Sinonasal Carcinoma

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Jenn » January 10th, 2010, 9:34 pm

Yay for good news!! :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby plebayo » January 10th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Bleh.

Just to keep you all in the loop. I am going into work tomorrow, working on my day off [yay money!] I am going to talk to my fellow techs/vets about where to go from here.

I am not sure we can continue chemo. Her vessels were really bad, granted she was sick, but the catheter placement was horrible and I don't want to have her struggling and screaming through the placement because if it is that bad for her, I don't want her to be worried something bad is going to happen every time she comes to work with me. I'm going to talk to the vet who saw her Saturday tomorrow and get a feel for what he thinks. Tuesday I can talk to the guy in charge of her chemo and see what he thinks about it. I want her to have the maximum amount of time on this earth she can have, but not at the cost of her getting sick or hating life. I'll post here once we have a "plan".
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Marinepits » January 10th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Sending good thoughts. I know it's a difficult decision. :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » January 11th, 2010, 6:55 am

Good thoughts to you and Sophie as you struggle with these decisions. The decision process isn't fun. Make each one as they come, and always based on what is best for Sophie. There are no wrong decisions in the cancer game, each person has to make them based on their circumstance.

Be strong and know you have this great community behind you.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby plebayo » January 11th, 2010, 11:34 am

hugapitbull wrote:Good thoughts to you and Sophie as you struggle with these decisions. The decision process isn't fun. Make each one as they come, and always based on what is best for Sophie. There are no wrong decisions in the cancer game, each person has to make them based on their circumstance.

Be strong and know you have this great community behind you.

:hug3: You give the best advice ever.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby Pit♥bull » January 11th, 2010, 11:57 am

:goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: :goodthoughts: We're behind you all the way.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 12th, 2010, 4:40 am

I'm sorry you have to make this decision at all but you'll know in your heart what the right thing is for Sofie. You'll both be in my thoughts. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 12th, 2010, 8:03 am

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you guys and sending lots of good thoughts your way. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby ArtGypsy » January 12th, 2010, 8:47 am

Out here on the Prairie.........Holding For You, Peace. Follow What You Know is Best for Sophie and You...* I can't give better advice/insight than the folks who have gone before me, who have experienced their own struggles*.

Jody
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby plebayo » January 13th, 2010, 12:34 am

Out here on the Prairie.........Holding For You, Peace. Follow What You Know is Best for Sophie and You...* I can't give better advice/insight than the folks who have gone before me, who have experienced their own struggles*.

*Squish*

You all rock :)
----

Well...

Sofie is finished with chemo.

I talked to the doctor who has been doing the chemo and he agreed that if I don't want to continue with it, we've given it a good go. My reasons for stopping are: 1.) I don't want Sofie to get pancreatitis again, this was no fun. 2.) She hates the catheter placement and now that her vessels suck it will be more painful. 3.) If we have to place it in a back leg it would freak me out because I don't want her leg to rot off.

He said he gives her at least 6mos. Time will tell, obviously. I imagine if she keeps doing as well as she has then maybe she could even make it a year? We get what we get, I don't want to do this to her anymore. The vet suggested maybe in 3 months doing another round of chemo. We'll see. I just want her to be happy and as healthy as she can be.

I'll still update this thread now and again with random updates. I'm making a "Day in the life of Seth" video, but I want to work on one for Sofie too, although her daily activities aren't too exciting haha.

Thanks to everyone here at Pit Bull Talk for having us in your thoughts. You are all amazing, you have no idea.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2010, 12:48 am

plebayo wrote: 3.) If we have to place it in a back leg it would freak me out because I don't want her leg to rot off.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Mick got ALL his chemo through his back legs. Nothing rotted, nothing fell off... :wink:

I'm glad Sofie is done w/chemo for now... sounds like it really took a toll on her, and she could use a break. You are an awesome person to consider "the bigger picture" and put her quality of life first and foremost.
Gentle butt scratches to her from me... she's quite the fighter!!! :D :D :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » January 13th, 2010, 12:59 am

Mick got ALL his chemo through his back legs. Nothing rotted, nothing fell off... :wink:

This is true. My fear mostly is that the carboplatin is given over the course of 15 minutes and back leg catheters are harder to tape in and if she moved and it got out of the vessel that would totally suck. She digs around and makes a bed so I can see it happening.

Mick was probably just way better behaved than my dog, hehe.

Gentle butt scratches to her from me... she's quite the fighter!!! :D :D :D

Passing 'em along. :)
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2010, 1:18 am

plebayo wrote:

This is true. My fear mostly is that the carboplatin is given over the course of 15 minutes and back leg catheters are harder to tape in and if she moved and it got out of the vessel that would totally suck. She digs around and makes a bed so I can see it happening.

Mick was probably just way better behaved than my dog, hehe.

Oh good GOD, Suzanne... :lol3:

Mick was muzzled and restraint (by me) for each visit. The Oncologist/vet techs used his back legs because nobody wanted to get too close to his face. :oops: :P
He was one of THE most fear-aggressive dogs I've ever had the pleasure to be owned by, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person he never wanted to attack.
He was also my very first Pit, and my heart dog. :heartbeat:

God, I miss my little Beast. :sad2:

But, yeah, I understand your concerns about Sofie... when Mick received the carboplatin I think we all held our breath for the whole 20 minutes it took to have it administered.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby plebayo » January 13th, 2010, 1:28 am

But, yeah, I understand your concerns about Sofie... when Mick received the carboplatin I think we all held our breath for the whole 20 minutes it took to have it administered.

I hate to bring up a sore spot if you don't want to talk about him - I understand totally.

How was he for the catheter placements? I guess my biggest issue is she is getting more and more unhappy/scared/weenie about the placement. I guess if she was younger I might push the issue further, but after this whole pancreatitis this, I just want her to be well, you know?
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2010, 2:08 am

plebayo wrote:

I hate to bring up a sore spot if you don't want to talk about him - I understand totally.

How was he for the catheter placements? I guess my biggest issue is she is getting more and more unhappy/scared/weenie about the placement. I guess if she was younger I might push the issue further, but after this whole pancreatitis this, I just want her to be well, you know?

Oh, boy... it took some doing to keep him quiet. I used to bring him in the room by myself, made him lay on his side, w/his head in my lap and my leg twisted around his upper body while holding him by the head and leg so he couldn't move... if you can picture that... :rolleyes2: lol
Then the Oncologist and a vet tech would quietly announce themselves, enter the room, wait for him to stop struggling against me... and get to work as quickly and efficiently as possible, and as far away from his head as possible. They used to stretch his hind legs out as much as they could... nobody spoke to him except me, and I'm pretty sure everyone in the room said a prayer on a regular basis. As long as Mick couldn't actually see anyone who was working on him it was much easier to keep him contained.
He would usually shake and growl the whole time while I would speak to him in a very calm voice. Not how I felt at all, but... you know? :wink:
He did get a little better over time, but we practiced the "chemo position" ad nauseum at home - at least 3 times a day for five months. Muzzle and all.
Towards the end of the treatments (probably when we had about 2 months left) Mick would plop in my lap without me having to tell him, and our Oncologist used to tell me that she could tell that all the vocalization was turning into a "token growl"... not meant to be overly aggressive, but just to keep her on her toes. :giggle:
Mick was ALWAYS muzzled and restraint though, and I always considered him to be very dangerous to others during those visits.
I am still so very grateful to his Oncologist for even agreeing to treat him... the woman and her staff had guts, especially after they saw him "in action". :shock:

You know Sofie better than any of us... if things are getting too stressful/painful for her you are the only person who can decide what's in her best interest.
When Mick came out of remission he did very, very poorly w/the oral chemo. The first pill completely wiped him out within a matter of days. My vet suggested prednisone and pain meds to keep him alive for another couple of weeks, but - I just couldn't do it. He wasn't eating, he was very uncomfortable, and he was in a lot of pain. His organs were shutting down and his lungs were filling w/fluid. I know that he would've kept fighting, but it would've been for my benefit... you know? His body just couldn't keep up w/his spirit anymore, and I knew that, so... :( :cry:

Micks quality of life had always been my first priority, just like Sofies is yours. I think 6 months to a year is an excellent prognosis, considering her illness. I KNOW you will both make the very best of her remaining time. :hug3:

But, no matter what you decide to do - I'm 150% behind you.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 13th, 2010, 7:53 am

Suzanne, it sounds like you're putting Sofie's comfort and needs first and foremost, and I applaud you for that. Lots of hugs to both you and Miss Sofie. :hug3:

And then a hug for Christine, just 'cause we all miss Mick. :hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby plebayo » January 13th, 2010, 11:20 am

He would usually shake and growl the whole time while I would speak to him in a very calm voice. Not how I felt at all, but... you know? :wink:

Well it sounds like to me the whole experience really was probably a good thing for him in the long run. It probably made your relationship stronger [you being able to help him focus and not kill anyone] and gave your veterinarians a run for their money. Come on, not all of the procedures that come in should be easy :p Now that you've shared that story he's probably rolling around laughing at the mischief he caused. Good boy hehe. Thanks for sharing your experience :mrgreen:

Sofie, luckily, is not to the point of trying to eat anyone. I mean, she doesn't really have any teeth anyway so it's not a huge issue :| However, we've been acing her to place the front leg catheters which is fine, but even the ace kind of knocks her back for 2 days. Since the placement on Saturday was so difficult - she had to be muzzled and put on her side I just don't think I want to watch that happen. Plus, like you've experienced I would be worried that Sofie would move around too much, or the back leg catheter wouldn't be in just right, or taped enough and she would move. I think I'd feel differently if it was one of the vets giving the chemo, but since I "get" to do it I'd rather not be responsible for something happening. Plus we just put her in a kennel vs. someone holding her while I give it. :|

Micks quality of life had always been my first priority, just like Sofies is yours. I think 6 months to a year is an excellent prognosis, considering her illness. I KNOW you will both make the very best of her remaining time. :hug3:

But, no matter what you decide to do - I'm 150% behind you.

Thank you so much for all of your support, you've been through it all and your words are good reassurance for me.

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Suzanne, it sounds like you're putting Sofie's comfort and needs first and foremost, and I applaud you for that. Lots of hugs to both you and Miss Sofie. :hug3:

And then a hug for Christine, just 'cause we all miss Mick. :hug3:

I'm trying. I want to do the right thing, I feel so incomplete because we're not finishing our course of chemo, but I don't think I can handle another sickness episode.

Hugs x2 for Mick :hug3:
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2010, 11:37 am

plebayo wrote:I'm trying. I want to do the right thing, I feel so incomplete because we're not finishing our course of chemo, but I don't think I can handle another sickness episode.

When it comes to cancer treatments there is no "right" or "wrong" - it's a crap shoot, really, because each animal reacts differently to chemo.
And given that Sofie is an elderly lady... maybe not completing this course IS what's best for her. :wink:
Go w/your heart first, your gut second, and take your cues from her. :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » January 13th, 2010, 11:46 am

Suzanne you have done a wonderful job with Sofie. Don't second guess your decisions as they are made out of pure love for her.

I understand your feelings about Sofie and the catheter placements. Vinny never made a fuss of getting the catheters, but I could tell it was painful for him. He had always loved our visits to the vet, but toward the end, he started to show some fear/apprehension when we went. I think he was very close to "having enough" of it too.

Enjoy the time you have now with Sofie. You have been blessed with the opportunity to enjoy her and love her awhile longer. Make it the best time of her life, do special things with her. When she is gone you will be thankful that you had this opportunity. Take it from someone who knows.

Much love and good thoughts to you both. :hug3:
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 13th, 2010, 6:37 pm

The carboplatin must do bad stuff to the veins. Trouble had 5 treatments - 2 in the front leg, 2 in one rear and 1 in the other rear. The veins would not tolerate more than 2 treatments.

Remember - there is no time stamp on her butt, only statistics. Statistics are only numbers, and no one knows what is ahead for you and Sofia. One day at a time, and enjoy each and every moment you spend with her.

Let Sofie teach you to lead a dogs life. :wink:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

PreviousNext

Return to Canine Cancer