Poor Mac's Batting a Thousand.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Marinepits » January 20th, 2010, 9:35 am

The hubby was walking Mac at o-dark-thirty. I heard him come back into the house and then he called up the stairs: "Uh, Jen? You need to come down here. NOW." :shock:

There was blood all over the rug because Mac completely tore off one of his main nails. I cleaned him up, then cleaned up the rug, the stairs, his crate, etc.

Here's his crate bed before it got tossed into the laundry:

WARNING: VERY OUCHY PICS AHEAD!

His poor footie:

Of course, the big lunkhead was all bouncy and happy, putting bloody footprints everywhere, and it didn't even bother him until I tried to clean it up. Then it was DRAMA TIME! Here is the "woe is me" face:

He won't even look at me now, LOL. He's on his other bed, sulking. Everytime I come into the room, he curls his foot under his body and turns his back to me. :rolleyes2: :lol3:

Thankfully, he's already on antibiotics because of his skin. Our yard is mud soup right now (can't WAIT until it freezes over again!) and there's no way to keep his foot clean and dry outside. He doesn't like his feet covered at all, so he's just going to have to tough it out until it heals.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Pit♥bull » January 20th, 2010, 9:57 am

Poor baby :( :hug3:

I love his "woe is me" face :ROFL2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » January 20th, 2010, 9:57 am

Ha, poor guy. Those injuries definitely sting

Any idea how he did it?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Marinepits » January 20th, 2010, 10:11 am

Pit♥Bull wrote:I love his "woe is me" face :ROFL2:

Me, too! It's so hard not to laugh at all his drama. :giggle:

maberi wrote:Any idea how he did it?

No clue. His nails are SO hard and thick, I just can't imagine how hard he must have hit it, caught it, whatever. Then again, he's pretty graceless when he's running around outside (think bull in china shop), so..... :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TinaMartin » January 20th, 2010, 10:13 am

Poor Mac. :(
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby HappyChick » January 20th, 2010, 10:25 am

Poor Mac. That looks very painful. :(
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 20th, 2010, 10:26 am

Oh that just makes me cringe. It hurts us like a mo-fo when a little bit of nail gets ripped off - I can't imagine tearing off a chunk like that. Poor kid. I think his woe is me face is quite appropriate!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Ino » January 20th, 2010, 10:58 am

Awww- poor Mac :sad2: !! That looks so painful. That last pic is too cute (eventhough the reason for his expression sucks). One good thing is (from the pics atleast) it looks like it snapped pretty evenly along the top so it will be easier to file it as it grows back and heals right. Ino has had a few breaks that were very jagged so we had to have the pieces removed by the vet because they would snag on things and the remaining pieces of the nail was loose. Some of his breaks were from running full speed across the uneven rocks by the stream, other breaks were caused by his obsession with digging and chewing through fallen trees along the trail we walk and others broke when there was an ice layer on top of the snow and he was too heavy to walk on top without falling through. I had to start pulling him away from the fallen trees because even with broken nails- he would not stop digging. It looked like a wood chipper got to the trees when he was done!! Only one bad break caused him lameness- the rest I only knew they happened because of blood in the snow. Now he is on suppliments for his because they kept breaking- the holistic vet gave him a mineral pill and a multi-vitamin/antioxidant wafer. The vet's thoughts were that the change in moisture in the winter was probably the issue for Ino because he did not break any in the warm weather. When he broke them, I could not cover his foot either- I tried the no chew self adhering bandages but he would shake the foot right and get it off during the walks :rolleyes2: . I even bought infant socks to cover it, but he was like Hudini with it- they did not stay on long!!!! Hopefully Mac's nail heals well and he has no more breaks. Sorry for rambling- I just know how much it sucks when they break them- it is still occasionally an issue for Ino fortunately the suppliments are helping him (Ino's situation is different because it is a recurring issue for him- I'm not trying to make recommendations for Mac- just sending good healing thoughts for him :D ).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 20th, 2010, 11:52 am

Ino wrote: I had to start pulling him away from the fallen trees because even with broken nails- he would not stop digging. It looked like a wood chipper got to the trees when he was done!!

OMG, Shorty does that -- she constantly has ragged nails, LOL. She also chews wood like a beaver. The neighbours and I had some trees taken down a couple of years ago and Shorty sat in front of the sliders the entire time, watching the guys work. When they left for the day, I let her outside and she immediately booked ass over to the fallen trees and started climbing all over, trying to chew and rip the branches off. She's so weird. :crazy2:

I can't find the pics from that time, but here she is last winter, doing the same thing in the neighbour's yard: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29059

Now he is on suppliments for his because they kept breaking- the holistic vet gave him a mineral pill and a multi-vitamin/antioxidant wafer.

What are the supplements? Shorty could use them, LOL.

So, the drama continues. I took him out to do his business and his nail started bleeding again -- when he came back inside, he went to his bed and bled on it. Now he won't get on the bed at all and keeps looking at it like EWWWWWWWW! :shake: That one goes in the washer next.....

His footie does hurt. When he went outside, he was trying to walk without that toe touching the gross ground. His contortions were funny but his toe looks SO painful. :(
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Pit♥bull » January 20th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Plenty of :goodthoughts: coming for Mac
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 20th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Biotin is a great supplement for nails.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » January 20th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I def. think Mac and Os were seperated at birth! Only Oscar would let me put something on his foot :rolleyes2:

Hope he feels better soon!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby furever_pit » January 20th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Poor Mac. I hope he feels better.

That last pic made me chuckle.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Ino » January 20th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Must be a short dog complex or something!!! He dug and chewed through one tree that was pretty thick and had fallen across our walking path. He tore at it every walk for a few weeks and even when he chewed a nice path completely through it- he had to keep going until a section about 10' long was nothing but woodchips. The suppliments that Ino is on is Ark Naturals Nu-Pet canine chewable wafers (the green food phytonutrients) which is the vitamin and antioxidant and the mineral pill is called Molybdan Compositum. The vitamins can be ordered online, but I am not sure if the mineral pill is something that can be ordered without a script or if regular vets carry it even because that one came from the holistic vet. It is a pill that gets crushed and put in his water 2X a day. It seems to be helping because this winter he has only broken 2 nails 1 of which was prior to starting the meds. The last break was not as bad as usual either. Last winter- we were averaging a break every week or 2....it was really bad. Hopefully he heals fast- nail breaks suck because they just have to heal on their own and there is not much we can do to make them more comfy (because they sabatoge our efforts....bandage removal,etc. :rolleyes2: ).
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » January 20th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Poor Mac Attack. :sad2: Have your Mommy me if you need anything. :hug3:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby hugapitbull » January 20th, 2010, 9:07 pm

That hurts just to look at the picture. Poor baby.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » January 20th, 2010, 10:18 pm

hugapitbull wrote:That hurts just to look at the picture. Poor baby.

x2 :shock: :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » January 21st, 2010, 7:59 pm

Is the nail "covering" ripped off?? I have never seen something like that.

And OUCH!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » January 21st, 2010, 8:10 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Is the nail "covering" ripped off??

Yep. It's all oozy today, poor dude. :(
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby TheRedQueen » January 21st, 2010, 8:30 pm

Poor guy...that looks really owie. :hug3: for Mac
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health