Help with Bad Behavior.

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Xarpolis » January 18th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Let me preface this by saying that Baku is the essence of calm. He's a 6 month old puppy that's practically lethargic. He just wants to relax ALL THE TIME.

My mom loves how he acts and purchased his sister (Coco) from the family that sold me him.
She's also a dream. Very calm and loving.

Here's where the trouble starts:

Any time they are around each other, Coco and Baku can not stop jumping around like lunatics. Baku reminds me of a middle school student when it comes to a female, because he just WILL NOT leave her alone. If she wants a drink of water, sure enough so does he. If she wants a bone, suddenly he wants the same one (even if there's another right there). He chases her around constantly and doesn't listen to us at all. Coco, on the other hand, is a real instigator. She'll wait for Baku to finally calm down, then she'll run over to him and start him up again and all hell breaks loose once more. Then she plays the part of a little angel (What did I do?).

This is REALLY annoying and I want it to stop. I don't want to make it so that they never see each other (which would fix the problem). I just want to make them behave and be calm. Coco is going to the vet to get fixed in about a month. Baku is waiting until he's a little over 1 year old.

HELP!
My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby pitsnok » January 18th, 2010, 4:57 pm

It could possibly get better with time. Degan and Harlow were this way for the first few months that we had Harlow. She is still the instigator though, and they still jump around like lunatics, but they also cuddle, and play separately, and leave each other alone a lot now too.
Sorry I don't have any advice, but I didn't want you to feel like you're the only one out there with dogs like this!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Xarpolis » January 18th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Let me also add this in.

My mom and I do not live together. Baku lives in my house, Coco lives in her house. They only see each other once every week or two for a few hours. And they just go crazy. I know that you guys have a problem with him, but Cesar Millan on Twitter said "In a natural setting, dogs don’t bark, yelp, or jump in a burst of affection when reuniting with their pack mates."

So why is it so damn natural for him to flip out over seeing his sister? And I know that he doesn't view her as a sister, more a potential mate, but still.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby airwalk » January 18th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Well I don't know..my group go a bit nutty when I have had one with me all day and we come home to the other two. When we put the play groups together at the shelter they bark and jump around and act like goofballs for a bit as well. I do think it is perfectly natural for a display of goofiness.

Also they are still puppies and are going to act like puppies....6 month olds are puppies, they are learning, challenging, pushing the boundaries and have almost endless supplies of energy. In a few months they will begin the brat phase...they will push every boundary and test, test, test the rules with you and each other.

My Doog is 9 months and is fully in the brat phase. He will steal toys, be pushy, rude and just generally a complete pest with my adult dogs.

They don't become "dogs" until they are about 2 and some dogs even later than that. You may be expecting too much from two puppies. I'm sure the trainers on here can give you lots of ideas for how to move them from goofy puppy to calming and containing...but I'm pretty sure they will tell you that puppies are puppies as well.
airwalk
I live here

Postby pitsnok » January 18th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Also they are still puppies and are going to act like puppies....6 month olds are puppies, they are learning, challenging, pushing the boundaries and have almost endless supplies of energy. In a few months they will begin the brat phase...they will push every boundary and test, test, test the rules with you and each other.

Agreed! Mine are 1 and 1 and a half and they are definitely still puppies!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 18th, 2010, 6:40 pm

airwalk wrote:Well I don't know..my group go a bit nutty when I have had one with me all day and we come home to the other two. When we put the play groups together at the shelter they bark and jump around and act like goofballs for a bit as well. I do think it is perfectly natural for a display of goofiness.

My Doog is 9 months and is fully in the brat phase. He will steal toys, be pushy, rude and just generally a complete pest with my adult dogs.

They don't become "dogs" until they are about 2 and some dogs even later than that. You may be expecting too much from two puppies. I'm sure the trainers on here can give you lots of ideas for how to move them from goofy puppy to calming and containing...but I'm pretty sure they will tell you that puppies are puppies as well.

:clap: well said Diana!

Dogs (and puppies especially) don't come pre-programmed to be "calm" in all situations. You may be lucky to have some laid-back puppies, but this won't be the case in every situation. :| You've already seen one situation that is just too distracting and fun for the pups. Littermates or not, puppies enjoy being around other dogs and puppies...and it's good learning for them. They learn soooo many social behaviors around each other that they can't learn from us as humans. That's what playing and interacting is all about. I'd be happy to have a situation where pups can meet on equal footing and have some good interactions...and a situation where you can work on manners at the same time...fantastic! 8)

A good time for some clicker training, working on calling away for good treats, and letting them go play again. Use the playing as a reward for behavior you do want! Use this excitement instead of trying to squash it!

I might be getting a 5 month old standard poodle puppy in the near future for Service Dog training...and a friend of mine has her litter mate as a pet dog. They haven't seen each other for quite a while...but when I get Shimmy, and she sees Mia for the first time in months, I thoroughly expect the excitement level to hit the roof! :shock: Not necessarily because they're littermates...but basically because they're two young pups that have similar play styles and are the same age! :)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » January 18th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Xarpolis wrote:I know that you guys have a problem with him, but Cesar Millan on Twitter said "In a natural setting, dogs don’t bark, yelp, or jump in a burst of affection when reuniting with their pack mates."

Well, it's not that I have a "problem" with him, I just think for the most part he's generally full of it.

What natural setting is he referring to? There is no "natural setting" for dogs - they are domesticated animals. Ruby and Connor act like idiots every time we let them out of their crates, and they are crated exactly 3 feet away from each other.

They are puppies acting like puppies - Inara and Connor act just like that when they are together, and they are 2 and 6 years old respectively. Some dogs like to play like total wackos. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » January 18th, 2010, 11:32 pm

I might be getting a 5 month old standard poodle puppy in the near future for Service Dog training...and a friend of mine has her litter mate as a pet dog. They haven't seen each other for quite a while...but when I get Shimmy, and she sees Mia for the first time in months, I thoroughly expect the excitement level to hit the roof! Not necessarily because they're littermates...but basically because they're two young pups that have similar play styles and are the same age

:o :shock: :o Erin...a Standard...omg! You will have to tell me how training works..if it works really, really well...lie to me make me feel better :mrgreen:. That aside, yes I would anticipate they will be fruity, because Standards have a different style of play than many other breeds and their cues are often misread by other breeds.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » January 18th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Get a couple of Boxers together and THEN tell me about whacko playing. :crazy2:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby airwalk » January 18th, 2010, 11:37 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Get a couple of Boxers together and THEN tell me about whacko playing. :crazy2:

true dat
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » January 18th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Nothing quite like trying to round them up and taking a straight Boxer punch to the gut. >(
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » January 19th, 2010, 12:17 am

airwalk wrote:
I might be getting a 5 month old standard poodle puppy in the near future for Service Dog training...and a friend of mine has her litter mate as a pet dog. They haven't seen each other for quite a while...but when I get Shimmy, and she sees Mia for the first time in months, I thoroughly expect the excitement level to hit the roof! Not necessarily because they're littermates...but basically because they're two young pups that have similar play styles and are the same age

:o :shock: :o Erin...a Standard...omg! You will have to tell me how training works..if it works really, really well...lie to me make me feel better :mrgreen:. That aside, yes I would anticipate they will be fruity, because Standards have a different style of play than many other breeds and their cues are often misread by other breeds.

Yup, if/when I get her, I'll update her progress in the SD training thread. I'm excited...she's related to my old SD in training, Hogan. I tested the litter...and dubbed her "Hoganette" as she was my pick for the SD. She was bred by a friend of mine. I haven't had a poodle around for a while now...lol.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » January 19th, 2010, 7:54 am

lol

Mine live together, and are crated - like Michelles dogs - 3 feet away from each other.
When I let them out in the yard together though - you could swear that they haven't seen each other in months. It's total craziness for about 15 minutes... running, jumping, barking, wrestling. :shock:
I usually don't even try to interfere until they have worn each other out a little bit. :rolleyes2:

I think what you're seeing is not bad behavior... it's totally normal puppy interaction.

As for this -
but Cesar Millan on Twitter said "In a natural setting, dogs don’t bark, yelp, or jump in a burst of affection when reuniting with their pack mates.

Have you ever seen wolf cubs play together??? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 19th, 2010, 7:58 am

mnp13 wrote:Inara and Connor act just like that when they are together, and they are 2 and 6 years old respectively. Some dogs like to play like total wackos. :|

Pssst...Inara's 4. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Xarpolis » January 20th, 2010, 11:29 pm

I made another, more recent video of Baku. It was filmed early this evening when I got home from work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVZ3HJnGhEE

I have a question about the bite that he did at the end. Is that a playful bite or was it potentially dangerous? He didn't growl / bark or anything like that, but he went for the other dog's neck. After the video stopped we pulled them apart and he kept trying to jump back on him.

Any ideas what I should do about that behavior, or just let it continue? (supervised, of course)
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » January 20th, 2010, 11:44 pm

Looked like totally appropriate puppy play to me... unless someone else sees something I've missed. :| :wink:

The "bite" at the end was, I think, meant to grab the stick... and missed. Mine do it all the time. :giggle:

After the video stopped we pulled them apart and he kept trying to jump back on him.

The game wasn't over yet. lol

I didn't hear any aggressive growling or yelping-in-pain... :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » January 21st, 2010, 12:37 am

I agree with Christine, I think he missed the stick and figured he'd chew on Skylar's neck for a while...since it was there. ;) Sky didn't seem upset, and that's what to look for. Dogs know when play changes...they're not stupid. ;)

Very compatible playmates, imho...big loose movements, very comfortable playing...easy-going body language. :)

TheRedQueen

Postby RedChrome » January 21st, 2010, 12:01 pm

I think their play looks very decent with each other! My dad and little sister have 2 littermate Boxers and they are horrid compared to that video BUT they are fairly good with each other and other dogs. Their play style is just really really rough!

I'd say just keep letting them interact supervised!
Courtney
RedChrome
Just Whelped

Postby Xarpolis » January 21st, 2010, 11:01 pm

The video wasn't him with the sister. That was just one of my neighbors dogs. They've been friends for a while.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby dlynne1123 » January 24th, 2010, 4:34 pm

airwalk wrote:Well I don't know..my group go a bit nutty when I have had one with me all day and we come home to the other two. When we put the play groups together at the shelter they bark and jump around and act like goofballs for a bit as well. I do think it is perfectly natural for a display of goofiness.

Haha, Panser just turned two in November is is still a 'tard' of a pup! I think shes lacking the maturity gene. And this is after calming classes and focus classes.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior