Dar's swollen chin...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Malli » December 13th, 2009, 7:05 am

you can use an unscented gentle soap to clean it gently a couple times a day, might help it heal, just make sure to rinse thuroughly but gently with warm water and dry well after.

If you notice him scratching at it with his hind legs he might need an e-collar or socks taped to his hind feet.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 13th, 2009, 9:38 am

One of the first things I thought of is to slather it with triple antibiotic ointment.... :|
(since he really can't lick it off too easily there).....

And no, I haven't seen him scratch it. It looks a lot like really bad razor rash some guys get on their necks....... :sad2:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby BigDogBuford » December 13th, 2009, 9:41 am

ArtGypsy wrote:One of the first things I thought of is to slather it with triple antibiotic ointment.... :|

And no, I haven't seen him scratch it. It looks a lot like really bad razor rash some guys get on their necks....... :sad2:

Be careful that you don't cause a secondary yeast infection by doing that. Clean and dry is the way to go.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby ArtGypsy » December 13th, 2009, 9:50 am

BigDogBuford wrote:
ArtGypsy wrote:One of the first things I thought of is to slather it with triple antibiotic ointment.... :|

Be careful that you don't cause a secondary yeast infection by doing that. Clean and dry is the way to go.

NOW SEE!!!
This is exactly why I love this forum so MUCH!!
I would have never thought of that, in any way shape or form. As a mom of 'kids' I just put on a little triple antibiotic on their 'stuff' and it usually heals quickly. *well, that and camphophenique, but that's a different story all together!))
thanks!!!!! :wave2:
ArtGypsy

Postby BigDogBuford » December 13th, 2009, 10:09 am

If it's contact dermatitis think of it more like acne than an infection.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » December 13th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Is it looking better today?
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby dlynne1123 » December 13th, 2009, 2:47 pm

If its contact dermatitis you could try triple but find something with cortisone to help with inflammation. Or use soap and water and use cortisone. Just look out for spreading. They can get secondary infections like staph or yeast if you over do it. If its not spreading just treat it symptomatically.

You could also boil the kongs and toys to disinfect, in between chews. The food we stuff in there can't be clean after a while! And yes, glass or stainless steel everything else. Hes a pitty after all and can be prone to allergies in the future so record this in his little journal so you'll remember down the road if it happens again!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » December 13th, 2009, 5:40 pm

if you use a cream instead of an ointment it will absorb and then leave the skin to breathe and be dry as well.

Keeping the skin free of moisture and dirt will make the spot less likely to Bacterial or Fungal Infection, so the ointment would be a bad idea because it doesn't absorb well, vs. a cream absorbs, and this is again why the soap and water and gently dry is a good idea, keeps any buildup from forming that could harbour infection ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ArtGypsy » December 13th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Thanks Guys!!!!!!
advice noted and taken!!
:D

We don't have a dishwasher, so I'm guessing really HOT sudsy water, rinse well, air dry??

He'll have his first dinner tonight in his own little stainless steel bowl.......

It looks less RED and blood tinged, but the 'nobules" :rolleyes2: are still there, as is the over all puffy-ness.

I really appreciate the insight........... :dance:
ArtGypsy

Postby Marinepits » December 13th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Stay away from ceramic bowls as well -- chips, cracks, and improperly sealed surfaces can also harbour bacteria.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health