ARGH! "We need help!" oh wait, maybe not....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » January 31st, 2010, 11:44 pm

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:00 PM
To: michelle
Subject: Brats Class

Hi Michelle

My wife and I have a 1 year old Scottie. He is just out of control around people, dogs etc..

Could you please contact us at xxx-xxx-xxxx We are at the end of our rope with him. Now he is starting to bite and nip and even with us.

Thank you

Jim and Mary

----- Original Message -----
To: Jim and Mary
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:45 PM
Subject: re: Brats Class

Hi Jim and Mary,

Unfortunately, the class just started and is full. The next doesn't start for 8 weeks.

I would be willing to meet with you and evaluate him for a future class if you'd
like. I also do private training if you would like to start sooner.

What training has he already had? Is he neutered? How old was he when
you got him?

Thanks,

Michelle

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:12 PM
To: michelle
Subject: Re: Brats Class

Thank you for the response Michelle. Unfortunately we cannot wait 8 weeks for another class.
I will not invest in private classes, cannot afford that. We will keep trying and hope for the best. If it does not workout we decided we may have to take him to Scottish Terrier Rescue.

I have had Beagles to Golden Retreivers, but never had a dog like this, who has no interest in learning.

Thank you again

Jim

I actually don't charge more for private work than you pay for classes, but that's
your choice.

The best place for any dog is where he currently is, and many rescues won't take
a biting dog for placement. If you don't get training help, nothing is going to change
in less than 8 weeks.

If you don't want training help, I'd strongly suggest you do some research on
"Nothing In Life Is Free," it's a systematic approach to getting a lot of problematic
behaviors under control. You can implement it immediately and there are generally
some results within days.

Michelle

So they can't afford private training (that they don't know the cost of), can't wait 8 weeks for another class, and want to just see if things magically get better on their own after a year - suddenly out of nowhere since they can't wait 8 more weeks.

:nono: :nono: :nono:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » January 31st, 2010, 11:58 pm

Sounds about normal :rolleyes2: Geez people.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » February 1st, 2010, 12:40 am

Have you recommended CM to them??? I bet he can fix that bratty dog in about 20 minutes... :neener: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » February 1st, 2010, 12:48 am

amazincc wrote:Have you recommended CM to them??? I bet he can fix that bratty dog in about 20 minutes... :neener: :wink:

That's my fear... the "Ceasar Effect": magic results in less than an hour. They can't wait 8 weeks for the next class, but won't do other training, are ready to dump the dog at a rescue, and now are just going to see if anything changes - evidently thinking something will change out of nowhere in under 8 weeks.

*sigh*

and I don't know of many rescues who take in biting dogs, or owner turn ins.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » February 1st, 2010, 12:56 am

I have had Beagles to Golden Retreivers, but never had a dog like this, who has no interest in learning.

LOVE that comment by the owner... lol

The "apple" doesn't fall far from the tree, apparently. :rolleyes2: :crazy2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SassyCassie » February 1st, 2010, 1:30 am

Okay, so i'm reading the thing about the NILIF program, thinking 'hmmm, wonder if that will work with my son' (interestingly enough, he is supposed to be working on a paper right now for economics about There's no such thing as a free lunch - what does it mean, and please use economic terms from chapter one to explain it) I thought it was a sign :)

I went to the NILIF info page, and started reading about attention on demand - and realized my dog does this - the touching of my hand when she wants something - but what if it was because I TAUGHT it to her? Not accidentally, but when i was doing targeting (when I started clicker training her). I don't mind it, it is actually better imo if she touches my hand when she wants to go out and I didn't notice her pacing by the door or touching my hand when she wants her water dish filled, or whatever - better than her annoyingly barking - but i also don't want her to think she is above me in the "pack" either. So is it a problem if i don't think its an issue?

btw, just skimming through - i don't think i can use it for my son. :rolleyes2:
The root of ALL evil at dotcorny
SassyCassie
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » February 1st, 2010, 4:24 am

sounds like a fairly typical terrier to me :|

When I hear of stuff like this, I wonder how someone screws up a dog, barely even out of puppy hood? :nono:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » February 1st, 2010, 9:56 am

I just got a response:
Well, if he can't be taken to a rescue group we may just have to put him down.
We will try "Nothing In Life Is Free" I liked their approach. Then we will have to go from there and decide. Our vet can help with the decision.

Jim
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 1st, 2010, 10:05 am

Wow. Unbelievable. What are you going to say back to them?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » February 1st, 2010, 10:39 am

SassyCassie wrote:Okay, so i'm reading the thing about the NILIF program, thinking 'hmmm, wonder if that will work with my son' (interestingly enough, he is supposed to be working on a paper right now for economics about There's no such thing as a free lunch - what does it mean, and please use economic terms from chapter one to explain it) I thought it was a sign :)

I went to the NILIF info page, and started reading about attention on demand - and realized my dog does this - the touching of my hand when she wants something - but what if it was because I TAUGHT it to her? Not accidentally, but when i was doing targeting (when I started clicker training her). I don't mind it, it is actually better imo if she touches my hand when she wants to go out and I didn't notice her pacing by the door or touching my hand when she wants her water dish filled, or whatever - better than her annoyingly barking - but i also don't want her to think she is above me in the "pack" either. So is it a problem if i don't think its an issue?

btw, just skimming through - i don't think i can use it for my son. :rolleyes2:

She's offering a learned behavior in return for a reinforcer....not the same thing as being pushy and rude. 8)

And dogs don't think that they rank "higher" or "lower" in the pack...because they know that we are humans...and that they are dogs. ;) Being annoying, pushy or rude...that's just being a dog...and knowing what gets attention from humans. Not trying to "dominate". ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby CinderDee » February 1st, 2010, 3:04 pm

mnp13 wrote:I just got a response:
We will try "Nothing In Life Is Free" I liked their approach. Then we will have to go from there and decide. Our vet can help with the decision.

Jim

I'd like to get my hands on him and slam his face into the wall a few times. I'm agonizing over putting my dog to sleep and he's got cancer but this guy is too cheap & lazy to do anything to help his dog so the dog has to pay with his life. It's no wonder most of us can't stand people. :mad2:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » February 1st, 2010, 3:12 pm

CinderDee wrote:

Jim

I'd like to get my hands on him and slam his face into the wall a few times. I'm agonizing over putting my dog to sleep and he's got cancer but this guy is too cheap & lazy to do anything to help his dog so the dog has to pay with his life. It's no wonder most of us can't stand people. :mad2:

Amen, Sister. Amen.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby LMM » February 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm

They are trying scare tactics now, that's bullshyt.

I am not so quick to give up on him for his "nipping" given who his owners are. I'm sure they have never set ANY clear boundaries for him. I'm also not sure he is the worst dog ever, potential dog dumpers like to exaggerate behaviors as a way to justify their irresponsibility and callousness.

I'm betting I can absolutely get an area rescue to sign on and at least attempt to give him some training and give him a chance.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » February 1st, 2010, 4:01 pm

mnp13 wrote:I just got a response:

Jim

Wow... too bad there are laws against putting down people for stupidity and lack of caring. :mad2: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Pit♥bull » February 1st, 2010, 5:41 pm

amazincc wrote:Wow... too bad there are laws against putting down people for stupidity and lack of caring. :mad2: :nono:
:thumbsup:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » February 1st, 2010, 6:05 pm

Wow. When he says his vet can help him with a decision, I hope he gets a reality check, and not support towards euthing, seeing as he's done NOTHING to help the dog behave better.

When's the permit for dog ownership coming out?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby furever_pit » February 1st, 2010, 11:45 pm

I wish I was the vet tech taking that phone call. :devil:

Yet another reason why, dogs > people.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby madremissy » February 2nd, 2010, 11:13 am

:shock: People suck!
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ttio » February 2nd, 2010, 6:04 pm

from the first email it sort of sounds like they made up their minds already -- asking about training classes was a last ditch effort so after they PTS they can say "well we tried to get him training, but it didn't work." and then never have to explain that "didn't work" mean THEY didn't work for him, not that training didnt work for their dog :bs:
~Megan~

"And although we'll never reach perfection, always persist to try."
ttio
Just Whelped

Postby TinaMartin » February 3rd, 2010, 11:00 am

"DEAR" JIM,
NEXT TIME GET A SMURFING STUFFED ANIMAL! LEAVE THE DOGS TO PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WANT A DOG!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss: :mad2: :cuss: :mad2: :cuss: :puke:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Next

Return to Training & Behavior