Orthopedic bed suggestions

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I would really love to get my old man a nice comfy memory foam ortho bed. I have been looking around and they seem pretty pricey. I honestly don't the price so much as long as the bed lasts! He's totally worth spending that extra money so he can be comfortable.

Does anyone currently use one they are happy with? Any suggestions? Things you've heard? Etc. etc.

Thanks all :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Pit♥bull » January 25th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Once 'settled in' they are sometimes difficult to move around on (not good for restless sleepers) and they do retain body heat. :|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » January 25th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I have one I bought for Earl at Sam's club and he LOVES it. It is really and heavy and has help but without any issues for 8 months now. The best part was it was only $30. I can check to see if they still have some this weekend if you want.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Pit♥bull » January 25th, 2010, 4:02 pm

I was talking human :shock:
LMAO
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » January 25th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:I was talking human :shock:
LMAO

Ha, that just made me laugh out loud. Especially after I went back and read the original post

I would really love to get my old man a nice comfy memory foam ortho bed. I have been looking around and they seem pretty pricey. I honestly don't the price so much as long as the bed lasts! He's totally worth spending that extra money so he can be comfortable.
maberi

Postby Pit♥bull » January 25th, 2010, 4:19 pm

OK Jenn.... The ball's in your court :P
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » January 25th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Now that the boys have had their fun :rolleyes2:

Most I've looked into have been quite expensive.
"Cot" style beds are supposed to be good for joints and stiffness etc, and Oscar has one, and once I made it padded, he loved it. We don't have any experience with the foam orthopedics, though.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby BigDogBuford » January 25th, 2010, 4:50 pm

I use the PetCots with a comfy bed on top for my old guys. I know there are a couple of members on here who have bought them and their dogs wouldn't use them.....

My dogs all love their PetCots but it took a couple of months for my more 'special' dogs to try them out.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Okay now that I've had a good laugh lol

Matt, yea if you happen to be in there and they have them, let me know!

Going to check out petcots now.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby iluvk9 » January 25th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Pit♥Bull wrote:I was talking human :shock:
LMAO

Dork.... :neener:

Do you have a lot of room? Mine love the twin mattress in their dog den.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2010, 7:52 pm

iluvk9 wrote:the twin mattress in their dog den.

Baby crib mattress -- check WalMart and Target. I've seen them quite cheap there. OR, if you know someone who is getting rid of a crib..... Do you have a "Once Upon A Child" store near you? They sell second-hand gently-used kids' stuff super-cheap.

I did get a nice bed for Katy at Costco, but she didn't care for it. Mac loved it so it became his! :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Oooooo I didn't think of that! I don't know if we have Once here but I'll check. What do you use to cover it?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Crib sheets. :wink:

I know you can take some queen fitted sheets and wrap them all the way around crib mattresses, depending on the depth of the fitted sheet. An old comforter pinned underneath works well, too.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Oh, and if the old man has trouble with incontinence, you can get waterproof crib sheets as well.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2010, 8:00 pm

I mean besides the obvious sheet. I'd like something comfy to put on top of it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby maberi » January 25th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Marinepits wrote:Baby crib mattress -- check WalMart and Target. I've seen them quite cheap there. OR, if you know someone who is getting rid of a crib..... Do you have a "Once Upon A Child" store near you? They sell second-hand gently-used kids' stuff super-cheap.

I did get a nice bed for Katy at Costco, but she didn't care for it. Mac loved it so it became his! :lol3:

For some reason my guys wouldn't get near those things. I put sheets and fleece blankets on them and they wouldn't lay on them :crazy2:

I ended up throwing them out last year. Spoiled dogs
maberi

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2010, 8:02 pm

maberi wrote:For some reason my guys wouldn't get near those things. I put sheets and fleece blankets on them and they wouldn't lay on them :crazy2:

That's like my crew and the bed cots. Perfectly good cots and they wouldn't touch them. :rolleyes2:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » January 25th, 2010, 8:04 pm

PS Our Marshalls and Bed Bath Beyond are having huge clearance sales -- I got a full size flannel comforter for Shorty's crate at BBB for $19.99. After using the 20% coupon it was $13.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » January 25th, 2010, 8:13 pm

I have one of these beds...a friend won it in a flyball raffle, and gave it to me. Ripley (who has arthritis) LOVES it...

They're not cheap, but it seems to be holding up really well...

http://www.petobedstore.com/BedStore.html
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby LMM » January 25th, 2010, 8:16 pm

Omg Erin, Four would LOVE this! He would curl right up in the middle where it's indented!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health