What exactly is a Pocket Pit?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby amazincc » December 14th, 2009, 7:14 pm

I saw one advertised on CL today... two pounds, 8 weeks old... :?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby furever_pit » December 14th, 2009, 7:57 pm

An itty bitty pitty?
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Miss_Pits » December 14th, 2009, 8:07 pm

A ploy for BYB to get more money? :bs:

(Nothing against actual pocket pitties - just to those who add adjectives to breeds to get a few extra bucks)
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Postby Pit♥bull » December 14th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » December 14th, 2009, 8:18 pm

I've always used the term for a smaller sized Pit Bull, kind of a bucket term. I generally use it for the 35-40 pounders.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » December 14th, 2009, 9:14 pm

So the weight is "normal"... 2 lbs. at 8 weeks old? Wow. :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » December 14th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Well, with the wide size ranges of Pit Bulls now I don't think there really is a 'normal' per se. :| I once met a litter of Pit Bull/Chi mixes. Believe it or not they were really even tempered little pups. They were pretty small.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Brownies Mom » December 14th, 2009, 9:24 pm

furever_pit wrote:An itty bitty pitty?

baw-haw! LMAO
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » December 14th, 2009, 10:51 pm

A small Pit Bull, some of Missy's Pit Bulls - the woman who owns Alaskan Dream Kennels - are under 30 pounds. People call those "Pocket Pits" but it's not a classification that is used by anyone who is really serious
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » December 15th, 2009, 2:12 am

and, this begs the question, (not that I want this), why not just get a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? :|

Just like American Bullies :rolleyes2: I'm SURE there is a type of mastiff out there that would be very similar, and still, people insist on making Hippopotamuses :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby amazincc » December 15th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Malli wrote:and, this begs the question, (not that I want this), why not just get a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? :|

Oh GAWD... I don't want to get her... no, no, nooooo! :shock: lol

I was just surprised at her weight and age, plus they bragged about her being very short-legged, wide, and having a HUGE head. She looks top-heavy, to say the least... like she could fall over any second because her head seems so big compared to her body. Like a watermelon on a tooth pick... :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby mnp13 » December 16th, 2009, 1:36 am

Malli wrote:and, this begs the question, (not that I want this), why not just get a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? :|

Just like American Bullies :rolleyes2: I'm SURE there is a type of mastiff out there that would be very similar, and still, people insist on making Hippopotamuses :rolleyes2:

I think what we call "pocket pits" are really just the ones that were on the small side of the standard. Not like trying to make tiny mutants.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » December 16th, 2009, 3:39 am

which standard are we talking about? APBT?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby LMM » December 16th, 2009, 9:13 am

Yea Junie is my itty bitty pocket pitty but it's just my nickname for her :D
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Return to Pit Bull Talk