Remadyl Over dose

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SvcDogSawyer » December 22nd, 2009, 11:26 am

I've got a friend with a 12 - 15 lb mini poodle that ate 14 Remadyl tablets about 30 min. ago. Her vet told her she didn't need to come in and to just give him some Peroxide. Is that all she should be doing?
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby Pit♥bull » December 22nd, 2009, 11:31 am

Peroxide will cause vomiting, but 14..... Wow, but I guess the Vet should know.

I would contact animal poison control, but they charge for each call
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby SvcDogSawyer » December 22nd, 2009, 11:34 am

OK...nevermind...the little crap hid them under the bed. Stupid Poodles!
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby Pit♥bull » December 22nd, 2009, 11:38 am

LMAO
Bet that's a relief :)
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 11:47 am

OMG... I was about to have heart failure... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Damned right - STUPID poodles. LMAO

For future references, everything I've read about Rimadyl overdose in dogs states the following:

Seek emergency veterinary medical treatment. Symptoms of Rimadyl overdose include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, seizures, panting, little or no urine production, and slow breathing.

What to Watch For
*Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, melena (black, tarry stools), abdominal pain and ulceration of the stomach.
* Damage to the kidneys may cause signs of acute kidney failure such as increased thirst, increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy and dilute urine (lighter in color).
* Symptoms associated with damage to the liver include jaundiced skin, gums, inside of ears, and sclera (whites of the eyes) as well as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and lethargy.
Source(s):
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/rimadyl-ca ... page1.aspx

14 is a lot for a little dog. Most sites also recommend the administration of charcoal and/or pumping the stomach, especially if the dog ate the chewables, plus putting the dog on an IV for possible dehydration.

I'm glad the little shite is okay. :rolleyes2: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » December 22nd, 2009, 12:18 pm

Omg what a scare that little bastard just gave his owner! lol
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby iluvk9 » December 22nd, 2009, 12:32 pm

OMG!! :shock: I am so happy this was a good ending.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » December 22nd, 2009, 2:04 pm

:shock: :eek1:

Ok, for future reference for ANYONE reading this thread, any Rimadyl overdose should be seen by a Vet!

Rimadyl is a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory, and at normal doses should be used cautiously, any overdose has potential to completely & irreversibly do serious damage to the pet.

It should also be noted that any Pet taking Corticosteroids should NOT take NSAIDS, and it would be even more important for the Pet who'd ingested both to see a Veterinarian, as Steroids cause a whole new level of complications.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 3:41 pm

I think I'd be "shopping" for a new vet right about now. :nono: :bs:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » December 22nd, 2009, 3:53 pm

SvcDogSawyer wrote:I've got a friend with a 12 - 15 lb mini poodle that ate 14 Remadyl tablets about 30 min. ago. Her vet told her she didn't need to come in and to just give him some Peroxide. Is that all she should be doing?

:shock: don't go in?

wow....
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » December 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm

amazincc wrote:I think I'd be "shopping" for a new vet right about now. :nono: :bs:

Yea that was my thought too but I'm not a vet and I tend to err on the side of caution. I'm glad Malli chimed in here!
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby blabsforbullies » December 22nd, 2009, 8:20 pm

That dog would absolutely have had problems that would have required veterinary care.... and possibly hospitalization. :sad2: In addition to gastic (stomach) ulcers, there could have been serious organ damage. :cry: My own personal dog died because of a reaction to a NSAID at the dose it SHOULD have been on, so I know personally, as well as professionally, how serious these things can be. :neutral:

There are very few medications that have a wide margin of safety.... my advice is to always seek veterinary care and/or poison control advice should an overdose occur. :prescription:

BUT, I am relieved to hear that all is OK and that the little booger was playin' hide and seek! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby SvcDogSawyer » December 23rd, 2009, 10:56 am

Thanks for the info.

I've told her she should look for another vet.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby call2arms » December 23rd, 2009, 11:54 pm

What a little turd!! Hiding pills...
By rule of thumb, if your dog eats a large quantity of something that's medicated, it probably needs to be seen...

We had 2 standard poodles that chewed up a Rymadil bottle this summer, they got an activated charcoal treatment, spent a few days on I.V (the older one spent a week) fluids and got several blood tests over these days, just to give you an idea of what is done.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby dlynne1123 » December 24th, 2009, 12:34 pm

amazincc wrote:OMG... I was about to have heart failure... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Damned right - STUPID poodles. LMAO

For future references, everything I've read about Rimadyl overdose in dogs states the following:

Seek emergency veterinary medical treatment. Symptoms of Rimadyl overdose include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, seizures, panting, little or no urine production, and slow breathing.

What to Watch For
*Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, melena (black, tarry stools), abdominal pain and ulceration of the stomach.
* Damage to the kidneys may cause signs of acute kidney failure such as increased thirst, increased urination, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy and dilute urine (lighter in color).
* Symptoms associated with damage to the liver include jaundiced skin, gums, inside of ears, and sclera (whites of the eyes) as well as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and lethargy.
Source(s):
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/rimadyl-ca ... page1.aspx

14 is a lot for a little dog. Most sites also recommend the administration of charcoal and/or pumping the stomach, especially if the dog ate the chewables, plus putting the dog on an IV for possible dehydration.

I'm glad the little shite is okay. :rolleyes2: :wink:

I would recommend, 1. peroxide immediately 2. rice/chicken or toast to absorb chemicals 3. check blood work in about a week to see if any major kidney or liver damage occured.
extreme circumstances, would be to go to emergency for fluid therapy and toxiban, extreme doses can cause organ failure without reversal. You would not see symptoms right away.
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 24th, 2009, 3:59 pm

dlynne1123 wrote:
I would recommend, 1. peroxide immediately 2. rice/chicken or toast to absorb chemicals 3. check blood work in about a week to see if any major kidney or liver damage occured.
extreme circumstances, would be to go to emergency for fluid therapy and toxiban, extreme doses can cause organ failure without reversal. You would not see symptoms right away.

Again... I'm NOT a vet, but - if he ate (and actually chewed) the chewables, wouldn't the meds be absorped differently than if he had swallowed them whole? And how would peroxide be helpful then?
I am astonished at the extremely cavalier attitude of the vet. Giving advise over the phone w/out examining the dog... very irresponsible. :bs: :nono:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby call2arms » December 25th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Chewing the tabs or not, they'll just get absorbed faster if they're chewed but will still be processed/decomposed by the stomach acids and be synthetized by the liver.

Peroxyde helps by promoting vomiting, right after ingestion. But it's better to go to the vet anyway...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Nutrition & Health