Skin Issues...Vet appt. coming (pics)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » December 29th, 2009, 8:58 pm

UHHHHHHHHHHHH I think I'd rather give him antibiotics than DIP him... :shock:

(((((((((oooohhhh doesn't THAT sound FUN,,,))))))))))))))))

The dipping really wasn't too bad. Degan did get used to taking baths! We just had to mix this liquid (I think it was amitraz) in with water in a milk jug and after washing him with medicated shampoo we had to put that on him, and usually sat for about ten minutes before he got out. It wasn't fun but he didn't fight us much. We just made sure to give him a few treats during and after...and luckily we were done after just a few days.

(Okay so I guess it was kind of a pain in the a**. haha)
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyChick » December 29th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Pitsnok -that sounds like what we are doing with Celena. We switched to an essential oils shampoo 3 times a week, foaming the shampoo, and waiting several minutes. That plus the antibiotics and an holistic mange blend (thanks Christine & Carolann) twice daily.

I have a need to turn to Mother Earth for cures because I am carcinogen-phobic after Vinny. Take it for what it's worth. :D
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » December 29th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Natalie wrote:I vote staph infection. Our last dog had those to varying degrees all his life and we never figured it out. Now we have a new dog with the same thing, new vet (who is awesome!) and sure enough...staph. Make sure you mention it as an idea at your appointment, not all derm-savvy docs will know what to look for. If it is staph, you will probably get a prescription for cephalexin as well as a shampoo with chlorhexidine.

Also, I just found this paper (9http://www.jbc.org/content/256/14/7094.abstract) that shows hydrogen peroxide kills staph. Although the study was done in vitro, not in vivo, I'm trying it with q-tips on my guy's new spots. Good luck!

It could be a staph infection on top of other things. Skin in my medical nemesis! :x I hate it. >( It frustrates me!!! :cuss: LOL! :smileUp:

I could see if there is a pimple or two, trying some hydrogen peroxide wouldn't be an issue. But, if there are lots of pustules, I don't think that the peroxide will be strong enough to kill it. :neutral: Most pyodermas (skin infections) are very deep, and go way beyond the first several layers of the skin. Most dermatologists will put dogs on antibiotics for up to 8 weeks because it is that important and can be that deceivingly deep. :shock: But for a few little bumps, it certainly can't hurt. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » December 29th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Doesn't repeated use of peroxide also remove healthy tissue after a while?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » December 29th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Yep it can.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Natalie » December 29th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Right, but he was on cephalexin for some weeks and now weeks later, he has 2 more spots coming back. It's an experiment. The way I discovered it was that he made "friends" with a skunk, and the vet recommended baking soda-peroxide baths and said we'll deal with the dry skin later after his stench doesn't make you barf anymore. Coincidentally, the staph receded. It's certainly not a cure-all, and I don't plan on using it forever, but if I'll be thrilled if it helps.
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » December 30th, 2009, 12:27 am

Natalie wrote:Right, but he was on cephalexin for some weeks and now weeks later, he has 2 more spots coming back. It's an experiment. The way I discovered it was that he made "friends" with a skunk, and the vet recommended baking soda-peroxide baths and said we'll deal with the dry skin later after his stench doesn't make you barf anymore. Coincidentally, the staph receded. It's certainly not a cure-all, and I don't plan on using it forever, but if I'll be thrilled if it helps.

Oh, I'm not knocking your method... I just remembered hearing and reading about peroxide sometimes doing more harm than good. I hope it works for you. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » December 30th, 2009, 9:05 am

HappyChick wrote:Yep, looks like Demodex to me too. Reno had it and Leni has it now. If that is what the vet finds, there are some homeopathic remedies for the Demodex if you don't want to use Ivermectin. PM me if you are interested. Antibiotics should clean up any secondary skin infections. Does Dar smell yeasty or like Fritos? (I know weird question!)

Dar has always had ' frito feet"....From time I wiped his paws down with the peroxide/vinegar wash that I read about here on the forum, but never can seem to remember (or be home) to keep to a 3x a day recommendation.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I KNOW. Just take my dog Away From me Now. :sad2:

And help me understand Ivermectin and why I might want to consider something else. I was reading another thread about a doggie who had been on it for 3 months for a bad case of mange and there was concern about continuing it.
His appt. is Saturday morning, so I'd like to know what I can, before we go in there.
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby HappyChick » December 30th, 2009, 9:38 am

Ivermectin is an insecticide i.e. toxin/poison as I understand it from my holistic lady. You kill the mange mites by giving the insecticide to your dog internally. You have to administer it building up the amount you give each day until you have reached the proper dosage. Again, I am super cautious about what the dogs ingest now after Vinny. However, Ivermectin has been used to treat mange in dogs for a long time and I have not researched it for adverse health effects. Reno took it as a pup, but that was before I knew there are alternatives.

Ivermectin is probably safe enough if Dar has mange and you choose to use it. Google it and ask the vet about alternatives if you are interested.

Good luck at the vet~!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 30th, 2009, 10:42 am

Here are Indy's before and after pics from his demodex battle: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9444

Loooooooong story short, Indy was found by Animal Control at approximately 3 months old, covered in demodex, almost completely hairless, and with a secondary skin infection that caused his skin to break open and bleed -- it was a staph infection that got completely out-of-control. He was also very skinny and worm-infested. This was about nine years ago, so the details are a bit hazy, LOL, but Dr. Blabs was there from the beginning with his treatments so she can probably give you more details.

I know when he first came in to the vet, he was dipped several times right away in the first few days to get after the demodex, and of course he was started on heavy-duty antibiotics for the staph infection. After that, he got Ivermectin orally for a looooooong time. He also got baths several times a week for months, using Chlorhexidine shampoo. Over the course of the first year or so that we had him, his demodex would flare-up occasionally and he'd have to go back on the Ivermectin. (Demodex tends to flare when the dog's immune system gets stressed, for whatever reason -- a "cold", surgery such as a speuter, allergies, etc.) With Indy, his immune system was SO poor in the first place due to his awful start in life, we just couldn't keep the demodex under control. We finally did, though. I was pretty worried that it would flare during his cancer radiation treatments this past year, but we were lucky.

Indy had generalized demodex, meaning his entire body was involved. With Dar, it appears to be localized demodex which means it will be far easier to treat and you'll probably have more medication and treatment options than we did.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby fenella » December 31st, 2009, 3:06 am

Here's a low quality pic from when murphy had Demodex.
The first scraping didn't show any mites, but a subsequent scraping did.

Our vet didn't do a dip or ivermectin. He gave me a really strong benzoyl peroxide gel to put on it. It didn't help much. I was waiting to get back into the vet and it started to clear on its own. Eventually, that's how it rectified itself.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health