of drontel, that was it.. so my vet gave liquid strongid one time on the 17th of april to make sure, and 5/1,2,3 he got panacur.. the vet said to now wait 2 weeks and see how he does with his poop....

was he dewormed too close together?




I thought Drontal was normally given as a series of three pills for bad worm cases?

That seems like an awful lot of different worming meds in the space of three weeks..... :|


It seems odd to me too.
When we wormed ours we gave them the Cattle Ivomec and 10 days later gave them a second dose :| I guess it takes 10 days for the worm life cycle to repeat itself or something.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
User avatar
msvette2u
I live here
 
Posts: 6812
Location: Eastern WA

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 11:12 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:You could put a pair of tongs on a bungee that fit into the handle of the pooper scooper, maybe a second piece of pipe which is welded to the handle. That way you could use the tongs to separate poop or pick out small particles, and it stores easily. The pipe which holds the tongs is open on the bottom so any poop which is on the tongs can be flushed out with a hose. Add in a bag dispenser and Swifter wet jet-like nuetralizer dispenser and you have the caddy of pooper scoopers! :D


It needs a magnifying glass somewhere on the cord too.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
User avatar
msvette2u
I live here
 
Posts: 6812
Location: Eastern WA

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 11:17 am

msvette2u wrote:It seems odd to me too.
When we wormed ours we gave them the Cattle Ivomec and 10 days later gave them a second dose :| I guess it takes 10 days for the worm life cycle to repeat itself or something.


Right. Depends on the type of worm found, whether it's whip worm, tapeworm, round worm, etc, or a combination.

I haven't dealt with worm issues for a while, so I've forgotten the specifics. Chalk that up to old age, I guess. :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 11:18 am

the rescue vet only gave me one Drontel pill on april 15th, i never dewormed a dog so i thought that was right.. when i took him for xrays on the 17th the vet asked if he was dewormed yet as i brought in a fecal, and i told them the other vet only gave me one drontel pill.. so my vet gave one squirt of strongid..(i didnt question it cause i dont know about worming) his poop since the 17th was soft serve, and the first fecal came back for roundworms...

the owner of the vets office where i go is a vet too, and he felt that with the poop still being as loose as it was that he could have more worms in his system, so he gave me 3 days of powder panacur.. this was on may 1st that i gave one packet, and so on....

doesnt one dewormer work for all types of worms???
now this morning he had little white things in his poop, one was shaped like an egg, and was larger then the other white dotty things.. of course i am shovelling his poop as soon as he goes and bleaching the area too..

my vet also thought it was possible he reinfected himself too, but wasnt sure..
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Postby Marinepits » May 4th, 2006, 11:26 am

Maryellen wrote:the rescue vet only gave me one Drontel pill on april 15th, i never dewormed a dog so i thought that was right.. when i took him for xrays on the 17th the vet asked if he was dewormed yet as i brought in a fecal, and i told them the other vet only gave me one drontel pill.. so my vet gave one squirt of strongid..(i didnt question it cause i dont know about worming) his poop since the 17th was soft serve, and the first fecal came back for roundworms...

the owner of the vets office where i go is a vet too, and he felt that with the poop still being as loose as it was that he could have more worms in his system, so he gave me 3 days of powder panacur.. this was on may 1st that i gave one packet, and so on....

doesnt one dewormer work for all types of worms???
now this morning he had little white things in his poop, one was shaped like an egg, and was larger then the other white dotty things.. of course i am shovelling his poop as soon as he goes and bleaching the area too..

my vet also thought it was possible he reinfected himself too, but wasnt sure..


No, different worms need different meds, or a combination of some meds.

The little white things sound like round worms, but I would need to see them.

And, it's absolutely possible that's he's reinfected himself. Have you checked the other dogs for worms as well? It might not hurt to get them dewormed, after you figure out what specific type(s) of worm you're dealing with.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
User avatar
Marinepits
Proud Infidel
 
Posts: 15621
Location: New England

Postby msvette2u » May 4th, 2006, 11:34 am

That's why I like Ivomec. I think it gets round and whip and all other worms, except tapes. Only Prazquantel(SP?) gets tapes.
If he had tapes you might see them hanging off his butt end, dried. Also they fall out and dry on the bedding, etc.
Tapes are spread by fleas. Shelter dogs often get them, or have them upon arrival. I've noticed them most in strays that are eating alot of garbage for survival.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
User avatar
msvette2u
I live here
 
Posts: 6812
Location: Eastern WA

Postby Maryellen » May 4th, 2006, 11:59 am

he has had nothing hanging out his butt ever. thank god... the little white things i found in his ppop this morning were really small, like crumb size.. the bigger one was white and egg shaped...
Maryellen
I live here
 
Posts: 5971

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

cron