Breed prejudice...

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby turtle » May 4th, 2006, 2:56 am

Damn, here I am up at 2:30 am and happened to have the news on... they just had a piece on a 74 yr old man attacked and mauled by 3 dogs.

And of course the 3 dogs are called "pit bull boxer" mixes. They showed the 3 dogs in the impound and all of them are fuzzy white dogs with brown ears and spots, they have long hair and are obviously spaniel mixes.

Geez... can't have a news story with "vicious spaniels" can you?? Sigh...

I know it's nothing new but it just ticks me off! :x
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » May 4th, 2006, 7:10 am

Highly annoying. But unfortunately, spaniel mixes don't sell the news, pit bull mixes do. So why report on the truth when you could spin it the other way around?

After we did some BSL fighting in Salem MA I went home and turned on the news because they had been there. The story that they aired was pretty accurate, until they told the story of the man who was "viciously attacked" by an unleashed pit bull.

He had not been viciously attacked. He had been walking his English Bulldog, OFFLEASH, when his dog attacked a store front because he saw another dog (the pit bull) inside. The pit came right through the door (I think he pushed the door open) defensively. Not bites were taken. The pit was brought back into the store.

Yet the news made it sound like the guy had been mauled when in reality his own dog brought it on himself. Absolutely rediculous.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pLaurent » May 4th, 2006, 11:50 am

Oh, I"m positive that a large number of these "pit bull attacks" are not from pit bulls at all!

You're right, no one wants to hear about mutt attacks, or attack from any breeds who do not have a scary rep. No thrills and chills there.

Right in my town a husky savagely mauled a young boy doing yard work on the property and he needed 114 stitches on his face and is scarred for life.

Nothing was said about this, and the dog still resides in his home.

If my Chloe had accidently scratched someone while being overly friendly, I can just see the headlines. :x
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk