Stiffness

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 6:31 pm

Summer is older, around 10. I have her on syn flex, which has been doing wonders for every day activities. I do notice though that if she has a hard play day or something she really really stiff. Is there anything else I can give her for those days? She loves to play and she plays hard, so I don't want to take that from her, but I don't want her to be sore either. :|
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2006, 6:37 pm

Is she on any anti-inflammatory such as Rimadyl or Deramaxx?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 6:41 pm

No, she's not. I've only "officially" adopted her since March. I should probably take her in, I just hate having her on a ton of different meds. She's on DES too for incontenance (sp?)
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2006, 7:00 pm

Our Kate is on several different meds for her arthritis and stiffness -- she's about 12 years old.

She has been on Cosequin, but we're switching her over to the Syn Flex as soon as the bottle arrives.

Kate was on Rimadyl first, but it didn't help at all so we switched up to Deramaxx. That stopped working after a while, so now we're using Metacam.

Definitely take her in to the vet -- if she has mild arthritis/stiffness, a bit of Rimadyl may help.

One of the counters in my kitchen looks like doggy pharmacy land, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:03 pm

LOL I could imagine. The synflex does work great for everyday stuff, but Summer is very intense when she plays and puts all her energy into it. To watch her, you wouldn't know she was 10.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2006, 7:06 pm

That's how Katy is, too. Of course, we have to help her walk the day after a mega-play session, but I can't deny her the fun when she feels good. It's so hard watching them get older. We've had her since she was about 9 months old. :(

Kate is on two meds, Mac is on 4 right now (not including his allergy shots), and the other two are on one med a piece. I have a chart on the fridge just to keep everyone's meds straight, LOL!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:09 pm

wow, I guess I won't complain then. :wink:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » May 2nd, 2006, 7:16 pm

Rimadyl worked great for my GSD's. They were like pups on it!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:20 pm

Now what if she isn't stiff and sore all the time?
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » May 2nd, 2006, 7:37 pm

you can increase the synflex too, thats what i do with my 11 year old when he gets really stiff, i give him an extra dose..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:44 pm

That's a good idea, maybe I'll give her a double dose tonight
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Purple » May 2nd, 2006, 7:46 pm

When my GSD's were on the Rimadyl, they only got it on a as needed basis only. It was not an everyday thing!
Purple
I live here

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:55 pm

Purple wrote:When my GSD's were on the Rimadyl, they only got it on a as needed basis only. It was not an everyday thing!

Oh, that makes me feel better. I would like something for an as needed basis. Hmm, she goes in this month anyway, I'll have to talk to her doctor
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2006, 7:59 pm

Jesseca wrote:
Purple wrote:When my GSD's were on the Rimadyl, they only got it on a as needed basis only. It was not an everyday thing!

Oh, that makes me feel better. I would like something for an as needed basis. Hmm, she goes in this month anyway, I'll have to talk to her doctor

That's what Katy started on, about two years ago, and her arthritis just progressed to the point where she needs it every day now.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jesseca » May 3rd, 2006, 12:23 am

I could see that happening too with her as she gets older. I guess we'll see. Now if I can figure out the snoring :rolleyes2:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health