Help with triggers and over excitement/aggression

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby dlynne1123 » January 10th, 2010, 2:47 pm

MegN wrote:examples of this behavior:

I'm in bed with Woody(my dog) :D My husband is moving around getting dog beds in the room and this movement and my husbands presence puts Woody on edge.

I am in bed with Woody (sounds funny) and my other male dog Wilson comes in the room to get on the bed and Woody will be on edge and won't let Wilson on the bed. Are female pit has no problem with getting on the bed though, nor does Woody give her a problem.

If I am on the computer (which is at the island in our kitchen) and Eric is moving around the kitchen making something/cleaning something, this MAY put Woody at an excited/aggressive state. This doesn't always happen. It DOES NOT happen when I am NOT there.

The most frequent occurrence is in the kitchen, when I am on the computer or sitting at the island and Eric is moving around. Also, if I want to show something on the computer and Eric comes to look over my shoulder, Woody does not like this. What I do now when I want to show something to Eric is move to the other side of the island and then Eric can look at the computer.

Like I said in the first post, this is not a highly aggressive behavior toward Eric, but it is toward Eric and only in my presence. There has never been barking or growling toward him, just crack eyes, tense body and nipping at his hands and legs.

Sounds like Resource Guarding, in general, you are the resource. Get started on some NILF, great links here on PBT, and find a trainer near you to work on getting it under control before it turns into a 5.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » January 10th, 2010, 2:51 pm

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/mindgames.html

This is another NILF with a little twist, I think I found it here! My clients love it for almost any issue, to start. Its great, and it does directly relate to priveleges in the lifestyle. Get off the couch relates to you stepping over or around a dog in the house. And it sounds like you need to get your husband doing these exercises with you! Good luck, easy fix :dance: Just don't hesitate to ask for help!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby airwalk » January 10th, 2010, 2:54 pm

The only thing I would add here is make sure you and Eric always react in a very calm controlled manner. Make sure he knows that you and Eric are in control. Dogs use what works..if it's worked in the past they will continue to try to use it..if you and Eric become aggitated or irritated, he'll pick that up and use it as well.

The dogs don't think about it, they just know it works and use it. So if he gets a time out, it's all calm, cool and collected..he does it because you have decided that's what he will do, not punishment, just fact.
airwalk
I live here

Postby TheRedQueen » January 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm

amazincc wrote:
MegN wrote:Eric will say firmly "NO" and then just a touch/pet on his head in a calm manner

So, basically, Eric is rewarding the behavior by petting Woody... at least in Woodys mind.
I definitely agree w/NILIF, and you should both start practicing that ASAP. Sir Woody needs to start earning everything... from food to play to going for a walk to having furniture/bed privileges. :wink:

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but this might not be viewed as a reward for Woody. Many dogs don't enjoy being patted on the head, esp. over the head...and can be viewed as a punisher instead by the dog. :| Just depends...dogs all enjoy different types/styles of petting. Woody could be uncomfortable with the head petting...and it could be leading to more tension between the two of them. This is why I prefer good food treats that the dog chooses. ;)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 17th, 2010, 9:35 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but this might not be viewed as a reward for Woody. Many dogs don't enjoy being patted on the head, esp. over the head...and can be viewed as a punisher instead by the dog. :| Just depends...dogs all enjoy different types/styles of petting. Woody could be uncomfortable with the head petting...and it could be leading to more tension between the two of them. This is why I prefer good food treats that the dog chooses. ;)

Oooohhhh, you are right... I hadn't thought of that. :shock:
Sepp doesn't like the head pat either and will try to avoid it at all costs.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior