First-time Pit Bull Owner...

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby LeeLooLucy » December 27th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Hello everyone!
My name is Kimberly, I'm from Texas, and I've had my Pit Bull pup, Lucy, for 2 weeks now.

I have owned numerous dogs in the past (most of which have been English Springer Spaniels), and from my experience, Springers seem to have a lot of health issues even if it's just ears problems. My 10-year-old Springer, who was the healthiest Springer of the 2 we had, died at the beginning of this year from, what we guessed, was some type of poisoning from outside because she loved eating grass. Then, last month, my 9-year-old springer, who was always getting sick because of her immune deficiency, died also. To any dog lover, your dog is like family, and losing them just leaves a big empty space... Plus, when you've always had a bunch of dogs around...it's hard to, suddenly, not...

So, after seeing all the homeless Pit Bulls on pet adoption websites and then watching a few episodes of "Pit Bulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet...I decided to give one a chance. And, I've received a lot of criticism from family and friends about that decision because, I guess, "Pit Bull", just seems to scare some people.

So far, Lucy, who is 2 months old, seems like a total people person/lap dog. She wants to be in the lap all the time! She very smart and learning quickly. The only thing I'm worried about is her reactions to other animals as she gets older...

I have a chi-weenie, Peanut, who never learned that she was small, and used to kick my Springers butts! Peanut and Lucy wrestle around all the time. But, I'm a little worried what wrestling with a Pit Bull will be like when she's all grown up. I also have a cat, who wrestles with them too, so I'm just worried how Lucy's interactions with my other animals will go when she's much bigger than they are. I've read that animal aggression in Pit Bulls is something that they can develop later on. I'm just hoping that, at least, it won't ever develop against the animals she was raised with.

Anyway, sorry this was so long. I am very new to the Pit Bull breed. I don't know anyone else who has one, so, any advice or pointers would be very appreciated. I've read bad things and good things about this breed, but I'm hoping for the best!! :)
LeeLooLucy
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 5:49 pm

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! :wave2:

WELCOME to PBT!! Thank you for such an informative introduction!! (now we don't have to ask you a lot of annoying questions!!).... :mrgreen:

Your BABY is a doll!!

Listen:::::: Just hang around here in the "introduction' section, and save your questions for the other topic areas....You can post there once you have been approved by a moderator/administrator. That shouldn't take too long!!

In the mean time, Please post any other pictures you have of your baby...we ADORE pictures.....

One year ago, I too, adopted a baby pit bull from the humane shelter...Dar was 11 weeks old and I had no experience with pits...THIS FORUM is fantastic........
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Marinepits » December 27th, 2009, 6:33 pm

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jketch » December 27th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Welcome. My suggestion is to try and socialize her as much as possible with other dogs. What a cutie!
jketch
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Start a new thread, over in the "Training and Behavior Section" of the forum. First, try entering a 'search' to read all the threads about pit bulls and other pets. NO animals should EVER be left alone....it's just not safe.
But we can talk about that, over on the other thread!!! :+)
ArtGypsy

Postby airwalk » December 27th, 2009, 8:02 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:Start a new thread, over in the "Training and Behavior Section" of the forum. First, try entering a 'search' to read all the threads about pit bulls and other pets. NO animals should EVER be left alone....it's just not safe.

I'm going to stray slightly off topic here...what did they do to you Jody...staying on topic, moving to a new thread...who sucked out your brains....who I ask???
airwalk
I live here

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 8:04 pm

airwalk wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:Start a new thread, over in the "Training and Behavior Section" of the forum. First, try entering a 'search' to read all the threads about pit bulls and other pets. NO animals should EVER be left alone....it's just not safe.

I'm going to stray slightly off topic here...what did they do to you Jody...staying on topic, moving to a new thread...who sucked out your brains....who I ask???

LMAO
:ninjaFight: :ninjaFight:
:ninjaFight:
:ninjaFight:
ArtGypsy

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 8:07 pm

airwalk wrote:

I'm kinda afraid of 'the teacher'........... :sad2: *The Queen*, The Mistress of the Forum...So...(ahem)
I take this new Welcome Wagon Thing a little Too Seriously, Maybe.

But...!!!!!!!!!!! *just hear me out*
couldn't you JUST SEE me jumping in, answering, directing and suggesting stuff for our new member , when ALONG COMES whack.!!

THE REMINDER that this is an "introduction" thread.....I can just hear the AHEM.
so.......... :| :wink: :rolleyes2: I"m just stayin' ahead-of-the-game....**THAT'S How-I-ROLL....

:woowoo: :woowoo:
ArtGypsy

Postby airwalk » December 27th, 2009, 8:09 pm

couldn't you JUST SEE me jumping in, answering, directing and suggesting stuff for our new member , when ALONG COMES whack.!!

LMAO why yes I can....see it and hear it...and did the Queen keep your "off topic" in the freezer for you so you can reclaim it later....okay getting back on topic before I get the whack

Welcome..there are a ton of great owners and lots of wonderful information here...just search and read and ask.
airwalk
I live here

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 8:13 pm

airwalk wrote:

LMAO why yes I can....see it and hear it...and did the Queen keep your "off topic" in the freezer for you so you can reclaim it later....okay getting back on topic before I get the whack

We gotta "watch each other's backs,' Ya know............. :D
ArtGypsy

Postby TheRedQueen » December 27th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Hi and welcome! :wave2: You'll get lots of great info here on PBT...(just ignore the crazies) :crazy2:

lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » December 27th, 2009, 9:41 pm

:wave2: Hello and welcome
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 27th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Welcome! :wave2:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby airwalk » December 27th, 2009, 11:12 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Hi and welcome! :wave2: You'll get lots of great info here on PBT...(just ignore the crazies) :crazy2:

lol

I think she's talking about me :wave2:
airwalk
I live here

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 11:38 pm

airwalk wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Hi and welcome! :wave2: You'll get lots of great info here on PBT...(just ignore the crazies) :crazy2:

lol

I think she's talking about me :wave2:

:crazy2: NO! me!!!!!!!!! :x

*AHEM*
:oops: :P
ArtGypsy

Postby TheRedQueen » December 27th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Calm down girls, you're both crazy... :smileUp: ...it was plural after all! :wink:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 27th, 2009, 11:54 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

UH OH...........
Michelle will be Mad if we scare off the new members...... :smileUp: :smileUp: :smileUp:

"""""""Come-Back-Kimberly!!!!******
----------------Jody, who's waiting for the new girl to come back and post pictures of her new baby pit bull... :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby fenella » December 28th, 2009, 4:37 am

Welcome! Your pup is ADORABLE! It's always nice to hear about a rescue dog finding a good home!
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 28th, 2009, 8:12 am

Welcome to the forum! :wave2: Your puppy in the avatar is adorable.

Jody and Diana are gonna be in trouble.... :shocker: BAN THEM for going off topic, Admin!! :)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 28th, 2009, 9:20 am

iluvk9 wrote:

Jody and Diana are gonna be in trouble.... :shocker: BAN THEM for going off topic, Admin!! :)

>( >( >( HMMMFFF.
Aren't YOU the Sassy-Pants-Girl!!!!!!!! :devil:

**********Nudging Joyce over and welcoming Our New Member Kim*********** :wave2:
ArtGypsy

Next

Return to Introductions