Growing pains?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 30th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Fig (almost 9 mo mini dachshund) has been a little off this past week...he's not been his normal playful, wiggly self.

He was working in flyball last week, and clipped the jump with his chest pretty hard...but seemed to be okay after that. But then off and on all week, he's been just "blah". :neutral:

I'm wondering, if due to his age...he's got growing pains. :? He's been sleeping in the morning and evenings when he's usually running around like an idiot playing with the other dogs. He's been hesitant when going to jump up on the footstool where he takes his toys. He also has been stretching a LOT this past week. He'll come out of his crate, two feet out and will pull his back end out of the crate in a BIG stretch first thing in the morning...not usual for him...he's usually hopping right out, ready to go outside. The stretching happens in the yard, or when he's in the house too...while walking around, he'll just stop and stttrrreeeettttch, then keep walking. Not typical...as he's usually running/scampering.

He's whimpered slightly the past day or so when I pick him up, but on closer examination, nothing seems particuarly sore...he lets me rotate his legs all over, and manipulation down his spine doesn't produce any whimpering or sore spots. :neutral:

:dance: I've just put him on more crate rest for the past few days...and last night he was back to his normal self, wrestling with Xander, racing around the house...sliding into furniture, typical Fig behavior.

He's a wiener with no sense of self-preservation...he's gonna end up in a wheelchair before he hits one... :shock: A few weeks ago, he ran up onto the footstool, leaped onto my lap (I was sitting at the table in a chair)...but because there was another dog on the footstool sleeping (boarding dog)...it put him off his stride, he ran up into my lap, up onto the table and right off the edge. Fell onto the hardwood. Shook himself off, and kept playing. :| A week or so after that, he was chasing a leash (his favorite game...lure-coursing a long line), and got thrown into the air about 4' when Xander picked up the leash and it snapped up. Fig landed on hard ground (I heard his head hit the frozen ground)...and got up, shook and ran off again. :o Geez...he's like a little Stunt Wiener.

Both of these incidents were a few weeks ago, and he's been fine in between then and now...so I don't think he's having a problem with those things...but I could be wrong. He's been running, jumping, generally acting like an idiot up until this past week.

I haven't given him anything for pain, as I don't know how to dose a 9.5# dog...and I don't spend $$$ I don't have right now for the vet to not find anything...since to everyone but those that know him, he seems perfectly normal! lol

The crate rest seems to have helped...but any thoughts? Sorry to be so long-winded! lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Also, forgot to mention that on his "off" days, he's also not interested in food...and he normally has a VERY healthy appetite.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » January 30th, 2010, 3:06 pm

stretching often indicates a sore stomach or abdomen :|

I would definitely NOT give him anything for pain, pain meds are often hard on the GI tract and could make him feel worse.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 30th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Hmmm...interesting...I did wonder briefly if it was his stomach...it was a little tight the other day too. He eats Evo...and a lot of it...he's on 1/2 c. twice a day, plus treats or more Evo for training throughout the day. I wondered if he'd just felt blah from something stomach related.

He's been fine all day today, back to his old self again. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby pocketpit » January 30th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Seeing a lot of neruo patients on a daily basis my biggest concern of course would be his back or neck. But the stretching is not something that most neuro patients do so who knows if it's not related to his intestinal system :|
I know you already know this, but even if there does not appear to be a major injury during his "stunts" over time any damage done may begin to slowly show up. Disks often take time to herniate. He could simply still be sore from the flyball accident too.
I would continue to take it easy and maybe feed a bland diet for a day or two and see if that makes any difference.
Crazy weiner dog!
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » January 31st, 2010, 9:38 am

I worry about his back/neck as well. If the back was an issue, you might see his abdomen be tense and his appetite be off just from him being uncomfortable. I, too, have a fearless Weiner, and I worry about it all the time. :neutral:

I hope he is feeling better!!! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health