WTF? Blue Fawn?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Vertigo » January 30th, 2010, 4:32 am

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 8%26um%3D1

What's this all about? Looks a lot like my rescue of a mutt Montgomery.
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 30th, 2010, 7:29 am

Looks like a chubby Lab. :giggle: Maybe they come with blue collars? 8)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » January 30th, 2010, 8:25 am

Those are some well fed pups. Maybe the person is color blind? :| :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » January 30th, 2010, 9:34 am

I just asked a friend who has Great Danes, and has mentioned the blue-fawn color. Seems it is a solid fawn coat, with a bluish tint, and "blue mask". (Not sure what that is.) Noses are black/blue, as are ears and I think she said their skin.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 30th, 2010, 3:21 pm

blue mask would be diluted color, so instead of a black mask it'll be like a watered - down color pigment. Blue fawn is like a diluted grey fawn color, I believe.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby juniper8204 » January 30th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Blue fawn is just a dilute of regular fawn (tan with black mask/points). In Great Danes, it's not a recognized color by the AKC if you're going to show, and it comes from breeding a fawn or brindle with another color. Fawn and brindle GD's are not supposed to be bred to any other color except other fawns and brindles, otherwise you get odd and unshowable colors like "fawn-equin", blue fawn, blue brindle, blue harlequin, piebald etc. And a merle GD, UNLESS you know exactly what you are doing, shouldn't be bred period; you run the chance of having white, deaf/blind puppies. Ahem...uh...yeah...I think I overeducated myself when I adopted a GD years ago. LOL :rolleyes2:

Unfortunately, a lot of people will sell blue fawn pit bulls at a higher price because it's considered a "rare" color.

I think it is a pretty color, but I wouldn't pay more for a dog or choose a dog just because it has this color. I'm just fine with my rednoses and brindles. :dance:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DeeNtheChillas » January 30th, 2010, 4:56 pm

I think blue fawns are very pretty. But there are lots of them in rescue, I will stick with that. :)
Dee and the furry babies:
Lizz (11 y/o beagle x toy fox terrier)
Blazer (7 y/o chihuahua x boston terrier)
Valentino (less than a year old pit bull)
Tyler and Victoria, the kitties
and the 'chillas
Humble Acres Chinchillas
http://www.humbleacreschinchillas.com
DeeNtheChillas
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby dlynne1123 » January 30th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Yeah, I've seen blue fawns from the dogs my pup came from. Shes a red, red nose. Her cousins look washed out. Almost grayish, even though still called fawn. Panser is actually a Red, not Fawn but my interpretation was a diluted looking red or fawn. I've also seen people call a black dog blue though. So its in the eyes of the beholder!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » January 30th, 2010, 8:17 pm

I wouldn't have believed it unless I'd seen it myself. Clifford was a very dilute blue fawn. We didn't really notice it until he got healthy and his coat really grew in nicely.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby juniper8204 » January 31st, 2010, 10:09 am

dlynne1123 wrote: I've also seen people call a black dog blue though. So its in the eyes of the beholder!

We had a lady come into the clinic not long ago that called her black dog bluenose for the simple fact that the dog's parents were both blue. I tried explaining that bluenose isn't a type of dog, only a color, and her dog was obviously pitch black, but she was having none of it, and was convinced her poorly bred mutt was a "rare bluenose pitbull." :nono: This was the same lady who said she could tell how many puppies this dog was going to have because she had ten teets, so she'd have a litter of 13. :crazy2:
Jen
Mommy to Mindy Lou and Moose

Pits are addicting!!! If I foster any more, my husband will have my head!
juniper8204
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 31st, 2010, 2:37 pm

Is blue fawn the one that is also called lilac? Or maybe something else... it looks kinda purplish
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby dlynne1123 » January 31st, 2010, 8:11 pm

mnp13 wrote:Is blue fawn the one that is also called lilac? Or maybe something else... it looks kinda purplish

Yes, I think its a good description...

http://www.atlkingpits.com/assets/image ... 007029.jpg

This what my pups mother looked like

And this was what her father looked like....

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/ameri ... d-nose.jpg

Kinda a washier red, that bright red...
Ryder - Rescue APBT
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 31st, 2010, 8:14 pm

mnp13 wrote:Is blue fawn the one that is also called lilac? Or maybe something else... it looks kinda purplish

Lilac in border collies is usually red dilutes, not black dilutes...

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/P ... Looks.html

Aussies are the same, you can have red and black, and dilutes of both...

http://www.bordercolliecolors.com/borde ... ilute.html

blue is a black dilute...blue merle is when the dilution gene affects part of the coat. Lilac is when the red is diulted.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby dlynne1123 » January 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm

I've also see this diluted gene in Jack Russels or rat terriers and beagles. Not sure how well bred they were but they had papers. Like a washed out look. Not even sure if its widely accepted or considered a flaw in these breeds.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 31st, 2010, 8:33 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:I've also see this diluted gene in Jack Russels or rat terriers and beagles. Not sure how well bred they were but they had papers. Like a washed out look. Not even sure if its widely accepted or considered a flaw in these breeds.

If I remember correctly, dilutes are acceptable in beagles...as it's "any hound color" in the standard. Rat terriers are allowed to have diultes too, I think, but not sure about JRTs.

The colors pop up in aussies, but they're not an accepted color...they just happen.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Pit Bull Talk