Pet Food That Wont Make My Dogs Stink

Postby javjersey » January 11th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Hey all, I have been feeding my dogs Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul, I got the idea from ( http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ ) within 5 star premium dog food for the past few months and it is great other than that it makes their farts STINK, I mean wreak, like clear the room and kick them out because its so bad. I also think that it gives them gas because those farts happen a lot during the day, if we are all sitting together watching TV it takes about 4,5 of them before I decide to kick them out. Thinking I could tolerate it.
Anyway PitBullTalk does any one have any suggestions of premium dry dog food that I could switch them too that will reduce or eliminate this problem? Thank you for your time....
PS As Im writing this we have our dogs on us and Billy the pug came and got comfortable in between us=) now hes sleeping and my wife smiles but makes sure to tell me "if he farts, your getting nailed" lol. How fitting =)
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

"Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend." ~Corey Ford
javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby Ino » January 11th, 2010, 8:06 pm

I do not have a specific recommendation of food for you, but wanted to know how long have they been on it, and did you taper down their old food and slowly add the new food? Sometimes that can cause stomach upset if you switch too fast. Also, not every food is good for every dog. At one point, Ino was slowly switched over to Wellness brand food, which a lot of people have said worked wonders for their dogs; however, Ino did not tolerate it well. It was too rich for his body to digest it properly and he ended up with runny and eventually bloody stools (I think the blood was do to the runny stools). The vet told us to change foods and he has now been on Nutro large breed lamb and rice as his main food with taste of the wild food as treats so he does not get as many biscuits for training and he has tolerated both of those foods well. He also gets cooked meats, rice, greens, sweet potatos, cottage cheese, or yoghurt added into his evening kibble pretty often(rotated out- not all at once). Hopefully you get some good suggestions here and find a food that works well for your dogs.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby plebayo » January 11th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Your dogs really might just be gassy.

I have my dogs on Chicken Soup right now and haven't noticed any gas... before that I fed them Canidae. I switched due to cost but am considering going back on the Canidae because Seth's skin is really picky and he's shedding a lot right now due to the food switch. I have had good luck feeding Canidae in the past - good firm poop, less poop etc.

You may just have to try different foods and see if they seem less gassy because they really might just be sensitive.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Have you ever tried a grain-free kibble? Some dogs get REALLY gassy from all the fillers and by-products.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » January 11th, 2010, 11:00 pm

amazincc wrote:Have you ever tried a grain-free kibble? Some dogs get REALLY gassy from all the fillers and by-products.

Christine, now that you've mentioned it, Dar's Gas problem has all but gone away since he started on the Potato/Duck formula you recommended!! :wink:

Sure, maybe a little issue if he has a big ole Bully Stick, but over all, it's SO MUCH better!!!

No Grain, Less Toots!! :oops: :D
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby pitsnok » January 11th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Ours both had absolutely disgusting gas when we were feeding them solid gold. We switched to grain-free wellness core because of harlows grain allergies. Since we switched to the wellness degan never has stinky gas, and although Harlow does still have the toots once and a while they really won't clear a room like they used to. Also, we have been giving them a spoonful of plain, unsweetened yogurt with their evening meal and that also seems to really help.

Good luck!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » January 12th, 2010, 12:59 am

amazincc wrote:Have you ever tried a grain-free kibble? Some dogs get REALLY gassy from all the fillers and by-products.

chicken soup does not have any by products :wink: i feed that to my foster pups, but it does have grains!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jcoffey917 » January 12th, 2010, 10:01 am

Cooper used to have horrendous gas too. My Brother-in-law always said that his farts made his eyes burn they were so bad. He was on Nutro and then Solid Gold, now I have him on a grain free Taste of the Wild food and it has helped A LOT. He hasn't had to get kicked out of a room in a while.
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2010, 11:00 am

kera09 wrote:

chicken soup does not have any by products :wink: i feed that to my foster pups, but it does have grains!

It doesn't have by-products, but by weight the main ingredient is grain - even though "meat" is listed as the first two they aren't because it's by weight, the meals as the second two don't out weight the next five ingredients, which are all grains.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » January 12th, 2010, 11:29 am

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

That is an excellent website with tons of reading material. If looking for a grain free food, there is a good list of them for you to find one close by.
For what it's worth though, mine are on a grain free food, plus VERY RARELY have anything other than their dog food, yet still have moments when they have horrible gas. :|
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » January 12th, 2010, 7:09 pm

It may not be just the food -- what kinds of treats and other foods are you feeding? Do they get human food like chips, pretzels, etc?

Plus, pugs are notoriously gassy. :lol3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » January 12th, 2010, 9:35 pm

kera09 wrote:

I was speaking in general, not just about Chicken Soup kibble. :wink:

I have fed my dogs some horrible stuff over the years (before I knew better :oops: ), and grain-free is hands-down the way to go, IMO.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » January 12th, 2010, 10:35 pm

We feed raw and the dogs are currently getting venison - Ruby's gas is indescribably foul... but her burps will literally make you heave.

Trust me, it's not just grain....
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies