Puppies on their backs...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Marty » May 2nd, 2006, 10:44 pm

U.S.ARMY recipe for creation of Super dogs
I don't know if this is what shes talking about but I'll share this...

In dog breeding, it is often believed that all process of good selection lies in choosing the best blood lines and that all good characteristics are fully inheritable, and even though it's pretty much true, studies have shown that only 35% of dog characteristics are a result of inheritable factors. What does that mean? It means that other 65% goes to other influences, like training, feeding, etc.
Studying that phenommenon, many scientists with many different opinions tried to find out new ways of dog stimulation to improve their inherited characteristics ( mostly psychological ), and tried many new methods. Some were significant and important for further research, some were not, but never the less, one thing that every one of them approves is the fact that first days and weeks of a new born pup are of most importance for further development of the dog.
Studies have shown that if pups were removed from a litter every day for 3 minutes for 5-10 days, their body heat will be lower than normal. This sort of small stress is enough to provoke hormonal inconsistency. Further researches have shown that "very small amounts of stress" at an early age can give us grown dogs that can reach the maximum of their abilities. When they were tested as grown up, those dogs had much better reactions then the dogs that were not stimulated as pups, which were enourmosly scared when they were exposed to highly stressed situations.
In need for improving dog charasteristics, the American Army launched the "Super Dog Program". After years of research it was determined that early neurological stimulative exercise can give important long term efects. For the optimum result to be achieved it is also very important to know when to apply those exercises and that period is between the 3rd and 17th day of life of the pup. For that purpose, five exercises were created. It is important to do all five exercises every day, but only once a day, because you will not get better results if you repeat that more then once in one day. The best way is to do all five of those exercises with one pup and then to do it with another.

1. Stimulation between fingers. Holding pup in one hand, try to gently tickle it between the fingers on any paw. The best way is to use q-tips and it is not important for you to notice that puppy feals that tickelling. This exercise lasts 3-5 seconds.

2. Using both hands, hold pup upright (head up) for 3-5 seconds.

3. Holding pup gently with both hands, turn it up side down (head facing ground) and hold it like that 3-5 seconds.

4. Lay the pup on your palms in the way that his head is facing you. It is OK for pup to wiggle (it is only important to lay on his back). Hold him in that position for 3-5 seconds.

5. Take dry towel wich was refrigerated for at least five minuts. Put the puppy on that towel (belly down). Do not try to stop pup if it want to crawl. This exercise lasts 3-5 seconds too.

If you do that exercises right, you can expect next results:

-better blood flow
-stronger heart beats
-stronger adrenalin glands
-low stress sensitivety
-better immunity

In later tests, it was noticed that dogs on which that practice was applied are much more active and willing to explore, fast to learn and very dominant toward other-unstimulated pups from same litter.
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 2nd, 2006, 10:47 pm

Oh, that's just the way I use it, "msvette2u". :)

I think most people think it's steadfast, and many people (breeders, rescues, shelters) will put pups to sleep based on that chart. :shock:

My dogs would have been clunkers according to that chart, and they're great dogs now and we adore them!!
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 pm

Thank you!!
Although I did not do those exercises I've heard of the study and the theories and I did manage to hold each pup daily, if only to snuggle and let it smell my neck.
I've also dealt with puppies that I KNEW came from a barn somewhere where they were born and raised alone, no interaction with people, and then were dumped alongside the road or in an empty parking lot.
I much prefer the ones who've been handled daily since day one!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marty » May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 pm

Sorry wasn't ment for me :|
Last edited by Marty on May 2nd, 2006, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 10:51 pm

a-bull wrote:Oh, that's just the way I use it, "msvette2u". :)

I think most people think it's steadfast, and many people (breeders, rescues, shelters) will put pups to sleep based on that chart. :shock:

:shock:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 2nd, 2006, 10:52 pm

Marty wrote:

My dogs would have been clunkers according to that chart, and they're great dogs now and we adore them!!
I don't use it and my dogs are fine also ;)

Just sharing :D

I agree---and your dogs are both tenacious and loving, right?? They were probably little buggers when they were pups, too, huh?? :twisted:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 2nd, 2006, 10:53 pm

Like I said, I've heard of it. I choose to do the "be a baby" at 8 weeks old. Yes, I do it everyday....I use it as a bonding experience...I use it as a way to get my dogs used to me touching them ALL OVER. My theory is this: how can you tell if something feels wrong on your dog, if you don't know what they feel like when they're healthy?
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Marty » May 2nd, 2006, 10:55 pm

a-bull wrote:
Marty wrote:

I agree---and your dogs are both tenacious and loving, right?? They were probably little buggers when they were pups, too, huh?? :twisted:
Aren't they all :D
Marty
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » May 2nd, 2006, 11:03 pm

Marty wrote:
a-bull wrote:
Marty wrote:

Aren't they all :D

That "Willing"---is that his name??? Bet he was a can of worms as a pup. He's my favorite. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » May 3rd, 2006, 10:40 pm

a-bull wrote:I just kind of use it as potential personality guideline---to know what you may be working with and to help with training---but nothing is steadfast.

Well said. I agree completely. :wink:
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » May 3rd, 2006, 10:57 pm

Lisa wrote:
a-bull wrote:I just kind of use it as potential personality guideline---to know what you may be working with and to help with training---but nothing is steadfast.

Well said. I agree completely. :wink:

:wink: :wink3:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior