Bananas for Behaviors

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 28th, 2010, 10:12 pm

I'm posting about food in the training section because I'm wondering if anybody has ideas on how I can use bananas as training treats. They're the only food I've ever seen Inara drool over and I feel as though I should use this to my advantage!

Maybe I could squish them up, put a dab on my finger and let Inara lick it? Not very portable, though. Any ideas?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 28th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Does she like banana chips? I use those as treats at times...crunch 'em up into smaller pieces.

Or go for the Gerber toddler fruits...freeze dried bananas.

Or...put bananas or banana baby food in a squeeze tube (I used to use the kind that you get for shampoo when you're traveling)...hiking stores carry ones that are easily filled.

Or...make a banana treat recipe...I have some on my site, and I have a ton more I can post here...my guys LOVE banana treats. Roo's Super Brownies are peanut butter and banana and bacon grease...everything Xanderoo loves. OMG...I just realized they're not up on my site...I'll fix that tonight, and post it for ya.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 28th, 2010, 10:53 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Roo's Super Brownies are peanut butter and banana and bacon grease...

Bananas and Bacon... who whould've thought??? :shock: :drool:

Please DO share that recipe ASAP. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 28th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Roo's Super Brownies: (my own recipe based on finicky Xanderoo's favorite flavors)

2 1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. flour
1/2 c. bacon grease (or oil...but grease/fat makes moister treats)
1/2 c. peanut butter (melted)
2 bananas (mashed)
3 eggs
dash cinnamon
optional: dash bacon salt

Mix wet ingredients in large bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Spread on greased cookie sheet (or parchment paper). Bake for 15 min. or until golden brown around the edges. Cool, cut and serve! These freeze really well, and it makes a good sized batch of tiny training treats!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » January 28th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Slice them and then dehydrate them in your oven so they are a little dry and rubbery.

Banana chips are deep fried and then banana flavoring is added. *bleck*
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2010, 12:13 am

mnp13 wrote:Banana chips are deep fried and then banana flavoring is added. *bleck*

:drool:
MMMM......:yum:

These are what I'd actually recommend...they're nice n' dry, and are bite-sized...perfect for training. They're freeze dried, so they melt in the mouth.
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Graduates- ... B000FPM23S

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2010, 1:37 am

Banana Bites:

2 2/5 cups flour
2/5 cup (100 ml) skim milk
1 egg
1 pureed banana
1 tbsp. corn syrup

Preheat oven to 300
Mix all the ingredients into a dough. Roll out or press the dough out onto a floured cookie sheet or parchment paper lined cookie sheet...about 1/2" thick.
Bake for 30 min....cool, cut and serve...if not used immediately, freeze or refrigerate.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » January 29th, 2010, 2:32 am

I just wanted to say that I am SO glad my dog isn't like this for Bananas because I so do not like them! *phew*
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 29th, 2010, 6:53 am

Lenny loves bananas! He gets one every night before he goes to bed. Just saying....
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 29th, 2010, 8:23 am

Awesome ideas, thanks! Those Roo's Super Brownies sound really good (for me!). And of course I'd have to eat all the bacon that was required for the bacon grease. :drool:

How would I dehydrate in my oven? What temperature and for how long?

I never thought about baby food...although I have a food processor so I could probably make my own. I'll have to look for those squeeze tubes. Those freeze-dried baby treats may be good, too.

Malli, I LOVE bananas and eat at least one every day. Inara always gets the very bottom piece so she sits in front of me and drools. It's gross.

Thank you all!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 29th, 2010, 9:41 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Awesome ideas, thanks! Those Roo's Super Brownies sound really good (for me!). And of course I'd have to eat all the bacon that was required for the bacon grease. :drool:

You can use oil if you'd prefer...;)

How would I dehydrate in my oven? What temperature and for how long?

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Make-Y ... &id=415936

I never thought about baby food...although I have a food processor so I could probably make my own. I'll have to look for those squeeze tubes.

I used to use baby food as the reward for my old mixed breed, Elwood, in flyball...he loved the strawberry banana flavor...and I could lick it off my hands if it got messy. ;) I used to funnel it into travel shampoo bottles...easy as pie.

Those freeze-dried baby treats may be good, too.

:yum:They're very, very tasty and are great treats due to the melt-in-your mouth feeling.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » January 29th, 2010, 1:15 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:
Malli, I LOVE bananas and eat at least one every day. Inara always gets the very bottom piece so she sits in front of me and drools. It's gross.

:puke:
I haven't eaten a banana ever or since I can't remember. No potassium for me thank you!

Oscar is like that for Strawberries and apples :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior