Excessive humping?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby pitsnok » January 27th, 2010, 12:48 am

So we have noticed that in the past week or so that Degan is a lot more interested in humping Harlow than he ever has been. We have always seen the occasional dominance hump from both dogs, but this is totally different. He follows her around a lot more, almost like he is obsessed with humping her.
They are both fixed, but if I didn't know better i would swear by the way he is acting that Harlow is in heat, and Degan still has his balls!
Degan's second birthday will be in May, and Harlow just turned one around the beginning of November...if that matters at all.

Does anyone know of any reason he could be doing this?
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » January 27th, 2010, 4:11 am

Are you CERTAIN That Harlow is spayed? Like, have you seen the scar or did you have her when she she had the surgery?

Altered males can still be all ga-ga over a girl in heat...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 27th, 2010, 6:42 am

Lenny is 10 and very neutered. He tries to hump Harleybird (8 years old) all the time. I figured it was a dominance thing, because I got Lenny at 9 and he and Harley had a few "let's work this out" fights. btw, Lenny is a Golden and Harl is Lab/Pit, so newbies don't think I was irresponsible, letting them work this Top Dog thing out.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 27th, 2010, 10:13 am

Inara humps Xander mercilessly...every time he tries to play ball or do anything. She has to try and control ever second of his life. Some how, Xander being the nicest guy in the world, just allows her to get away with her idiocy. :|

Xander on the other hand enjoys a nice after-dinner hump. He used to target Ripley...he'd come up alongside him, and hump the air... :dance: Now he targets the Wiener...and hikes him across the room like a football.

Living with herding dogs... :nono:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » January 27th, 2010, 10:20 am

Kayden humps Karma occasionally, but Karma (my female) seems to be the big humper in the house. Earl's too tall for her so she spends most of her time humping Kayden. She is pretty tiny and can't quite reach the sweet spot on Kayden so she lifts one leg up and humps to the side and then shifts to the other side and sways her hips about. It's actually a pretty good technique :|
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 27th, 2010, 10:23 am

Matt! lmao

The only dog Inara really humps is Connor, and that's all they do. Just switch back and forth humping each other for hours on end. It's actually quite pervy.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Ino » January 27th, 2010, 10:32 am

Ino, who is neutered, used to sniff the neighbor's Shepherd's rear and hump the air all the time while she had a skin infection (probably yeast from excessive licking- the worse it got, the more she licked). Her area smelled so strong I could smell her from a few feet away :puke: . As soon as the antibiotics cleared up her infection, Ino stopped sniffing/humping. One positive was that he did not try to mount her and just humped the air because she is an older gal and her hind legs would not be able to support his weight. I did redirect him whenever I caught him sniffing excitedly so that he would not get to the point where he did actually try to mount, and luckily it worked for him (treats trumped humping for him).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Hundilein » January 27th, 2010, 10:35 am

Any chance Harlow has a UTI? I heard somewhere, but now can't remember where, but I believe it was a reputable source, that being humped a lot can be a sign of a UTI.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby pitsnok » January 27th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Are you CERTAIN That Harlow is spayed? Like, have you seen the scar or did you have her when she she had the surgery?

Yep, we're certain--we had her spayed!

Any chance Harlow has a UTI? I heard somewhere, but now can't remember where, but I believe it was a reputable source, that being humped a lot can be a sign of a UTI.

Hm... I guess it could be possible, but I haven't noticed her peeing or drinking any more or less than normal, and doesn't seem to be in any pain. BUT, I have seen the hypothyroidism can cause dogs to be more likely to have a UTI so, it could be possible. I will keep an eye on her peeing more closely. We have to take her in soon anyway to have her blood levels checked to see if the medicine she is on is doing its job so we could always have that checked out.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » January 27th, 2010, 3:07 pm

With female dogs, they may squat and not actually produce urine, which is straining and a sign of a UTI so you'll want to see if you can actually "see the stream"
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 27th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Sometimes they just like humping... :| and what we call "the reverse" when the victim gets fed up and tells you off, so you just go UNDER to be annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIaSvq3OQI
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Huggabull612 » January 27th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Oh my God Brit this is exactly what I am dealing with at my house lately!!!

And it hasn't always been like this.....it started recently maybe a few months ago where Bugsie our neutered 2 yr old male has been OBSESSIVELY humping Macie our spayed 2 yr old female.
He gets red and pants like crazy I swear he is close to having a stroke! She hates it, she turns at him to get him to stop, growls and wiggles away but he follows and puts her in her place.....under him so he thinks.
He also sucks on her ears ALL the time!!!
Our other 1 yr old male doesn't do anything like this to her ever!

I don't get what it could be and I am sick of yelling at him, she gets so mad!!!

So I know what you are going through. It is so annoying, so out of the blue, and so freaking weird!!
~Jen~
Huggabull612
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » January 27th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Huggabull612 wrote:..... where Bugsie our neutered 2 yr old male has been OBSESSIVELY humping Macie our spayed 2 yr old female......She hates it, she turns at him to get him to stop, growls and wiggles away but he follows and puts her in her place.....under him so he thinks.....

I don't get what it could be and I am sick of yelling at him, she gets so mad!!!

Do you separate Bugsie away from Macie when he starts humping? If she hates it *that* much, I'd be concerned that this behaviour could trigger a fight.

Once one of my crew clearly shows that he/she doesn't want to be bothered by another dog and that dog is NOT getting the message, the offending dog is removed from the situation and given something else to do.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby WrightPullers » January 28th, 2010, 11:35 am

Could it be possible another female in the area is in heat? :| I've been told by many vets that another dog can smell my gal in heat from a mile away..meaning maybe he's confusing her? :crazy2: I know my intact male humps my ol spayed mama all the time-sucking her ears and all. I have to stay on him, she's NEVER snapped at anyone/thing..but I think his turns coming!
WrightPullers
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » January 28th, 2010, 1:47 pm

its true, just the smell of a female in season can make the boys act just plain weird. Even hanging out with a female in season will put her smell all over she's with and make you or the dog she was hanging out with VERY interesting. However, neutered males aren't usually nearly as crazy about it or even interested IME.

I agree with Jenifer though, whatever the cause I would make it clear to Degan that this behavior is not acceptable - he'll need consequences. It will keep Harlow happier and may even prevent a fight!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 28th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Sepp has turned into an obnoxious humper lately... :rolleyes2:
He does it when he's bored, mostly, and it's annoying as hell. I usually try to re-direct him w/a toy or an activity, but he's been in the crate for a time-out on several occasions. The cats really don't appreciate it either and they object very loudly. lol :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » January 28th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Excessive humping can also be caused by anxiety.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby jnreem » January 31st, 2010, 12:32 am

lol Buddy is still humping Bella and she has been fixed now and Buddy has been fixed for over a year now. Right before Bella just got fixed Beta ( my brothers female pit who is fixed) was not only humping Buddy (fixed male) but Bella who was not fixed at the time, it was a humpfest.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Pit Bull Talk