Dog in heat...ideas for diapers?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » December 19th, 2009, 10:19 am

Okay, so I agreed to house a pug for the weekend or so, until she gets re-homed...it was me or AC...and she's had a rough few days. Fenella/Jenn brought her to me last night...*her* friend had the dog, and was allergic to her. Before you jump on that, let me tell you...she had the dog less than 24 hours...a friend of *hers* dumped the dog on her because he knew "she wanted a pug". The guy had gone to rescue the pug from a home that was claiming..."the pet python wants to snack on the pug...the pug needs to go ASAP!" So he went to get the pug, and picked up a chihuahua also. His pack of dogs liked the chi, but not the pug, so he drove over to his friend's house (because she thinks pugs are cute), and dropped her off. The friend indeed does love pugs, but is also allergic to dogs. Within an hour, she was covered in a rash...and called Jenn. Jenn called me, I said, "sure, I'll take her, she'll be easy to re-home." At this point, I knew she was un-spayed.

However, it's a bit more complicated, as she's actively IN HEAT. The Wiener aka Figment is intact.

Now, keeping them apart, not such a big deal...they both weigh less than 20# (Fig is only 8-9#), and my doors are solid wood. They're being kept apart by at least two doors, plus each crated when not supervised (Fig is in his crate right now, while she has some out-of-her-crate time....and there are doors shut between them.

Problem is, she's spotting...and she's marking things (she peed on the cat scratcher last night). I can leash her for the marking...which I've done. But the spotting...I need diapers for her. Trouble is...we're snowed in at the moment, and I have no baby diapers to convert for her.

What I do have is bag of adult diapers (a gag gift for John's 40th b-day) and some panti liners.

Right now, she's in a make-shift outfit, made from the leg of a pair of John's sweatpants (old ones). I cut leg holes for her, and sewed the butt shut...so she can't spot. I can just take the outfit off and wash it. Any better ideas though? She's wearing the outfit well, no problems...but I don't know if there is anything easier/better to try?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 19th, 2009, 10:21 am

I have no idea, but could you take a picture of her current outfit?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Hundilein » December 19th, 2009, 10:22 am

No advice, but I think we need pictures.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » December 19th, 2009, 10:29 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I have no idea, but could you take a picture of her current outfit?

coming soon!

Of course after I typed this, she took off her outfit...so back to her crate she went.

BTW, we named her *Jovie* (her name was...get this..."Pugsy" :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » December 19th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Is she really little? I'm thinking maybe you could make a diaper using a sock or two, with some liners inside?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » December 19th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Jenn wrote:Is she really little? I'm thinking maybe you could make a diaper using a sock or two, with some liners inside?

She was stretching out the sweatpant leg...she's rotund like most pugs...I can't get my two hands around her midsection, and she's slim for a pug. lol

TheRedQueen

Postby blabsforbullies » December 19th, 2009, 4:15 pm

You've already tried the suggestion I would have made. :wink:

Ok... no laughing.... :crazy2:

How about trying a pair of your won underware and safety pinning it to fit around her? And using the pads for absorption? I'm kinda out of other suggestions.... :|
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby TheRedQueen » December 19th, 2009, 4:35 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:You've already tried the suggestion I would have made. :wink:

Ok... no laughing.... :crazy2:

How about trying a pair of your won underware and safety pinning it to fit around her? And using the pads for absorption? I'm kinda out of other suggestions.... :|

lol...I was thinking about a pair of undies...no pics of that, if I use them...sorry! lol

TheRedQueen

Postby Leslie H » December 19th, 2009, 5:24 pm

You can take human undies, cut a tail hole, and then use an elastic band to tighten up the excess. Soleil is very good about wearing whatever I put on her. I buy her pullups, they're sized by weight, and they fit her very well, but she's quite narrow waisted compared to a pug.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby amazincc » December 19th, 2009, 5:58 pm

I just saw the pic you posted on FB... no advise, but it made me :giggle:.
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » December 21st, 2009, 4:48 pm

I bought some doggie diapers for her...she ran around the house last night, and was happy. But then they started sliding off her butt. :| Trouble is, she's not *my* dog, so she's not real happy about holding still to get them on! She's not exactly trained.

TheRedQueen

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 21st, 2009, 8:58 pm

I bought the ones they sell at PetSmart they come in different sizes and have Velcro to adjust them. or you can try our some kid sided undies with a hole cut for the tail

LOL good luck!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby fenella » December 26th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I just wanted to say that Erin Rocks my Socks. :rock:
I was ill-equipped to handle Jovie for more than a day or two (as my guys aren't as new-dog friendly). Erin came to the rescue by agreeing to take her on. My friend really did mean well. As Erin said, the dog was sort of forced upon her. She hoped that allergy meds would allow her to keep her, but it proved not to be the case within an hour. The dog also was from Craig's list before it went to the python people before it went to the rescuer before it went to my friend before it went to me before it went to Erin. The poor little girl got bounced around so much! I'm so happy Erin and John were able to place her in a good pug home with kids. She really was a sweet little thing.
THANKS ERIN AND JOHN!!! :confetti:
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health