Biggest Loser

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby furever_pit » December 14th, 2009, 7:48 pm

I am working on setting up a "Biggest Loser" type program for the canine clients at the vet clinic where I work. The majority of the dogs that we see are either obese or could stand to lose at least a few pounds and I'm trying to rally the troops (their owners) to action.

Right now I am planning on working with a small group of 5-10 dogs to start. The doctor, the owner, and I will come up with a realistic goal weight for the dog and work from there. I'm going to do 'before' and 'after' pictures of each pet and also want to put up a board in our waiting room to try and generate more interest. Prizes will be given to the owners who reach their goals. I am also trying to work out a weekly or bi-weekly meeting with the selected group so that we can do a weigh-in and also some kind of group meeting - I'm thinking here we can talk about conditioning techniques and whatever the owners are dealing with as they work their way through their pet's diet. Dylan and Gator will be brought in to demonstrate ideal body condition in puppy and adult dogs.

Is this something that would interest y'all if your vet clinic were doing something like this? Any suggestions for things I might want to add to the program? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby Miss_Pits » December 14th, 2009, 8:08 pm

lol my co-worker and I are started a Weight Watchers for K9s at our clinic this spring! Any tips would be great!
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 14th, 2009, 8:46 pm

What awesome ideas! If Inara were fat I think that would be fun!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Brownies Mom » December 14th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I heard that eDiets was a great support tool - what about something like that? Or how about adding a support web page to the clinic's website (if they have one)? You could really feature some winners there! You could also put in tips and stats, etc.

Good luck, it's a great cause and lots of pooches will be sending you smooches to thank you!
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » December 14th, 2009, 10:47 pm

That's a fantastic idea! Keep us posted on how it goes.....
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Stormy » December 14th, 2009, 11:35 pm

None of my dogs are fat, but if they were it would definitely be something I would be interested in.

Sidenote- my work had a biggest loser contest. Everyone put in $25 and the person who lost the most weight won. It was pretty fun, mostly b/c I won. :)
Mom to Delaney Jade- Pit Bull mix
Little Jack Slade of Okeechobee Hill -Yorkie/Poodle mix. Both were adopted!
Stormy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » December 15th, 2009, 8:18 am

I really like the idea of hooking this program up online at our clinic website. I will have to talk to my manager about that this week. Thanks!!

A few other things that have been brought up when discussing this plan:
- doing some kind of before/after questionnaire that includes questions about diet and exercise and how that correlates with behavior around the house
- presenting alternatives to the doggie treats (most of our clients use cheap-o grocery store bought treats) and educating people about the calories in popular pet treats

Thanks for the feedback y'all!
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby amazincc » December 15th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Are the dog owners of said "fat" dogs receptive to the idea?
I would imagine that no-one wants their obese dog to be called that, especially when it's true. :rolleyes2: lol

How did you guys approach them so they wouldn't get all insulted/offended?
I personally think it's a GREAT idea. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Brownies Mom » December 15th, 2009, 8:56 pm

Stormy wrote:None of my dogs are fat, but if they were it would definitely be something I would be interested in.

Sidenote- my work had a biggest loser contest. Everyone put in $25 and the person who lost the most weight won. It was pretty fun, mostly b/c I won. :)

You go Girl!!! :confetti: Losing weight is such a great feeling, isn't it? :dance:
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » December 15th, 2009, 9:09 pm

GREAT idea...I've got friends that work in vet clinics...they're always looking for new ideas...care if I share?
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby furever_pit » December 15th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Christine - A lot of it has to do with reading an owner. Some times the owner will make a comment about their dog's weight when I tell them how much the animal actually weighs and I will try to introduce the subject then. Some clients I am just very familiar with and can joke around with. It really just depends on the person and how I read them. Though I have already brought up my idea to a few clients who have obese or overweight dogs and have a waiting list up and running for when I get started. 8) :mrgreen:

TheRedQueen wrote:GREAT idea...I've got friends that work in vet clinics...they're always looking for new ideas...care if I share?

Sure, go ahead. Tell them to contact the food companies that they stock/recommend as well as some companies may be willing to supply free food samples and such.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby maberi » December 16th, 2009, 12:11 pm

This is a fantastic idea!! Be sure to update us on the progress and share some of the before and after photos
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Return to Pit Bull Talk