Small accomplishments... :)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby amazincc » December 21st, 2009, 10:45 pm

We've been working very hard on manners lately, as well as basic obedience... and the boys are doing really great. :D

Great recall... Sepp and Faust will both come immediately when called. I haven't had to chase anybody through the yard in weeks now.

Both will automatically sit at the door and wait for a release command. No more barreling in or out.

Faust makes awesome eye contact. He literally "watches me" like a hawk, and I've started to teach him hand signals.

I can give them each a different command at the same time by combining it w/their names, and they both listen (for instance...Faust - sit, Seppel - down).

More duration w/"stay" and "wait"... the other day I told Faust to wait for his food, and ten minutes later he was still sitting in front of his bowl, drooling and looking all disgusted - but patiently waiting for me to tell him "okay". I had forgotten all about him... :rolleyes2: :oops:

The funniest thing happens at night though... after they both get some treats, I'll say: "No more... maybe tomorrow..." - and they'll both give a HUGE sigh, go to their beds, and fall asleep. It's nice not to have a begging snout in my face for the rest of the evening. :giggle:

Takes a lot of patience and work to get them where I want them to be, but it's awesome to see results.
And my evil puppy is so stinkin' smart! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Baby steps... but I'm very happy! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » December 21st, 2009, 11:06 pm

Good boys. Curious, are you doing any of this with just treating or using the clicker also, or something how. Spill it woman.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Hundilein » December 21st, 2009, 11:09 pm

Way to go! You might have to give me some tips next time I'm in NC. They sound better trained than my monster.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » December 21st, 2009, 11:22 pm

madremissy wrote:Good boys. Curious, are you doing any of this with just treating or using the clicker also, or something how. Spill it woman.

Some clicker... LOTS of treats while I teach something... TONS of verbal praise once they know a command. Crap loads of consistency and patience w/a little magic dust sprinkled on my head. lol

I do NILIF all the time, w/everything. Makes life SO much easier. I find that the dogs are much more motivated now. :dance:
Last edited by amazincc on December 21st, 2009, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » December 21st, 2009, 11:23 pm

Hundilein wrote:Way to go! You might have to give me some tips next time I'm in NC. They sound better trained than my monster.

I seriously doubt that... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby LMM » December 21st, 2009, 11:25 pm

Yay! Good work :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby amazincc » December 21st, 2009, 11:34 pm

LMM wrote:Yay! Good work :D

I'm MUCH better at teaching tricks than implementing commands... :oops: :|

Mine knew how to "drop it", and "say hi", and do other cute stuff waaayyyy before they didn't try to trample me on the way out the door. :nono: :neener:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby madremissy » December 21st, 2009, 11:46 pm

Kinzyl has the sitting before entering and exiting and relly good at manners (most of the time). Still working on Daddy letting her jump up and give him a hug. We will not discuss Sammy. He is a work in progess. :nono: I want to teach the tricks part. We have shake, and leave it. She is getting good at the touch command. I want to teach her to roll over or play dead or something cutesy that will break the ice sometimes when people come over.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby airwalk » December 22nd, 2009, 12:04 am

So Christine..is it cold in NC right now? If it is, please don't leave the box with holes on your front porch for long. I'm not sure how long the fleece coat will keep Magic and Doogie warm. :wink:
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 12:05 am

Oh, I finally got the jumping on me under control... finally. :P

Mine know tons of cute-but-useless stuff... wanna trade for a few weeks? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » December 22nd, 2009, 12:06 am

magic and doogie really don't know the cute but useless and they both still try to barrel me at the door....and doog...what a food mooch.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 12:09 am

airwalk wrote:So Christine..is it cold in NC right now? If it is, please don't leave the box with holes on your front porch for long. I'm not sure how long the fleece coat will keep Magic and Doogie warm. :wink:

LMAO
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » December 22nd, 2009, 12:10 am

i promise to double up their coats..but magic is such a woosie. Could you just send them back fully trained please :mrgreen: :smileUp:
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 12:18 am

lol... yeah, okay. :neener:

I think I just get lucky, most of the time.
Faust is SO food-motivated and watches me SO intently that he often runs into furniture and door frames, falls up or down the stairs, or smacks his head into various things. :giggle:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » December 22nd, 2009, 12:27 am

:clap: Well done!

I tell people all of the time to teach manners like they teach tricks. Everyone has fun tricks like "shake paw" and "play dead", etc...and they always have such a good time when they teach their dogs the tricks...but get stressed about the *REAL* stuff. Sounds like you have the right idea!

It's all tricks. 8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 12:59 am

TheRedQueen wrote:and they always have such a good time when they teach their dogs the tricks...but get stressed about the *REAL* stuff.

Very true... why IS that?

Once I stopped concentrating on the "failures" the successes were SWEET! I noticed that the dogs want, and really like, to learn new stuff... I just have to go about teaching things a different way. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby kera09 » December 22nd, 2009, 1:07 am

come to my house and help me!!!! hehehehe
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » December 22nd, 2009, 1:12 am

kera09 wrote:come to my house and help me!!!! hehehehe

Hire a trainer... it'll motivate you to no end to teach your dogs what they *should* know already.
Kind of like tidying up the house before the housekeeper comes over... :rolleyes2: :oops: lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby CinderDee » December 22nd, 2009, 4:26 am

amazincc wrote:
airwalk wrote:So Christine..is it cold in NC right now? If it is, please don't leave the box with holes on your front porch for long. I'm not sure how long the fleece coat will keep Magic and Doogie warm. :wink:

LMAO

LMAO

WTG Christine! Let me know when you're ready for a spoiled senior that bowls you over when he wants to go out.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » December 22nd, 2009, 4:46 am

:clap:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Next

Return to Training & Behavior