Need HEAVY DUTY nail clipper suggestions

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2010, 4:46 pm

It's not Truman....It's LEONARD BERNSTEIN, the Golden! His nails are SO BIG and round in diameter!

I have this one, suggested a while back by Marinepits...

It works great on Truman and the other two. I even get a new one every few months to make sure it is sharp. But Lenny's nails are too thick for it. :|

Any Vet techs or owners of BIG NAILED DOGS want to help me out? :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » January 2nd, 2010, 5:34 pm

try a dremel :| I'm not sure I know of clippers bigger then that...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2010, 5:45 pm

I was going to suggest that, too... but then I thought - it's LEONARD BERNSTEIN. And we'd like to keep Joyce around for a while yet. :shock: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » January 2nd, 2010, 5:46 pm

treats, treats, TREATS! :D :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » January 2nd, 2010, 7:12 pm

hum... garden shears? chain saw? lol
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby amazincc » January 2nd, 2010, 7:23 pm

Bolt cutters! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » January 2nd, 2010, 7:32 pm

:neener:

I don't know about a dremel with him. He doesn't like his feet to be picked up when I clip them. I have to sort of clip them as his feet are on the floor.

We have a system worked out....I do it how he likes it and he doesn't bite me anymore.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » January 2nd, 2010, 7:52 pm

Dremel or wire snips, like the type electricians use -- I used to groom a MONSTEROUS English Mastiff named Gus who was WELL over 200 pounds and regular nail clippers couldn't even "tip" his nails. The owner brought in his own wire snips for me to borrow. Gus didn't like Daddy trimming his nails but he was okay with me. :giggle:

If you do go for the wire snips be VERY careful -- there are no guards on them and they are very sharp. Also, look for ones that are straight, not curved, on the cutting part.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pocketpit » January 2nd, 2010, 10:11 pm

Wire snips are a good idea if you can use them safely. I gave up on doing Moses' nails with trimmers because even with two hands squeezing it's almost impossible to cut through them, so I feel your frustration.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Xarpolis » January 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am

I would suggest something like this.

These were purchased from the Snap-On truck that delivers to my shop. Fortunately I don't need to use them to trim Baku's nails (I use a fingernail clipper that we got while in Japan for that).

This is an old set that I use around the house, but they are incredibly sharp and the main cutting section (at the base of the handle) opens very wide. I could probably take the tip of my finger off if I was into that sort of thing.

I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture but it's a rounded surface that you're cutting with, on both sides. It allows a wire, or in this case a nail, to stay where it is and get cut.

My name is Jon and my wife is Manami.
Together we have Baku, our gorgeous Pit. He was born 7/20/09.
Xarpolis
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2010, 10:51 am

Marinepits wrote:If you do go for the wire snips be VERY careful -- there are no guards on them and they are very sharp. Also, look for ones that are straight, not curved, on the cutting part.

:wave2: Thank you! I think that is my best choice. His paws are like a Grizzly Bears but THANKFULLY his nails are a beige-light red, so I can see the quick on most of them.

Xarpolis wrote:I would suggest something like this.
These were purchased from the Snap-On truck that delivers to my shop.

Thank you for the photo. Now I know what to look for at Home Depot...in the electrical supply section. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby iluvk9 » January 3rd, 2010, 4:52 pm

ooooohhhh! I got a decent photo of BIG FOOT and his nails. These were already cut. :rolleyes2: I think they still need to be shorter.

iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby blabsforbullies » January 3rd, 2010, 8:37 pm

Those look like Wooley Mammoth nails! :jawdrop: STRONG LIKE BULL!!! :sumo: YIKES!!! :shock: :o :shock: :o
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health