Help! Looks like another allergy dog...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitsnok » December 13th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I don't know if this has any significance, but I seem to be overly allergic to Leni. I break out in very itchy hives every time I touch her. I can take a Loratidine to take care of that.

I have the same issue you do. I am extremely allergic to Harlow, and Degan barely bothers me at all. Anywhere Harlow licks me, or if her teeth touch me I will immediately break out in hives.

Harlow used to get bumps like Leni's all the time when she was a pup, and we switched from solid gold, which is bison based, to Wellness core, which is grain-free... and although she does still get the bumps it's very rare, and nothing a little benadryl won't clear up.

Gotta love white dogs! :D
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dlynne1123 » December 13th, 2009, 8:45 pm

HappyChick wrote:Dlynne - Celena is three months old. I know I didn't want to change her foods again and again because I had read that food switches should be over several weeks. She ate the chicken for two weeks, then as she seemed to be getting worse, I decided to switch to beef and brown rice. Would she still get worse after removing the chicken from her diet if it is a chicken allergy? Reno and Guido still eat raw chicken.

Christine - yes, she was given a dose of Revolution about 10 days ago.

Unfortunately after histamines are released, the reactions can still last a couple weeks, unless you shut off the response with steriods or similar meds. Other wise they work their course. Think flea allergy dermatitis, we'll see cats itching weeks after they've had the fleas irradicated. Your body is in a full blown response, that really cant' be reversed without meds. So, with food, and without meds, it could last a couple weeks easy!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 13th, 2009, 9:25 pm

amazincc wrote:
blabsforbullies wrote:Lots of good thoughts here. I will add this....

Once you are on a limited hypoallergenic diet, it can take 8-12 WEEKS :shock: for you to see the full effect, if it will help. And during that trial, NOTHING ELSE CAN BE GIVEN, INCLUDING FLAVORED TREATS, FLAVORED MEDICATIONS, FLAVORED SUPPLEMENTS...NOTHING! It is extremely hard to do! :neutral:

It would be rare for allergies to develop at this stage, but it does happen.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Can you give hypo-allergenic treats that have the same ingredients as the diet that's being fed?
'Cause, yeah... no treats is extremely hard to do. :oops: :wink:

If they have the same ingredients but none other or extra, then yes :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » December 14th, 2009, 10:38 am

Malli wrote:
If they have the same ingredients but none other or extra, then yes :wink:

Yeah, what she said! :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby HappyChick » December 14th, 2009, 11:18 am

Thanks for all the info!!!! Yes, I realized at some point that staying on a strict diet is not going to be easy if we have to do it for food trials. Leni likes to sneak into the other dogs' food if she can get the chance. I decided if we have to do food trials, she will be in her crate when G and Wee eat.

We have an appointment at 3:15 today. Wish us luck!!!
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Pit♥bull » December 14th, 2009, 11:21 am

We feel your pain :goodthoughts: and good luck.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » December 14th, 2009, 3:11 pm

Good luck w/the appointment! :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby ArtGypsy » December 14th, 2009, 3:17 pm

yeah!!
Tell us How it goes!!
:dance:

**Santa-Came-To-Our_house.....**
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby hugapitbull » December 14th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Waiting to hear about the appoint. :anyMinute:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby amazincc » December 14th, 2009, 6:48 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Waiting to hear about the appoint. :anyMinute:

Ditto. >(

:wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby HappyChick » December 14th, 2009, 7:29 pm

We only got home about 20 minutes ago!

YAY!!!! It is not allergies (not yet anyway)!!! It's the early stages of Demodex and a secondary skin infection. So Celena is on antibiotics and Pyoben baths 2-3 times a week. We are avoiding using Ivermectin at this time because of her angry skin and because I did not want to use it if possible. Leni has her next appointment for booster shots on Christmas Eve and she will get a recheck of the skin and mange then. Whew! I feel like we dodged a bullet for now.

We walked to All Pets today and Leni did VERY WELL on her leash! She's a good pittie. :D

Thanks everybody!!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby amazincc » December 14th, 2009, 7:34 pm

HappyChick wrote: It's the early stages of Demodex and a secondary skin infection.

Just like Faust... but, considering, that is VERY good news!!! :clap: :D

And YAY! for good leash-walking... :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 14th, 2009, 8:48 pm

I just totally laughed with "Yay! It's mange!" That's just not something you hear everyday. lol I totally understand your excitement though and am cheering with you! It just made me giggle!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Brownies Mom » December 14th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Hot Diggity! :bounce: You must feel so relieved!
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » December 15th, 2009, 1:55 am

I'd be excited to find Demodex, too :| :wink:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » December 15th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Well, I'm relieved for you....and a little jealous :| :oops:

Hopefully this will be over in no time, and you won't have any recourrances. And, yea for walking nicely on the leash!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » December 15th, 2009, 2:21 pm

hugapitbull wrote:Well, I'm relieved for you....and a little jealous :| :oops:

Hopefully this will be over in no time, and you won't have any recourrances. And, yea for walking nicely on the leash!
X10 :D
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyChick » December 15th, 2009, 2:32 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I just totally laughed with "Yay! It's mange!" That's just not something you hear everyday. lol I totally understand your excitement though and am cheering with you! It just made me giggle!

Heehee!

hugapitbull wrote:Well, I'm relieved for you....and a little jealous :| :oops:

I understand after reading some of the allergy horror stories on here. That's why I'm happy it's only mange! Now I'm hoping and praying allergies don't develop later...after all she is still a pit bull and we could still have allergies or other skin issues to deal with.
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby HappyChick » January 7th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Well YEEHA! Not only are we dealing with mange and a secondary skin infection, now Miss Leni, Princess of Ward Street, has a yeast infection all over her! The good news just keeps a comin'! I'm taking matters into my own hands (for what that is worth). Actually, I sent an update to our holistic lady yesterday and that is how we figured out what is up with Leni now. We are going STRICTLY holistic with treatment starting last night. I had been using a combo of meds from the vet and holistic remedies including shampoo, essential oil blend, and supplements. The antibiotics have caused the yeast infection. She has brown spots all over her skin and smells like someone dipped her in a bag of Fritos corn chips. Last night we stopped the antibiotics (duh I know I always get a yeast infection when I take antibiotics but didn't think about it with her), and started the Princess on a natural antibiotic called colloidal silver. It is very safe and I've used it previously. No more Pyoben baths either.

We are continuing with the raw diet, natural shampoo, oil blend, and supplements. This is an experiment in Faith, but I'm happy to have an alternative to Western medicine. Don't get me wrong, I still love Dr. Blakeley, but my way of thinking about Western medicine is definitely changing for ME and my dogs.

Wish us luck!
Angie & crew

HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby hugapitbull » January 7th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Good luck, Angie. Poor little princess.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble

hugapitbull
The Better Half

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health