Puppy asserting dominance?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby LeeLooLucy » January 6th, 2010, 2:17 am

I have a 3 month old pit bull, Lucy, and a 6 year old chiweenie, Peanut. Lucy will go up to Peanut, "standing tall", with her tail straight in the air, rub up against her and then just stop in front of her. Other times she will do this and even put her back leg over Peanut as she does and just stand there. Her body language just screams "dominance" to me. It bothers me that a PUPPY is behaving this way. Is this a sign of future dog aggression? I'm a pit bull novice so I wouldn't know. But Lucy, also, will sometimes pee beside Peanut after doing this. Usually when she needs to go to the bathroom she will run to the back door and whine. But, when she pees right beside Peanut it looks as if she's marking her territory or...asserting her dominance?? I would really appreciate others takes on this, and any advice if you have any. :?
LeeLooLucy
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » January 6th, 2010, 2:42 am

Yes, that could be the beginning of aggressive behavior, or it could just be dominant behavior - and the two are not necessarily interchangeable.

What does Peanut do when she does that stuff?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » January 6th, 2010, 9:43 am

It's confident behavior, rude behavior, "dominant" behavior...but not necessarily aggressive behavior, like Michelle said. ;)

I'd be also concerned about getting into a good puppy class, and then some good obedience classes so Lucy doesn't try push EVERYONE around as she gets older and bigger. :) That is very confident behavior for a pup...and that type of pup needs strong leadership (not forceful, just strong) from the humans in her life too.

Whether or not she becomes DA, she'll need to be under control! :) I rescued/rehomed a VERY strong-willed pup last year...Gibbs was a lab/pit mix that was given up by his family for biting the teenager in the face...he was only 11 weeks old and already strong and confident (and RUDE!). He came here, and learned clicker training, earned everything he got (treats, food, toys, petting) and learned that there are rules in the world. He turned into a very nice dog, and went to a lovely home. But early and proper training definitely had a hand in that outcome!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Oooohhhh... NILIF, NILIF, NILIF!!! :wink:

I have (had) one of those confident, rude little $hits and visions of DA definitely danced in my head for a few months when he was small. He was a holy terror when he interacted w/my other two dogs... and I finally decided to let them take matters into their own paws. Problem solved. :D
However... mine are bigger than a chiweenie, so it all happened on pretty equal footing, so to speak. lol

I definitely agree w/puppy classes and obedience training.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LeeLooLucy » January 6th, 2010, 6:51 pm

amazincc wrote:Oooohhhh... NILIF, NILIF, NILIF!!! :wink:

I just read up on "NILIF" it seems like a good way to show the dog that the owner is the boss, but does it work to help combat dominance over other animals?
LeeLooLucy
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » January 6th, 2010, 6:59 pm

LeeLooLucy wrote:I just read up on "NILIF" it seems like a good way to show the dog that the owner is the boss, but does it work to help combat dominance over other animals?

It's a good first step towards obedience and manners. And good obedience will help you to control your dog in all types of situations, even if she's dominant.
This is what the gurus here tell me, and I believe them. :wink:

I can't really answer the dominance question, since I thought I had a DA puppy myself. Turns out he just needed a good smack from his "peers" and a lesson in doggy manners. :oops: :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LeeLooLucy » January 6th, 2010, 9:51 pm

amazincc wrote:It's a good first step towards obedience and manners. And good obedience will help you to control your dog in all types of situations, even if she's dominant.
This is what the gurus here tell me, and I believe them. :wink:

I can't really answer the dominance question, since I thought I had a DA puppy myself. Turns out he just needed a good smack from his "peers" and a lesson in doggy manners. :oops: :|

Oh ok. Well, THANK YOU :) I'm gonna give NILIF a try!
LeeLooLucy
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior