Do any of your dogs watch TV?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Xarpolis » January 29th, 2010, 7:43 am

I've noticed that sometimes when the TV is on, Baku pays attention if there is a dog on the screen. All the explosions or gunfire in the world doesn't get his interest but if he hears a single bark, suddenly he's watching.

For example, we were watching Futurama last night and every time the guy's dog made noise it got his attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_o9Fm_kwOw
My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 29th, 2010, 8:16 am

I'm re-reading "Inside of a Dog" by Alexandra Horowitz (phenomenal book, I highly recommend it) and her chapters on dogs' vision are awesome. I had no idea their vision was so different from ours.

Anyway, she said that dogs actually see "faster" than we do, because they can see a faster flicker rate than we can. That meant that before digital TV's, dogs couldn't see moving pictures on TV's - just still frames flashing rapidly because TV's were created with our flicker rate in mind. But now with digital TV's they can actually see the moving pictures. I'm not explaining it nearly as well as she does. lol I can't say enough good things about that book.

Back to your question, Inara does not watch TV but my friend's dog does, which is quite annoying during animal shows as she spends the entire time cooing at the TV and blocking our view. :giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » January 29th, 2010, 9:27 am

Indy watches Animal Planet. The rest of the crew only watch if they hear dogs barking, wolves or coyotes howling, etc.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby HappyChick » January 29th, 2010, 10:09 am

My dogs watch TV.

When I had my old TV, they would perk up or bark occasionally when dogs were barking in a show. Since I've had the Sony Bravia, I've noticed them actually watching the TV and not just when we have it on the Animal Planet channel. :D

I wondered why they watch TV more often now, I thought it was the size of the TV or the sound being better. Thanks Liz, for explaining.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2010, 10:11 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I'm re-reading "Inside of a Dog" by Alexandra Horowitz (phenomenal book, I highly recommend it) and her chapters on dogs' vision are awesome. I had no idea their vision was so different from ours.

Anyway, she said that dogs actually see "faster" than we do, because they can see a faster flicker rate than we can. That meant that before digital TV's, dogs couldn't see moving pictures on TV's - just still frames flashing rapidly because TV's were created with our flicker rate in mind. But now with digital TV's they can actually see the moving pictures. I'm not explaining it nearly as well as she does. lol I can't say enough good things about that book.

Back to your question, Inara does not watch TV but my friend's dog does, which is quite annoying during animal shows as she spends the entire time cooing at the TV and blocking our view. :giggle:

I'm in the middle of this book too...phenomenal! :)

Inara watches some programs...she used to seem to enjoy "Entourage"...she'd sit on the couch and watch "her boys" walking around on the screen. :|

But no, they generally don't watch TV or pay attention to it...

My parents can't watch AP because their dogs go crazy barking and lunging at the TV
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby WrightPullers » January 29th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Ours watch it too when they hear another animal...but, we also leave it on if we leave them out at home when we're running out for a few...it keeps them in line bc they think we're home :giggle:
WrightPullers
Just Whelped

Postby pitsnok » January 29th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Degan does the exact same thing.

Also, Baku is beautiful!!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » January 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm

I just had to agree that Baku is gorgeous!! :heartbeat:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Xarpolis » January 29th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Thanks. He just wants our love ALL THE TIME.

My wife's gorgeous also :D
My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby Ino » January 29th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Ino watches some tv- usually other dogs or animal shows, but does lose interest fast if it is not interesting enough for him. The kitties also watch if something is running around on the screen (anything that moves fast). I found that Ino likes youtube videos of other Pit Bulls barking and the kitties are fascinated by the gerbils of the carribbean video on youtube (and I find it to be a cute video too). :D
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 29th, 2010, 8:20 pm

We have friends with a catahoula and Patches will watch TV and attack horses on the screen. Also if they are moving across the screen, she will run with them and then look behind the TV to see if they are there.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Libby » January 29th, 2010, 9:50 pm

If there are high pitched noises on the TV, Gypsy will watch it for maybe 30 seconds. Thats about as much attention as the TV gets from the furry ones around here.
Love me, Love my dogs.
Libby
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby airwalk » January 30th, 2010, 1:06 am

Scooter will watch TV, but the other two don't.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » January 30th, 2010, 8:21 am

hugapitbull wrote: look behind the TV to see if they are there.

LMAO
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » January 30th, 2010, 9:43 am

Darlene only notices dogs that are barking or moving and small animals that are moving. She sits in front of the TV and growls.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Hoyden » January 30th, 2010, 7:53 pm

Birdie will watch TV if she hears something that catches her attention. It's kinda funny because she tilts her head, her ears move, she leans a little forward during some things.

It's when we go to the movies that she REALLY watches the screen. She won't lay down on the floor, even if I bring her little travel bed, she INSISTS on sitting in the chair next to me and she watches most of the movie. Her head follows images across the screen, she withdraws back when things blow up or come towards the audience, she tilts her head, her ears move, she does this thing that looks like she's leaning forward to see better, she startles when there are loud noises or explosions, just like the rest of the audience. She's never barked or made a sound in the movie theater though.

When we went to see "Hotel for Dogs" at a Birthday Party, I think people were watching Birdie as much as the movie.

I can't figure out how the hell she manages to sit in those movie seats that fold up with out getting folded up into the seat. Gremlin still gets folded up into the seat. :|
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby LBDZ9 » January 30th, 2010, 8:33 pm

One of our four dogs is totally into the TV, especially animal planet. . .but the other three don't seem to pay any attention to it.
LBDZ9
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk