Vick recipient of Block Courage Award

Postby amazincc » December 24th, 2009, 12:41 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4767825

ESPN.com news services
PHILADELPHIA -- Michael Vick's peers appreciate his tough journey back to the NFL.

I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear.
-- Michael Vick

Vick won the Ed Block Courage Award, voted on by his teammates on the Philadelphia Eagles, after the once-disgraced star quarterback returned to the league after spending 18 months in a federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring.

"It means a great deal to me," Vick said Wednesday. "I was voted unanimously by my teammates. They know what I've been through. I've been through a lot. It's been great to come back and have an opportunity to play and be with a great group of guys. I'm just ecstatic about that and I enjoy every day."

A three-time Pro Bowl pick in six seasons with Atlanta, Vick has played sparingly with the Eagles after signing a $1.6 million contract during the preseason, with a team option for next year worth $5.2 million.

Vick was granted full reinstatement to the league on Sept. 3 by commissioner Roger Goodell, who allowed him to return to the field in Week 3. Vick has two touchdowns rushing and one passing in 12 games.

The Ed Block Award honors players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Each of the 32 NFL teams selects a recipient.

"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad.

"There's always consequences behind certain things and repercussions behind them, too. And then you have to wake up every day and face the world, whether they perceive you in the right perspective, it's a totally different outlook on you. You have to be strong, believe in yourself, be optimistic. That's what I've been able to do. That's what I display."

The Eagles were criticized by animal rights activists for signing Vick less than a month after he was released from prison. Dozens of protesters voiced their outrage outside the team's practice facility the day after Vick was signed, and many fans threatened to give up their tickets.

But Vick got a warm reception in his first game with the Eagles and by most accounts has been a model citizen off the field.

The animal rights group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, issued a statement reprimanding the Eagles for giving Vick the award.

"The Philadelphia Eagles fumbled when they gave Michael Vick the Ed Block Courage Award, which was named after a man who advocated in behalf of abused children," the PETA statement read. "Michael Vick should not be the person anyone points to as a model of sportsmanship, even though he has now exchanged dogs for touchdowns after serving time for extreme cruelty to animals. We wish him well in educating others, but this is not appropriate and does not mark a joyous moment in NFL history."

Vick has spent time working with the Humane Society of the United States, speaking to school and community groups about the mistakes he made in getting involved in dogfighting.

"It was a big obstacle proving I'm worthy of a second chance," Vick said. "It doesn't stop here. I have to continue to prove that. I think it's not going to be a day-to-day process, it's going to be a year-in, year-out process. It's a challenge to myself. The thing I told Roger is that four or five years from now, I'm going to come to him and say, 'Everything I told you I was going to do, I'm still doing it.' And that's what I pride myself on and that's my focus and that's my goal."

Quarterback Donovan McNabb called the award "well-deserved."

"Congratulations to him for straightening his life around and bettering himself as a human being," coach Andy Reid said. "He's obviously very well-respected by his teammates."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

*************************************************************************************************************************

:puke: :puke: :puke:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » December 24th, 2009, 12:53 am

"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad.

He must be freaking kidding! :biggun:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 24th, 2009, 1:31 am

Um. Yeah. I got nothing.

Un-fucking-believable.

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby kera09 » December 24th, 2009, 2:09 am

:bs: :puke: :puke: :puke: :biggun:
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » December 24th, 2009, 4:03 am

This sickens me.
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » December 24th, 2009, 8:07 am

My first reaction - :puke:
Followed by - :cuss:
And closely by :bs:

Just kinda sucks the life out of any faith you may have in humanity.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby ArtGypsy » December 24th, 2009, 8:58 am

amazincc wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4767825

I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear.
-- Michael Vick

WTF??????????

--------------Okay,,,,,,,,, *deep breath*...((remember to BREATHE, JODY, BREATHE))

All I can say to this (well, NO, THIS IS NOT ""ALL"" I CAN SAY, BUT IT'S ALL I WILL SAY)

is he'd better PRAY to whatever god he believes in, that this higher being doesn't have a sense of humor, because if he thinks what he's gone through is "MORE' than one single human being can bear. (I almost can't type the words), Ole Sadistic vick may just might have to EARN this COURAGE AWARD in ways he never believed possible. Life May just GIVE him some burdens to Bear.

This makes me sick.

BIG ASSED BABY :bs:
BOOOOHOOOOOBOOOOHHOOOOOOOOO..WAHWAHWAH. :crazy2: :bs: :cuss: :nono: :mad2:

((ahem)).

sorry. :rantSwitch:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby jcoffey917 » December 24th, 2009, 9:20 am

You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad.

He's exactly right! Most people could not bear the situations that he has put himself in because 95% of people could NEVER imagine torturing dogs and forcing them to fight until their death while watching and betting on it! Most people would get physically ill doing the situations that he put himself in and he found joy in it. I've heard that the Bills are in talks to sign him for next year- I'll be there protesting with Cooper if he is!! :mad2:
jcoffey917
Just Whelped

Postby airwalk » December 24th, 2009, 9:35 am

Says a lot about the Eagles and the general state of Professional Sports doesn't it?

Hector deserves the award...Vick...well I can think of some things he deserves..but one day he will be called to answer.
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 24th, 2009, 10:18 am

"It means a great deal to me," Vick said Wednesday. "... They know what I've been through. I've been through a lot...."

So have all the dogs you tortured. Loser.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » December 24th, 2009, 11:11 am

Boo-fuc*king-hoo, my life was sooo hard playing professional sports and being brought up in a harsh neighborhood or whatever. Hey kiddo, you're not the only one and not every guy like you ends up having a dog fighting operation in his damn backyard "without knowing" about it... What a loser. :cuss:
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » December 24th, 2009, 11:19 am

I think he's coming to Baltimore to accept the award...that's what I heard. I'm waiting to hear about an organized protest...anyone in the area know anything? Score and I want to be there...telling everyone what bullshit this is... :mad2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TinaMartin » December 24th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I still say the butt munch is NOT sorry about what he did but just sorry he got caught! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby AllAmericanPUP » December 26th, 2009, 11:47 am

wow..just wow...i love how he's trying to play the victim...what a POS :mad2:
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby HappyChick » December 26th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Mother Smurfer!!!! G D disgusting. What is wrong with those Eagles? I never liked them anyway.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby fenella » December 26th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Le Barf :puke:

I was so mad when I heard this on the radio on my way to drop my guys off at Erin's for the holiday.
It is being held Mar. 9 at Martin's West in Baltimore (same place I organized a school prom a few years ago...but I digress)
There are a lot of reputable players getting the award, too, as each team nominates a recipient from their team. The event is also a fundraiser for the Courage House (I think) which helps abused children. So, it is a good event, just cheapened by Vick's presence.
http://www.edblock.org/content/32nd-ed-block-courage-awards
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby fenella » December 26th, 2009, 9:17 pm

BTW, I think maybe a silent protest...just people standing with their dogs, would be appropriate. It's private property, but there is a hotel that shares the driveway to the parking lot
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » January 2nd, 2010, 10:41 am

fenella wrote:BTW, I think maybe a silent protest...just people standing with their dogs, would be appropriate. It's private property, but there is a hotel that shares the driveway to the parking lot

I wonder if any groups in the area are organizing a protest...I'm gonna look around to see. Score and I want to be there.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Return to Michael Vick