Harness question

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2009, 6:20 pm

So... we got a treadmill. It's a carpet mill, and it took FOREVER to put together because the instructions are anything but helpful, but that's a funny story for another day. >( :rolleyes2: lol

Anyway... Sepp will get on it and... sit. For as long as it takes. He won't walk on it and no amount of treats makes him get up... he's tried and he thinks it's not for him. :crazy2:
We're a work in progress. :nono:

Faust, on the other hand, is a maniac on that thing. :shock: :shock: :shock:
He went right from jumping on it for the first time to full-speed running, and he seems to enjoy it immensely... especially when there are visions of liver treats "dancing in his head". :D
The problem is that he chokes and gags himself because he's in such a hurry to get... nowhere, really. :|
There is a chain on the top of that contraption so you can leash your dog to it, and a collar is not the best idea for a dog like Faust. He pulls/runs like crazy, which results in lots of hacking and coughing.

A. What type of harness would be suited for a treadmill?
B. How do we master "walking" at a leisurely pace?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby kera09 » December 29th, 2009, 7:43 pm

i have no idea about the harness, but im laughing hysterically!!! im picturing faust running on it the treadmill lol
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » December 29th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Video please. Thankies :)
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2009, 10:52 pm

LMM wrote:Video please. Thankies :)

Yeeeaaah... once I get some help on how to slow him down. He really does take off at full speed and RUNS. I don't think it's good to start out that way... :? :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby delilahsmommy » December 30th, 2009, 1:43 am

i really think uhh some video of this in the act may uhh help uh all.... :fastRoll: more understand this...
some people just dont get it...
and some shouldnt
delilahsmommy
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » December 30th, 2009, 2:57 am

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=a1 ... in_id=1011

This is pretty much what he does... I'm just sitting on the floor, recording, not saying anything.
If I don't leash him he'll run from the back to the front, jump off, run back around, across the treadmill, jump off again... and repeat that about a gazillion times. lol

I KNOW there's a happy medium, where he won't gag himself while he stays on it and w-a-l-k-s. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » December 30th, 2009, 4:23 am

click and treat for appropriate pace :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 30th, 2009, 7:56 am

I think most videos I've seen of dogs using treadmills they're galloping along like that. You should be able to rig something up for him with just a regular nylon harness (maybe loop a leash or collar through the back of the harness and hook the chain to that). Or you could order a walking harness from Stillwater or one of the weight pull harness makers.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » December 30th, 2009, 9:56 am

Any harness with a D ring on the top of it will work. Grand Carpet Mill sells a padded harness but you can really find something similar anywhere http://www.grandcarpetmill.com/harness.htm

In my experience carpet mills are designed to tire the dog out VERY quickly. The dog has to us much more energy and power to move the mill (very different from a slat mill), so I would keep your sessions really short. As suggested if you really want him to settle in you can reward for the pace you are looking for.

A lot of people end up buying those mills to find out their dogs won't use them so it is fantastic that Faust is enjoying it so much :wink:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TinaMartin » December 30th, 2009, 11:06 am

Looks like hes having fun!
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » December 30th, 2009, 11:08 am

That looks like one happy dog, Christine. I'd let him have short sessions at his own pace.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby LMM » December 30th, 2009, 11:56 am

Gawd what a cutie Faust is.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby kera09 » December 30th, 2009, 12:04 pm

hahahahaha!! where do i get one of those??? was he pooped after?
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby kera09 » December 30th, 2009, 1:40 pm

nevermind i saw what matt posted, im gona start saving for one!!!
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 30th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I tried clicking/treating for a slower pace... it's the only time he'll "talk back" to me to let me know he doesn't agree. It's either very fast... or faster. :rolleyes2: :giggle:

Just about everyone I have talked to recommended an electric treadmill, but I really do like the fact that the dog is more in control on a carpet mill... when they've had enough they can slow down or stop. :)

I might not even need a harness now - I was making coffee this morning and I heard the little maniac running on his own. When I went to check on him a few minutes later he was stretched out on the runner, panting and grinning from ear to ear. He's waaaayyy ahead of me. :D :D :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » December 30th, 2009, 2:25 pm

I might have to seriously consider getting one of these. How hard was it to put together??

My guys could definitely use the extra exercise! Now to save my pennies!!!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » December 30th, 2009, 2:48 pm

LMM wrote:I might have to seriously consider getting one of these. How hard was it to put together??

My guys could definitely use the extra exercise! Now to save my pennies!!!

It's *supposed* to be easy, but most of the pre-drilled, color-coded holes on ours didn't quite match. :bs:
If you have two people, and are handy w/a drill... shouldn't be too hard. :|
It's VERY heavy, but also VERY sturdy once you get it up and running. Not too noisy, which is a plus.
Your dogs will either love it... or not. Sepp doesn't. :rolleyes2:
If you know anyone who has one you might want to ask them to let your dogs try it first. It is an investment, and - like Matt mentioned - some dogs won't have any interest in getting on it.

I have a passed-out puppy snoring next to me as I type this... and it's only 2 o' clock in the afternoon. Unheard of. lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » December 30th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Good idea (testing out someone else's)! I'd hate to spend the money and then none of them use it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby mnp13 » December 30th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Any harness will work, we just use the regular “nothing special” kind like this one:

That video is cute! Just remember not to attach him by the “loop” part of his martingale collar, that restricts his breathing.

We have a Red River slat mill, it has an adjustable break to change the tension on the treads to make it harder or easier to turn so the dog gets a different workout.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby amazincc » December 30th, 2009, 4:27 pm

mnp13 wrote:
We have a Red River slat mill, it has an adjustable break to change the tension on the treads to make it harder or easier to turn so the dog gets a different workout.

Are they still in business??? I can't find any decent info on the internet...
Those treadmills are NICE. :shock:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Next

Return to Training & Behavior