Kato is beating cancer

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Brownies Mom » February 1st, 2010, 9:56 pm

Dee, I'm so sorry about Kato :sad2: If my wishes came true, neither of you would be going through this.

As I read your posts, I was sort of thinking the same thing Christine said, that he is getting tired and the time is near. Please let me share a part of Brownie's story with you: Brownie never got to the point where it was absolutely clear that he needed to be euthanized asap. He started feeling bad, then got better, then quit eating, then ate a little bit, then felt worse, then felt better and started eating, etc (you get the picture). He went up and down, but it turned out to be a slow progression downward. I did let things go for awhile, because I would get encouraged by his feeling better. We had just started a new medication, and I figured it was making him sick, but that he would come through it if given a little time. I let it go for a few days then took him to the vet on 3/31. They did x-rays and found a tumor in his spleen, and told me that it could possibly burst and if it did, it would be incredibly painful for him. I was scared to death that would happen when I was at work and he would lie in pain for hours, so I took him home, spent the evening and next morning saying good-bye, and then helped him cross to the bridge that next afternoon (4/1). I loved him so much, I just couldn't let something bad like that happen to him. The morning of 4/1, it was a beautiful day and he felt good. We walked out in the yard, and he even ate a little bit, and I am so grateful that our last day together was like that. Had that tumor burst, our last time together would have been spent rushing him to the emergency vet while he was suffering.

I'm not really offering any advice or trying to make you see any big picture. I just remember that when I was trying to make that decision, I really wanted and needed to hear other people's stories to see how and when they made their decision and what they based it on. So I thought I would share our story in case you are wondering the same.

amazincc wrote:It's not easy for me to post this, and it won't be a "popular post", by any means - it might even lose me a few friends, but... I'm going to say it anyway:

Christine, I know this wasn't easy for you to post, but I think you are a good friend to speak up. Dee said she was looking for honesty and I believe she knows you are speaking from your heart.
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby BullyLady » February 1st, 2010, 10:19 pm

Brownies Mom wrote:So I thought I would share our story in case you are wondering the same.

I will do the same, just in case it helps.

Sophie was never urgent either, just in a LOT of pain. Her hind end was paralyzed so she was unable to do pretty much anything by herself. We were maxed out on pain meds and mixing NSAIDS with steroids and carrying her in and out of the house for potty time.... It was hard, but we kept holding on in case the pain went away. The paralysis we could deal with, it was the pain that was so hard to watch. She slept with us every night, and I remember waking up one morning to her making this soft whining noise. I petted her velvety soft ears and told her that I was sorry she hadn't passed in her sleep, quietly, so she wouldn't be in pain anymore. That's how I knew. She needed to be out of pain, and I needed to know that she went quietly. So the next day my husband and I took her in and held her and told her we loved her and watched her go. That was two years ago and I'm crying as I type this, but hard as it still is I'm glad I helped relieve her of her pain.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Violet » February 1st, 2010, 10:40 pm

Dee,

I can only tell you my own experiences..and pretty damn recent ones..with Keto..I cannot tell you how many time my hubby and I laid awake at night having the "is it time" conversation. And how many time I looked at him myself wondering. The last couple of days we had him with us, he was done. He wasn't even trying for US any more. It was very clear. We were blessed that he quit on his own but would have been at the vet the next morning had he made it through the night. I don't think we waited too long. I don't think we gave him too many chances to recover. Because he DID rebound MANY times over the two years battling heart failure. And had many more quality days over bad ones. But in the end..it was very clear he knew it was time to go.

I can't tell you and neither can anyone else if Kato is ready. He might very well be. We actually ASKED Keto..and we told him it was ok. Have you told Kato it's ok to let go? and that you will be ok? The day before Keto passed, hubby had finally told him it was ok..he didn't have to fight any more. We would all miss him terribly but it was ok. Maybe Kato is waiting for you to let him know it's ok before HE can let you know he is ready?
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » February 1st, 2010, 11:59 pm

I have to second everything Christine has said, I know it is hard to say and equally hard to read but she makes sense.

:hug3: :hug3:

I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby CinderDee » February 2nd, 2010, 1:00 am

I sincerely appreciate everyone sharing their stories and thoughts with me. I'm going to answer Vi's question first because it's the easiest.

Vi, I haven't told him that it's ok this time although I did tell him back in the summer when he almost died after the chemo. It's something that I should and will do tonight. Thank you. :hug3:

Christine, I was thinking earlier tonight about how I would feel if this were someone else's dog and I might feel the same way as many of you do. It's hard for me to say though. When Lisa stopped by to see him her mind changed as well. He looks good and seems pretty happy. On the flip side, he can't do the things he should be able to do and that's not ok with me. I just have a huge problem with ending a life because something's not ok with me. If he were in pain I wouldn't be as wishy washy about it. My worry is that I'm doing it for myself and not for him.

I do think the time is near and I'm grateful that I have everyone's support even if I may make a different decision than you would. Please know that I'm doing the best that I can for this dog that means more to me than I can ever tell you.

Christine, you don't ever have to worry about speaking your mind to me. I know it comes from a place of love for both of us and I value everything you have to say. I'll think long and hard about what all of you have said and again I thank you for sharing with me. I know how difficult it is to bring all this pain up again & I appreciate it more than you know. :groupHug:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby CinderDee » February 2nd, 2010, 1:02 am

P.S. Who's got the Xanax and when will it be here?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » February 2nd, 2010, 1:27 am

CinderDee wrote:P.S. Who's got the Xanax and when will it be here?

Ruby said you can have some of hers. :smileUp:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » February 2nd, 2010, 1:35 am

CinderDee wrote:
Christine, I was thinking earlier tonight about how I would feel if this were someone else's dog and I might feel the same way as many of you do. It's hard for me to say though. When Lisa stopped by to see him her mind changed as well. He looks good and seems pretty happy. On the flip side, he can't do the things he should be able to do and that's not ok with me. I just have a huge problem with ending a life because something's not ok with me. If he were in pain I wouldn't be as wishy washy about it. My worry is that I'm doing it for myself and not for him.

That couldn't be further from the truth, Dee... anyone who knows you realizes that Kate is your life, not an "inconvenience". :neutral: :cry:

I do think the time is near and I'm grateful that I have everyone's support even if I may make a different decision than you would. Please know that I'm doing the best that I can for this dog that means more to me than I can ever tell you.

No-one doubts that... least of all me. I hope my last post didn't imply otherwise. :hug3:

This is a very, very sensitive issue and a heartbreaking "conversation" to have under the best of circumstances. It's hard to understand how and why love can be so beautiful and so gut-wrenching at the same time.

I'm wishing peace for both of you.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 2nd, 2010, 7:57 am

How's Kato this morning???
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » February 2nd, 2010, 8:08 am

I can overnight you some............. :smileUp:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby CinderDee » February 2nd, 2010, 9:07 am

mnp13 wrote:

Ruby said you can have some of hers. :smileUp:

I love Ruby. :heartbeat:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby CinderDee » February 2nd, 2010, 9:09 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:How's Kato this morning???

He's till asleep Liz. I didn't even wake him for his pred because I thought the sleep would do him good. I'll update when he gets up. Thanks for asking! :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby CinderDee » February 2nd, 2010, 9:10 am

ArtGypsy wrote:

I can overnight you some............. :smileUp:

:D :D :D :D :D

Why am I the only one with no Xanax at a time like this? :x
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby madremissy » February 2nd, 2010, 10:16 am

I will make sure you get some soon. :D

Dee, you know I am not good with words at a time like this but you also know how I feel about you and Kate. Just know that my thoughts and prayers for strength are with you right now no matter what your decision. :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » February 2nd, 2010, 3:31 pm

madremissy wrote:Dee, you know I am not good with words at a time like this but you also know how I feel about you and Kate. Just know that my thoughts and prayers for strength are with you right now no matter what your decision. :hug3:

I 100% ditto what Missy said (well I don't have the Xanax so I left that part out ;) ), I never know the right words to say myself. However, you both are in my thoughts as well. :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby call2arms » February 2nd, 2010, 8:01 pm

I can't add much more advice than what was given earlier - but just know I'm thinking of you both and I love you guys.

And I can send vials of liquid Valium, if needed.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby blabsforbullies » February 2nd, 2010, 8:26 pm

I, too, can't tell you what is best, but I can say that I, as a pet owner, have had some that I felt like I made decisions too soon, and others that I think I waited too long for. :( Even with the medical perspective, these things just can't be clear cut. My heart breaks for you & Kato. :sad2: The best thing, as it always has been, is that Kato and you have each other. Living in this world, or the next, will NEVER change that, THANK GOD! You will always be together. :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

:groupHug:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » February 3rd, 2010, 12:23 am

Sending lots of love, Dee. We've been thinking of you and Kato often.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby airwalk » February 3rd, 2010, 12:57 am

Kato and you have each other. Living in this world, or the next, will NEVER change that, THANK GOD! You will always be together.

Couldn't have said it better. Dee you know I'm here for whatever, whenever and I support your decisions.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 3rd, 2010, 7:45 am

Well, it's a new morning and I just wanted to send some love to you and Kato. :heartbeat:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer