Dry Skin?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » December 18th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Anyone else have dogs that tend to get itchy with the cold weather? All 3 of my crew seem to be a bit itchy lately with Kayden being the worse.

No change in food or diet. I realize they can develop a sensitivity over time but it seems odd that all 3 are itchy.

I'm going to supplement in some extra fatty acids to see if this helps :|
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby TheRedQueen » December 18th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Xander has suddenly (in the past week or two) been chewing himself all over...no rash, no bumps like his usual allergy. Just chewing the hair off of his legs. I've started him on extra oil capsules too, and a couple of benadryl (which he takes for his normal fall/spring allergies).
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » December 18th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I'd try the extra caps.

If you don't think it'll irritate the skin too much, you also use a Rubber "Curry" Style brush to loosen some of the dry skin, too. It'll stimulate the skin and oil production a bit, too.
an example : http://www.westcoastpetsupply.com/2/Saf ... rry-Brush/

Oscar gets quite flakey in the winter and I've used this before, but he doesn't generally get "itchy all over" without the allergic reaction...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » December 18th, 2009, 2:53 pm

Thanks, it is funny you suggest a curry brush. I just bought one the other week because Kayden's coat is so short and tight. All of the dogs LOVE that thing
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby Malli » December 18th, 2009, 4:32 pm

yeah, its good for a scritching :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » December 18th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I find that the MUCH lower humidity of winter in addition to heating the house dries EVERYTHING out -- including my skin and hair (I don't even need a hairdryer in the winter. I just lean over the woodstove, LOL). The dogs, especially Mac, are itching like crazy and are all dandruff-y. We run the humidifier upstairs and that does seem to help quite a bit, and we also "up" their intake of fish oil pills.

Indy and his scar tissue are having a *really* hard time. Between the dry air making his scar tissue peel, and the sharp ice chunks cutting into his leg, he's a mess. He stepped into some deep snow the other day and caught a hidden branch right across his leg. He bled all the way into the house and the yard looks like something was slaughtered there. :shock: Dr Blabs recommended using Bag Balm on his leg (not directly on the cut) and that seems to be helping so far. Bag Balm also works quite well on dry elbows and pads but will stain carpeting with "oily" spots so be careful.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » December 18th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Omega 3's!!!

Jessie gets itchy and flaky this time of the year, and I'm planning on buying omega 3 caps for her, as it's working really well my coworker's dogs.

I guess you could increase fish consumption or add fish oil to food as well, to help with the skin.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » December 19th, 2009, 12:45 am

call2arms wrote:Omega 3's!!!

Jessie gets itchy and flaky this time of the year, and I'm planning on buying omega 3 caps for her, as it's working really well my coworker's dogs.

I guess you could increase fish consumption or add fish oil to food as well, to help with the skin.

omega 3's are fish oil, most of the time ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » December 19th, 2009, 4:09 pm

That's why I'm saying to add fish, if people don't want to buy supplement or already can include fish in a raw diet :D
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Nutrition & Health