So how do you know..

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby jnreem » January 8th, 2010, 12:47 pm

when your dog is going into heat, our rescued pup is around 11 months old and we think she might be going into heat soon but aren't sure. She is marking her territory more than normal, her nipples are swelling, and Buddy is humping her non stop (he is fixed) but he normally doesn't hump her. I know obviously we will know when it does start but just looking for signs for it coming. She is getting fixed within the month, but just curious. Thanks!
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » January 8th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Normally their Va-jay jay swells and it's pretty hard to miss. (though not all dogs get as large as some)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby jnreem » January 8th, 2010, 6:08 pm

ok thankss
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » January 8th, 2010, 11:24 pm

They do urinate quite a bit more as well
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 8th, 2010, 11:40 pm

You said va-jay jay. That's awesome. :giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Xarpolis » January 9th, 2010, 11:26 pm

When you start talking about va-jay jay, I put on my "special" shirt.

http://yfrog.com/4ewtyj
My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby jnreem » January 10th, 2010, 10:47 am

oh my gosh, that is so gross lol
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 10th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Funny... in a creepy kinda way... :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby dlynne1123 » January 10th, 2010, 5:45 pm

Well, she shouldn't be fixed if she comes into heat now. Its best to wait about middle of cycle, 2-3 monthes after the heat is best so swelling and bleeding is minimal.

If shes swelling and acting more bitchy, she probably is coming into heat. her vulva will swell. Until the bleeding starts some people can't tell a change. Thats because the real ovulation period is once the bleeding stops. So, keep her away from unaltered males until about 15 days after the bleedign stops. To be safe, I'd say even longer.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jnreem » January 10th, 2010, 8:33 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:Well, she shouldn't be fixed if she comes into heat now. Its best to wait about middle of cycle, 2-3 monthes after the heat is best so swelling and bleeding is minimal.

If shes swelling and acting more bitchy, she probably is coming into heat. her vulva will swell. Until the bleeding starts some people can't tell a change. Thats because the real ovulation period is once the bleeding stops. So, keep her away from unaltered males until about 15 days after the bleedign stops. To be safe, I'd say even longer.

No bleeding so far, and not any swelling, actually not much bitchiness either, I have noticed her laying around alot more. Sounds good, the only male she is around is fixed so were good. :)

Well hopefully I can get her an appointment before she goes into heat but were trying to go the less expensive route since our normal vet seems to be very unreasonable, I called the SPCA and they have a pit fix is what they call it and will spay female and male pits for $85 for female $60 i believe for a male. But they haven't called or emailed me back.. any suggestions on where to go? Our vet charged us $350 for Buddy and said she would be around $400 which I find ridiculous.
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 10th, 2010, 9:06 pm

jnreem wrote: Our vet charged us $350 for Buddy and said she would be around $400 which I find ridiculous.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow... why so expensive???

Have you checked here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8231
There are quite a few different places listed.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » January 10th, 2010, 9:14 pm

That's actually a fairly common price around here. (Expect to pay even more if the dog is still in heat because it is more work for the vet due to the enlarged blood vessels and other factors, and more dangerous for the dog due to the potential for bleeding.)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » January 10th, 2010, 9:31 pm

:shock: Holey Hell at those prices!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 10th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Seriously! Inara's spay was $110!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby pitsnok » January 10th, 2010, 10:02 pm

We were able to get Harlow spayed for $35 because we could prove we made less than a certain amount (I think it was less then $25,000 yearly) at a "low income" clinic. I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you can prove "low income" status you might be able to find a place in your area doing the same, (I am a student so it was really easy). I think our vet was charging $285 or something like that, and I tend to think ours is expensive so $400 seems really crazy! I was a little apprehensive thinking that she might not get the proper care seeing as it was just a spay and neuter clinic, but I did some research and found a lot of good things and they really took good care of her.
(She does have a tattoo now though, which I thought was kind of strange).
Good luck though! I hope you can get it taken care of before she is in heat!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby jnreem » January 11th, 2010, 11:11 am

I know, it's a bit ridiculous, I just looked through those places and I don't qualify for the free one and neither do my parents but I can still do the low cost s/n. I will wait if she happens to go into heat but as of right now she isn't. Thanks for the help, if anyone in Maryland knows any other places besides the ones listed, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby amazincc » January 11th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Put an ad on your local CL... lots of times people are very helpful, and are able to recommend cheaper s/n clinics/vets.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby jnreem » January 13th, 2010, 1:21 pm

thanks!! I will
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health