Canine Cancer Research

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 10th, 2010, 12:19 am

Many of you know that I work for a private cancer research institute.
Recently we were awarded a very nice grant and some generous funding from the National Cancer Institute, Van Andel Research Institute, and private donations in order to start a very ambitious canine cancer research project.

Here is some information regarding the project for anyone who is interested. I'm really trying to get the word out there in case anyone here would like to participate or knows other owners who may be interested.

Many tumors considered rare in humans are relatively common in certain breeds of dogs. This indicates that there is an underlying hereditary or genetic component to this disease. Our objective is to identify that hereditary or genetic component. To do this, we have formed a consortium of leading scientists, physicians, and veterinarians at multiple institutions across the United States. We will analyze collected DNA and RNA samples from certain pedigreed dogs and cancer affected dogs for genetic patterns that are associated with this disease. These patterns may form the basis of genetic tests that can tell us whether a particular dog is a carrier of a defective gene that will cause a cancer. Also, these studies will provide important clues about cancers in people.

The first five cancers we are focusing on are lymphoma (lymphosarcoma), osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma (and splenic masses), oral melanoma, and malignant histiocystosis.
If you have a dog affected by cancer and would be interested in participating in the study by donating blood and/or tumor samples from your dog, please feel free to contact me.

Our website is still in the beginning stages, but it can be accessed here: http://www.vai.org/helpingdogs
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 10th, 2010, 12:21 am

What an awesome thing! I'm going to make this a sticky for you. :)
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby CinderDee » January 10th, 2010, 2:39 am

Kato is donating blood. We have the tubes here and will be sending it out on Monday. It makes me happy to do something to help so maybe others won't have to go through this.

Thanks Allie! :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

Thanks for the support-- and the sticky. :)
I just wanted to get the word out there about what were doing so we don't miss out on owners who would like to help. I know the disease afflicts so many of our loved ones.
I'm happy to be a part of this project.

Dee-- you and Kato are superstars. :D
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » January 10th, 2010, 11:01 am

YOU are awesome!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby iluvk9 » January 10th, 2010, 11:21 am

This is phenomenal, and I wish you ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD for helping our dogs.

CinderDee wrote:Kato is donating blood. We have the tubes here and will be sending it out on Monday. It makes me happy to do something to help so maybe others won't have to go through this.

What a fabulous gesture!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 10th, 2010, 11:50 am

Patch O' Pits wrote:YOU are awesome!

Haha. Thanks T.

I was just talking with Dee the other night about the project, and even though it is a WONDERFUL thing we're doing and I'm so overwhelmingly proud... that doesn't mean it is always easy. I personally don't have a cancer dog (Jasmine donated a benign tumor to the project before it started a while back), but as a dog lover and owner, I feel a real connection to the dogs who are affected by cancer and the dogs that are donating. I feel deeply for their families. This is a really important thing we're doing, but it hits me hard sometimes.

I think ones of the biggest points I like to make and focus on when I'm having a tough time is that myself and others in the lab are absolutely passionate about dogs... they are our families, our guardian angels, our jokesters, our guides, and generally a part of who WE are! We are not just scientists working in a lab with DNA. You know?

So get the word out there if you know anyone who might want to be a part of this.
There is also contact info on the website. The email/phone numbers there go right to our Senior Research Veterinarian. She's an incredible woman.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 10th, 2010, 3:09 pm

iluvk9 wrote:This is phenomenal, and I wish you ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD for helping our dogs.

CinderDee wrote:Kato is donating blood. We have the tubes here and will be sending it out on Monday. It makes me happy to do something to help so maybe others won't have to go through this.

What a fabulous gesture!

Thanks Joyce! I'm happy that we're able to help in some small way. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » January 10th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Fantastic project and thank you for posting about it! I will definitely spread the word.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2010, 10:01 am

May I cross post this?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Pit♥bull » January 12th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Trouble will be participating, Dr. F is already making arrangements :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » January 12th, 2010, 1:05 pm

:)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby madremissy » January 12th, 2010, 7:20 pm

What a wonderful thing. :)
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » January 13th, 2010, 10:01 pm

mnp13 wrote:May I cross post this?

Sure, and thank you.

The best way for people to learn more is through the site and contacting us via the email address on the site. Of course those I know on the forums can absolutely contact me with questions. :wink:

www.vai.org/helpingdogs
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Return to Canine Cancer