Harlow doesn't seem like herself?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » December 31st, 2009, 8:39 pm

So lately Harlow has been seeming a little down in the dumps. If we are up doing something she just sits nearby and seems to shiver a lot. Most of the time I'm sure she is just cold because if we cover her up the shivering stops...but sometimes it takes a while for her to stop. They got new Galileo bones for Christmas and have been chewing like crazy so I suppose she could just be worn out, but still I am slightly concerned. I know this sounds stupid, but her eyes seem ...different? Like they are sad...just not like herself. Last night she was kind of weird about eating. Like she wasn't really interested but then she ended up eating like normal after a few seconds.
She still gets excited and plays and stuff, and ate fine this morning so I'm not too alarmed. But do you guys think we should see a vet, or have any ideas about what could be wrong with her? (or I you think I am just crazy let me know!) I tend to be kind of overanalytical when it comes to my dogs but I haven't been totally wrong yet...
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » December 31st, 2009, 9:05 pm

how old is harlow? Ava went through a period when she refused to cuddle us and kinda just did her own thing, she grew out of it! hmmmm i guess keep an eye on her
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » December 31st, 2009, 9:13 pm

She is 1 year and about 3 months...ish. She LOVES to cuddle. That is literally all she would do if she could.

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » December 31st, 2009, 9:43 pm

I'd watch for any obvious signs of pain. Trouble's eyes change when she isn't well or is in pain.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » December 31st, 2009, 9:45 pm

Has anything changed in your household?

I would keep an eye on her for the next few days, but a vet visit couldn't hurt if the behavior continues... just to rule out anything physical at least. Sometimes loss of interest in daily activities and loss of appetite can be a sign that something is wrong.
As for the shivering... keep that poor baby bundled up outside! lol :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitsnok » December 31st, 2009, 9:58 pm

Oh she is always bundled up when she outsde. But she shivers inside too. Granted we keep our thermostat at 67 or 68 and it has been snowy lately, but I figure she shouldn't get too cold inside. I sometimes wonder if she's really sensitive to cold because she spent the first part of her life as a stray in the winter. ( there I go again, personifying!)

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 31st, 2009, 10:05 pm

Shivering/shaking can also be a sign of pain and/or anxiety.

Mine are *delicate* :rolleyes2: , but even they are comfortable in 67/68 degrees. I would at least call the vet, and see if they want you to bring her in.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » December 31st, 2009, 11:29 pm

Usually, as long as the dog is eating/drinking/pooping okay and is not vomiting, the dog should be fine. However, the "not acting like herself", sad eyes, and the shaking is concerning. Definitely warrants a call to the vet.

How much of the Galileo bone has she eaten? Are you *sure* she hasn't eaten anything unusual? And is she pooping okay -- not straining, no diarrhea or blood and/or mucous?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » December 31st, 2009, 11:34 pm

I'd be wondering about anything medical, too. :| I guess it depends on your budget, but if its a squishy budget, it wouldn't hurt to check...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitsnok » January 3rd, 2010, 10:49 pm

It is really strange... she is still eating, she just isn't as enthusiastic about eating as she has always been. And she played like a maniac this weekend at my dad's house.
I am going to keep watching her closely for a few more days and if she still seems weird I will call the vet to see what he thinks.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » January 3rd, 2010, 11:31 pm

Update: (it wouldn't let me edit my previous post).
Her pooping is fine, and the galileo bones aren't too torn up just yet.

This whole weekend she was weird about eating. She ate all her meals in full, but we had to put the food on the floor for her to eat it. :? Usually at my dad's house she is weird about it because we are in a strange place, but goes back to normal when we get home. Tonight though, she wouldn't eat at first, and then she ate a little bit, then got distracted and ran off, then I put some pieces on the floor and she came back and ended up eating her whole bowl of food, but wouldn't eat it out of the bowl until it was down to one layer of food. I googled it and saw everything from cancer to stubbornness, to depression and about a thousand other things... so now we will definitely be calling the vet tomorrow...and I'm just hoping for the best.

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » January 3rd, 2010, 11:54 pm

Does she eat out of the same bowl all the time? Did maybe something "foreign" fall into it and scare her?

We had a bug in the water bucket a few weeks ago, and it turned into a major crisis. lol
Daisy drank around it.
Faust barked at it, but wouldn't drink.
Sepp tried to sniff it, but instead inhaled the water. He then tried to eat it but it kept floating way from him. As a last resort he pawed at it in a frenzy and I ended up w/two gallons of water on the floor. :rolleyes2:

There's no telling what might spook some dogs.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hundilein » January 4th, 2010, 12:00 am

I'm not second guessing your decision to go to the vet, but try not to freak out until you know more. Like Christine suggested, it could be something totally random that spooked her about the dish. Renee doesn't like to drink out of the water dish at Erin's house for some reason. She gets weird about drinking out of the kitchen water dish, but has no problem with a nearly identical dish in the basement. :crazy2:
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby pitsnok » January 4th, 2010, 1:10 am

She has always had the same bowl... and there hasn't been anything foreign in it. (Christine your bug story reminds me of Degan playing in his bowl... I think he goes after his reflection :rolleyes2: ).
I'm just hoping that feeding her on the floor at my dad's house didn't make her decide that's the only way she'll eat from now on, haha!
I also forgot to mention that her breath is back to being absolutely horrendous! We fed them yogurt for a week and it seemed to help but we ran out and haven't been back to the grocery store yet...so I don't know.

I feel like I tend to overreact, but at the same time I would hate myself if I acted like nothing was up and there ended up being something seriously wrong.

( ...maybe my dogs inherited their anxiety from me! )

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2010, 1:20 am

Really... if it worries you that much, a vet visit can definitely put your mind at ease, if nothing is wrong... and IF there's something going on you'll have caught it early on... know what I mean?

Let us know... and I'm sending good thoughts that the vet finds nothing. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 4th, 2010, 1:23 am

amazincc wrote:Does she eat out of the same bowl all the time? Did maybe something "foreign" fall into it and scare her?

We had a bug in the water bucket a few weeks ago, and it turned into a major crisis. lol
Daisy drank around it.
Faust barked at it, but wouldn't drink.
Sepp tried to sniff it, but instead inhaled the water. He then tried to eat it but it kept floating way from him. As a last resort he pawed at it in a frenzy and I ended up w/two gallons of water on the floor. :rolleyes2:

There's no telling what might spook some dogs.

that little anecdote just gave me a giggle.
:D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » January 4th, 2010, 9:13 am

I would definitely take a quick trip to the vet but then I've had enough emergencies and disease arise over the years to make me a proactive worrywart.

I hope everything is okay with Horlow!!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby pitsnok » January 4th, 2010, 6:12 pm

(I just realized I spelled her name with an o in the title... that's what I get for typing on my phone!)

Anyway, we just got back from the vet. We noticed that she had some thinning of her hair, and skin was really dry on top of everything else...

So the vet did a blood test...

drumroll...

She has hypothyroidism.
The vet said it is really unusual because usually dogs her age don't have it, and it's usually seen in Goldens and Labs.

Even though it is a lifelong, non-curable illness, I am honestly kind of relieved to know it's something that is totally manageable. I get so paranoid about cancer, and tumors and other things that would be WAY worse than this.
We are starting her on .4mg of thyrosin (i think that is how it's spelled) twice daily for now, and go back in six weeks to see how it is helping. We also are going in for a teeth cleaning sometime in the next few weeks to help with her terrible breath... not looking forward to that because it's really expensive, but necessary.

Thanks again for all the help!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » January 4th, 2010, 6:20 pm

I'm so glad you went in!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » January 4th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Wow... :shock:

I am SO relieved for you and Harlow, and I am SO glad you brought her in! :clap: :D

I'm a firm believer in "listen to your gut when it comes to the fur babies" myself, so... good for you!!! :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health