NY Bans Gassing of Stray Pets

Postby Marinepits » November 6th, 2009, 8:07 am

From the ASPCA newsletter:
http://www.aspca.org/news/tri-state/11-06-09.html

Victory! NY Bans the Gassing of Stray Pets

An especially challenging political climate in the New York State Legislature has slowed the progress of a variety of pro-animal welfare bills this year. However, hard work by legislators, committee staff, the ASPCA and New York’s animal advocates brought the humane euthanasia bill (NY A. 999B) over the finish line!

Introduced in January, the bill sat dormant until the ASPCA, working closely with Assemblywoman Amy Paulin, Senator Suzi Oppenheimer and staff, helped revive it and secure passage in the Legislature in the fall. On October 9, it was signed into law by Governor Paterson.

The new law, which goes into effect in one year, will:

•Prohibit carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide poisoning (gassing) of stray and shelter animals (effective in 90 days).

•Require that the euthanasia of stray and shelter animals be performed by injection.

•Require that such euthanasia be performed by a certified euthanasia technician, licensed veterinarian, or licensed veterinary technician.

•Prohibit intracardiac euthanasia—a painful injection right into the heart—on unsedated shelter animals.

•Require that veterinarians who perform intracardiac euthanasia on unsedated animals not under the care of a shelter do so only if it is the most humane option and that they document the event and rationale.

“The ASPCA recognizes the necessity of humane euthanasia as a last-step option to spare animals further suffering,” says Debora Bresch, Esq., ASPCA Legislative Liaison to New York State. “We thank the bill’s sponsors, Assemblywoman Paulin and Senator Oppenheimer, for their tireless efforts to assure that animals receive humane treatment at the end of their lives, and look forward to the day when euthanasia of unwanted animals is an infrequent occurrence."

More details on the bill here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=999b
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby adoptanapbt » December 9th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Holy sh!t.... CA banned this over 10 years ago!!! :sad2:
Desdemona, CGC (FS APBT 5/05)
Aggie (aka Demonspawn), PITA (MN flame point Siamese/DSH 12/06)
Beanie, PITA in training (MN flame point Siamese/DSH 7/07)

http://www.merideprettyoneday.blogspot.com
adoptanapbt
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby iluvk9 » December 10th, 2009, 7:00 am

Sadly NY STILL did this....There was a town shelter on Long Island that did it until 3 years ago. We held protests and then they changed their procedures. I don't think half the people understood the difference and the cruelty involved with gassing. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » December 10th, 2009, 8:12 am

iluvk9 wrote: I don't think half the people understood the difference and the cruelty involved with gassing. :(

Most people have no clue how cruel gassing is. I'm glad to see NY finally outlaw it.
airwalk
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » December 10th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Diana, I think most people just assumed dogs are always "humanely" PTS. When I heard about a specific town shelter that was using gas, I even spoke with volunteers there. THEY didn't even realize how cruel it was.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby kera09 » December 10th, 2009, 2:00 pm

thank god they changed this!! ava came from ohio @ just 5 months and was going to be gassed! it makes me sick!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby airwalk » December 10th, 2009, 2:06 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Diana, I think most people just assumed dogs are always "humanely" PTS. When I heard about a specific town shelter that was using gas, I even spoke with volunteers there. THEY didn't even realize how cruel it was.

Yep everyone outside of dog folk think they just "go to sleep". I sincerly hope most never have to witness an actual euthanasia..even the injectable.
airwalk
I live here

Return to Rescue