Video with great body language

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 11th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Sarah Kalnajs posted this on her Facebook page and I stole it there and I'm bringing it here! It's a video of a 15 month old GSD police dog, who is brand new to his handler. A reporter wants to get some video and asks to be up close and personal. Well, he got a little TOO up close and personal and got nailed in the face. But Pedro (the dog) shows some AMAZING body language before nailing the guy. What a fantastic communicator.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/unta ... orter.html

Things I spotted (other than idiot reporter PAT PAT PATTING Pedro on his head):
tongue flicks
whale eye
ears back
commissure way far back (long lips)
nose tilted up submissively
look aways
cringing away

This dog didn't want to bite, he was just left with no choice.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Well, yeah... the body language is great, but the handler is a moron... no??? :shock: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » January 11th, 2010, 10:06 pm

:shock: YIKES.

Kinda sorta reminds ME of MY stupid move; when I FIRST met Riggs while he was in his Crate, up on Michelle's Tailgate!!
:rolleyes2: Oh brother...........THAT was a stupid, careless mistake. Good thing his crate was latched!!
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Hundilein » January 11th, 2010, 10:16 pm

Um yeah. Dog gave all sorts of signs that he was uncomfortable with the situation, and news guy has no clue about dog body language.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Hundilein wrote:Um yeah. Dog gave all sorts of signs that he was uncomfortable with the situation, and news guy has no clue about dog body language.

Shouldn't the HANDLER be responsible though? Most people don't know dog body language... I'm glad this wasn't a small child wanting to "pet the puppy". :rolleyes2:

This dog is the equivalent of a weapon, and the handler should treat him as such. He wouldn't hand over his loaded gun so someone can play with it, would he? :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hundilein » January 11th, 2010, 10:35 pm

amazincc wrote:
Hundilein wrote:Um yeah. Dog gave all sorts of signs that he was uncomfortable with the situation, and news guy has no clue about dog body language.

Shouldn't the HANDLER be responsible though?

Yes, I agree, the handler should have known better too.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby plebayo » January 13th, 2010, 4:27 pm

The handler is stupid because he can't read his dog. the news reporter is stupid because he can't read the dog and was overly friendly with an animal he doesn't know.

IMO the dog should have been pulled from police work. I know a lot of Officers who go to DARE programs and brings their dogs, what if it was a child? I realize these dogs have a job to do but if the dog is that insecure and bites without thinking, I'm not sure how it can be a good police unit. By thinking I mean like bolting away from the guy's grasp, rather than bolting into it. I don't think fear biting is in the Police K9's handbook. I realize there is a certain amount of fear that goes along with protection work, but I am pretty sure a dog shouldn't be that uncomfortable.

In any case I think the Officer should have read right away that the dog wasn't comfortable with the situation.
Suzanne
Seth, CGC & LiLo
♥♥Sofie - Always in my heart. ♥♥
plebayo
Mrs. Dr. Kildare

Postby maberi » January 13th, 2010, 4:38 pm

amazincc wrote:Shouldn't the HANDLER be responsible though? Most people don't know dog body language... I'm glad this wasn't a small child wanting to "pet the puppy". :rolleyes2:

Exactly
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby maberi » January 13th, 2010, 4:39 pm

ArtGypsy wrote::shock: YIKES.

Kinda sorta reminds ME of MY stupid move; when I FIRST met Riggs while he was in his Crate, up on Michelle's Tailgate!!
:rolleyes2: Oh brother...........THAT was a stupid, careless mistake. Good thing his crate was latched!!

Riggs has one of the better roars I've heard
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby ArtGypsy » January 13th, 2010, 10:24 pm

maberi wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote::shock: YIKES.

SCARED me to Death......... :shock: :sad2:
And then I was Horribly Embarrassed for such a Faux Pas' :oops: :oops: :rolleyes2:
**especially being the NEW GIRL and all..... :dance:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » January 13th, 2010, 10:56 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:
maberi wrote:

SCARED me to Death......... :shock: :sad2:
And then I was Horribly Embarrassed for such a Faux Pas' :oops: :oops: :rolleyes2:
**especially being the NEW GIRL and all..... :dance:

One of my long-term goals is to hug Riggs. :| :wink:
I will be shrouded in Cuz balls and smell like liver treats... just in case... :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TinaMartin » January 14th, 2010, 9:56 am

amazincc wrote:
One of my long-term goals is to hug Riggs. :| :wink:
I will be shrouded in Cuz balls and smell like liver treats... just in case... :D

Can I watch!?
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Malli » January 14th, 2010, 2:05 pm

It would take a VERY special dog not to react poorly to that.

I don't think I would try that with any of the police dogs I've met from our local PD and most of them are awesome, friendly dogs.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby chako » January 15th, 2010, 12:28 am

Malli wrote:It would take a VERY special dog not to react poorly to that.

I don't think I would try that with any of the police dogs I've met from our local PD and most of them are awesome, friendly dogs.

While -- yes -- the dog was giving signs...the signs it gave indicate, to me, it's not the ideal dog for police dog. It does not take a special dog NOT to react poorly to that. All the dogs I've had... anyone could do that, too. My friend's schutzhund GSD... you can do that to. If a dog is used to be touched, petted, hugged, etc. that should not be an issue. Here, the dog was NOT doing what it was trained to do (god, I hope they aren't training it to do THAT). No command was given. The officer was conversing calmly with the guy. The dog bit because it was insecure. Good police dogs are NOT insecure.

The reporter isn't stupid. He asked the officer. The officer said yes. The reporter wasn't paying attention to the dog obviously--which was a stupid thing to do in that situation...obviously--but doing a stupid thing does not a stupid person make :)

The responsibility rests with the police officer handler entirely.
chako
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » January 15th, 2010, 12:55 am

chako wrote:
Malli wrote:It would take a VERY special dog not to react poorly to that.

While -- yes -- the dog was giving signs...the signs it gave indicate, to me, it's not the ideal dog for police dog. It does not take a special dog NOT to react poorly to that. All the dogs I've had... anyone could do that, too. My friend's schutzhund GSD... you can do that to. If a dog is used to be touched, petted, hugged, etc. that should not be an issue. Here, the dog was NOT doing what it was trained to do (god, I hope they aren't training it to do THAT). No command was given. The officer was conversing calmly with the guy. The dog bit because it was insecure. Good police dogs are NOT insecure.

The reporter isn't stupid. He asked the officer. The officer said yes. The reporter wasn't paying attention to the dog obviously--which was a stupid thing to do in that situation...obviously--but doing a stupid thing does not a stupid person make :)

The responsibility rests with the police officer handler entirely.

I never said that the responsibility rests anywhere else :|

But, it WOULD take a special dog not to react poorly - my dog wouldn't react badly to that either, But I've met many that would :|

Do you think its fair to make the comparison between a dog who does protection work for fun and a dog that does it for a living? You'd think there would be other differences between your friend's Sch. dog and police K9's that would make the K9's better at policework, as well?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby chako » January 15th, 2010, 11:08 am

Many of the cops around here draw from the Schutzhund dogs for police work -- regardless of which avenue a dog goes, it needs to have strong nerves and loads of confidence. The dog in the video has neither. Just b/c it's a GSD does not mean it makes a good police dog (which apparently is what the people thought who screened and selected that dog for the program).
chako
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior