Recalled ketamine - Need Vibes

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby plebayo » January 22nd, 2010, 3:10 pm

Hopefully you all have some good thoughts to spare. I am hoping to find out if the ketamine used on my cat is what killed him almost a year ago. If it was a part of the recall it may be the reason that he died.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Jenn » January 22nd, 2010, 3:28 pm

Did he have cancer?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » January 22nd, 2010, 4:09 pm

Jenn wrote:Did he have cancer?

OH man! I was in hurry and I totally posted this in the wrong forum. I guess i'm just used to coming into this one, sorry!
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » January 22nd, 2010, 4:13 pm

plebayo wrote: If it was a part of the recall it may be the reason that he died.

Jesus, that's scary. :(
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » January 22nd, 2010, 4:51 pm

totally scary! what happened?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 22nd, 2010, 7:03 pm

Sad and scary. I can't imagine what you are feeling right now. :hug3:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby plebayo » January 22nd, 2010, 10:49 pm

Malli wrote:totally scary! what happened?

Well, a year ago March 20th I volunteered my cat for a blood transfusion. We had a patient dying with leukemia so I got my cat. Anyway cat's as you may know aren't always as patient as dogs and we decided to knock him out instead of just give him a little torb. [Torb sedates them, but does not put them under anesthesia.] We used .8 valium and .8 ketamine. He was a 14# cat. We drew 55ccs of blood from him. A cat his size could easily give at least 60ccs of blood and that is at the lower end anyway. Anyway we drew the blood, his color wasn't amazing but he was a white cat to begin with. We intubated him and took a couple of bladder x-rays. I had just finished developing when my friend and fellow technician was like "He isn't breathing!" they rushed him to the surgery table, my sister placed a catheter, they tried to give some of his blood back in case that was the issue - nothing.

To this day we still really don't know what happened. I did not do a necropsy, I was not in the mind frame to have my cat cut open. I have a couple of theory's but there isn't anything solid. It would just be amazing if the ketamine we had used had been on the recall list because at least there is a potential reason for this to have happened. I've been feeling guilty about everything since it happened and it would be mind easing to know that it really may have been something that we couldn't control at all.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 22nd, 2010, 10:58 pm

I hope that you find out whatever information you need to bring some closure to you. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » January 23rd, 2010, 4:04 am

awe :( I'd just crop it up to freak accident, don't be hard on yourself.

Had he ever been given Ket/Val. before?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » January 23rd, 2010, 7:49 am

plebayo wrote: I've been feeling guilty about everything since it happened and it would be mind easing to know that it really may have been something that we couldn't control at all.

Suzanne, at times like this, you sometimes have to stop beating yourself up and not look for "the answer". Don't allow yourself to dwell on feeling you did something related to your kitty passing. He had a wonderful life with you and in the big picture, kindness and love towards our animals is what matters.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » January 23rd, 2010, 12:14 pm

I'm with Joyce 100% on this one. You be the best pawrent you can be and don't look back.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Nutrition & Health