Schultz is at peace

Postby Jodi » January 6th, 2010, 4:20 pm

I can't believe I am actually writing in this section :(

My little Schultz passed away on New Year's eve. It has been so difficult for my husband and I-and I'm sure it will always be in some sense.

Schultz was my first pet ever-I adopted him from Lollypop Farm when he was 9, and he lived to be 14. Although a high maintenance, grumpy old fart-I loved him to death, and he loved me right back. He gave us a fair amount of scares- from eating an entire Easter basket full of chocolate to packing peanuts to gum, Mr. Schultz sure knew how to get what he wanted regardless of the consequence. He even managed to tip over our garbage can time and time again even though it stood a good foot (or more) taller than him...I'm pretty sure he had a cast iron stomach :)

Anyway, over the years his health declined, but he was happy as ever and never "complained". Even when he was diagnosed with cancer, he took all the testing/poking/prodding like a champ, and every vet commented on what a rock start patient he was :) Whenever he came back to me, his tail would be wagging full force and he couldn't wait to hop into my arms.

When he passed it was quite the surprise, and I still don't even understand what happened. All day on 12/31 he was acting like his usual self-he was pretty much fine (with the exception of a few puking incidents the day before, but he still ate and pooped/peed just fine). When I got home from a New Year's eve party, I went to let out the dogs and Schultz wouldn't move from his crate. I noticed his breathing was raspy. He tried to lift his head, but it fell back down.

I immediatley knew something was wrong, so I grabbed him and we rushed to the ER. He barely made it on the way there. When we walked in his tongue was hanging out and it was turning blue (this image will be burned in my mind forever). They took him quickly and put us in a room. Basically they told us he wasn't going to make it and they could try some radiographs etc. or we could euth to prevent further suffering. We chose to euth-it was obvious nothing was going to help him. He wasn't breathing and his gums were blue. The vet said he had a significant heart murmur (which he never had before-I don't get it) So they brought him in and we held him, kissed him and pet him and told him we loved him...then he seemed to relax...and was gone...

I have never lost a pet before, and I am so saddened my heart literally aches. Will it ever feel "normal without him around? Things are OK so far at home. Our other dogs don't seem to have noticed and are acting pretty normal. Schultz kept to himself so I am not too surprised.

Anyway, thank you for providing an outlet to share my feelings and stories about Schultzie. He was a good friend and loving companion. I know he is living it up in weiner dog heaven with plenty of food and warm beds for snuggling. I just miss him so, and will love him forever.

Here is a link to a photo album on my Facebook page with pics of Schultz for anyone who is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 03d310cee1

Thanks for listening! :(
Jodi
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » January 6th, 2010, 4:23 pm

R.I.P. SWEET Schutz............. :(

I'm so SO sorry for your loss...........

Sending you healing thoughts.................
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Pit♥bull » January 6th, 2010, 4:27 pm

R.I.P Schultz :(
rainbow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 6th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Oh, Jodi, I'm so sorry for your loss. Shultz was a cute little guy and will live with you always in the awesome memories he's given you.

RIP sweet Schultz. Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Hundilein » January 6th, 2010, 4:36 pm

:hug3: I'm so sorry. RIP Schultz.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » January 6th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Good-bye Schultz. :cry:

I am sorry for your loss and the pain. When you first joined and posted his photos, I always thought he was such a cute guy.

As for the pain, I can only tell you how it affects me when I lose one, and maybe it would be the similar for you. :( It starts like a tornado ripped your heart out. It slowly progresses to a very bad storm. Then, it is just a dull ache that lessens, but never goes away.

I think it was WONDERFUL of you to adopt an older dog. :hug3: Seniors are my favorite. Schultz had 5 terrific years with you and he knew what love was.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyChick » January 6th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I'm so sorry to read this thread. Losing a beloved pet is always so difficult.

I'd like to address what you said about the image that is burned into your brain. I know exactly what you mean. I still have flashes of Vincenzo as he was dying and they are such troubling images. Every time it happens to me, I immediately make myself picture Vinny when he was healthy and happy. As time goes on, I get less and less of those bad images and more and more images of the good kind. This will happen for you too. Schultzie's passing is still raw and new for you, but with time things will get better.

As to things feeling normal again, that too will change with time as your "normal" adjusts and redefines itself to life without the little guy.

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Mr. Schultz.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » January 6th, 2010, 4:59 pm

:( I'm so very sorry for your loss, RIP Schultz
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2010, 5:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear this. :sad2: :hug3:

RIP Schultz
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » January 6th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Jodi, I'm so sorry. The pain will get easier after a time. I wasn't sure if I'd ever breathe again after having to put my cat, Toonces down - he was my first pet that was all mine. But I made it through with a lot of tears, and you will too. Just take the time you need to grieve. :hug3:

RIP Schultz... :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby LMM » January 6th, 2010, 8:13 pm

RIP Schultz. I'm so very sorry for your loss :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jodi » January 6th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Thank you so much.

Honestly, it really helps to be "around" people who have been through this, and who understand what it really means to love a pet.

Thanks for all your heartfelt comments-they really mean a lot to me :)
Jodi
Just Whelped

Postby madremissy » January 6th, 2010, 9:54 pm

I am very sorry for your loss. RIP Schultz. :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby kera09 » January 7th, 2010, 12:34 am

im so sorry for your loss :( Rip Schultz
i myself have not had dogs before these guys, so i have no idea if the hurt ever goes away :hug3:
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 7th, 2010, 1:03 am

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :cry:

RIP Schulz...
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pawscrossed » January 7th, 2010, 1:24 am

I am so sorry....words always give comfort but I have learned to make friends with time. We love them as if they are our children and some of us lose a part of ourselves when they leave. I too have the images of mine in my arms as she passed...I can almost smell her sometimes. I have random melt downs still and have a hope chest of all her things.

Again I am so sorry...its the greatest pain and I wish I knew a remedy for everyone who has ever felt it. I added you on FB feel free to message me if you ever need to vent.

Safe trip Schultz :hug3:
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mohandas Gandhi
pawscrossed
Just Whelped

Postby Suzi » January 7th, 2010, 10:04 am

:hug3:
RIP Schultz.....Run free and painless at the bridge.
Suzi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby TinaMartin » January 7th, 2010, 10:37 am

RIP Schultz. :cry: Its always hard to lose them. While the pain never truly goes away the hurt gets a little duller with time. Remember the good things. You gave him a home and showed him love.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby maberi » January 7th, 2010, 10:52 am

Jodi I am soooo sorry to hear about Schultz's passing. I know how difficult the past few days have been for you and Jeremy, and also know that nothing anyone says or does will make things easier for you.

You and Jeremy are one of the nicest, most caring down to earth couples I have had the pleasure of meeting. Try to take some comfort in the fact that Schultz lead a very special life that most dogs never have the chance to see.

--Matt
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » January 7th, 2010, 11:30 am

:hug3:

I lost my first dog a few years ago...and I still feel her pain so sharply, it hurts sometimes. I'm now at the point where I have her pictures hanging on the wall again, so I can cherish the good times...it still hurts, but it's an ache now, and I can share the stories of how wonderful she was. The memories won't fade, but they will hurt less...:hug3: Do remember to focus on the good times, the wonderful things he used to do...time will heal
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Next

Return to Our Departed Friends