Three cheers for Alice!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby TheRedQueen » January 19th, 2010, 12:35 pm

If any of you remember Alice, the dog that Michelle had for a while after her sister's baby became allergic to her kisses...you'll want to see this!

Congratulations to Nora, she was matched with Alice, a spunky greyhound mix, on January 16th. We wish them all the success in their future partnership.

Thanks to all the wonderful Fidos volunteers who made this match possible!

Sandra Ball
Director – Client Services Program
Fidos for Freedom, Inc.

Yup, Alice came to MD to become a Hearing Dog...and she just got matched with her human partner! It's a mutual adoration in this case...it was clear from the first time Nora worked with Alice that it was a match. 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 19th, 2010, 12:45 pm

OMG that's so fantastic!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » January 19th, 2010, 12:47 pm

YAY for happy endings/new beginnings!!! :confetti: :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby maberi » January 19th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Holy crap that is AMAZING!!! I remember meeting Alice at Michelle's house. Such a sweet sweet dog. I'm glad she is making a difference in someone's life!!
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » January 19th, 2010, 1:37 pm

No pics up yet of Alice and Nora...I'll post those when they get up on the website.

But here are some pics of my boy Denver and his new partner... :D (not to hijack my own thread or anything)
http://www.fidosforfreedom.org/assist-d ... denver.php
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 19th, 2010, 1:41 pm

That just has to totally make you all ooey-gooey and warm inside, doesn't it? :heartbeat:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » January 19th, 2010, 1:43 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:That just has to totally make you all ooey-gooey and warm inside, doesn't it? :heartbeat:

Exactly. 8)

I've got two new rescues coming in two weeks *hopefully* I love the rescued SD stories the best. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » January 19th, 2010, 1:46 pm

:thumbsup:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Hundilein » January 19th, 2010, 10:14 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:No pics up yet of Alice and Nora...I'll post those when they get up on the website.

But here are some pics of my boy Denver and his new partner... :D (not to hijack my own thread or anything)

Ahem. Don't you mean OUR boy Denver? :D Thanks for sharing the link. I haven't been on the Fidos site lately. Now what's this about two new rescues. I thought I was your go to girl for puppies. :devil:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 19th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Hundilein wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:No pics up yet of Alice and Nora...I'll post those when they get up on the website.

Ahem. Don't you mean OUR boy Denver? :D Thanks for sharing the link. I haven't been on the Fidos site lately. Now what's this about two new rescues. I thought I was your go to girl for puppies. :devil:

:oops:

Our boy Denver...;)

I've got two older rescues from northern Va...a contact from here on PBT! I can actually go meet them, as she lives near Lauren (my sis).

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » January 20th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Did you email Teale? :D
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 20th, 2010, 4:10 pm

mnp13 wrote:Did you email Teale? :D

I never got her email from ya...can you PM it to me please? :D

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » March 14th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Alice and her new human partner, Nora, are moving right along...they just started their probationary year...

Client Services would like to announce that Nora and hearing dog, Alice, a beautiful hound mix began their probationary year on March 13, 2010. We wish them a wonderful, adventurous year as they go forth in representing Fidos as a working team. Please join us in congratulating them as they begin this new chapter in their lives. CONGRATULATIONS to the Team!

I'm so tickled with this...*beaming*

To explain further...we get our dogs/pups from different sources, rescues and breeder donations. Sometimes they come in as pups, sometimes as older dogs (like Alice). They spend 1-2 years in training depending on their age. When they're with the trainer, they start working with different clients on the training floor on Wed. nights and Sat. mornings. The trainers look to see if there is a person that each dog seems to work best with. We match skills to needs...so a dog that does hearing alerts won't go to a person with a mobility problem, and we won't match a dog that doesn't do hearing alerts with a deaf or hard of hearing person. ;) Alice will be doing Hearing Alerts for Nora, who is hard of hearing...Nora also rides in a scooter at times, since her balance isn't good...so Alice works alongside her no matter how she's moving. :) The probationary year starts after the dog has been matched with his or her human partner, and after they've done a certain number of hours together with a trainer in tow. During the probationary year, Fidos still pays for everything...food, vet care, equipment, etc. If something goes wrong, Fidos can still take the dog back during this period. After this probationary year, the dog is signed over to the client, and they take over the expenses. :)

To get the probationary year is a great thing...it means a LOT of work on Nora's part, as well as Alice's trainers and "puppy raisers" (in quotes because she wasn't really a puppy when she came into the program).

:cheer:

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » March 14th, 2010, 6:07 pm

That's SO awesome! Alice is such a great dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bluegreen13 » March 15th, 2010, 8:26 pm

:dance: I am so happy that Alice has found a place where all of her energy can be put to good use. She was a great dog who learned quickly and was very driven to please. She is a very lucky to have been able to find a new life with so much purpose. Thank you, Michelle, for keeping me in the loop on her. There are many days that I miss her exuberance, but I know that she is where she should be.
bluegreen13
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » March 15th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Well...she and Nora *should* be graduating next year...so you guys can all come attend the banquet in April 2011! :)

And Sarah should be there too, since Denver and Moxie will be graduating too!

TheRedQueen

Postby CinderDee » March 16th, 2010, 10:09 am

That's such great news! WTG Alice & all the humans who helped her!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Hundilein » March 16th, 2010, 10:18 am

TheRedQueen wrote:Well...she and Nora *should* be graduating next year...so you guys can all come attend the banquet in April 2011! :)

This is so exciting! Thanks for keeping us updated!
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 16th, 2010, 3:59 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Well...she and Nora *should* be graduating next year...so you guys can all come attend the banquet in April 2011! :)

I will ABSOLUTELY go!!!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bluegreen13 » December 26th, 2010, 11:36 pm

This weekend's festivities made me think of Alice and I wondered how she is doing. Are there any updates on her progress with her partner?
bluegreen13
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Off-Topic