Puppies on their backs...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 6:22 pm

:rolleyes2:

I understand the concept of laying a dog or puppy on it's back...but my babies are only just going to be 5 weeks tomorrow!!
Some gal inquiring about the puppies and wanting to adopt one was asking if they freaked out on their backs, what they did when we lay them on their backs, etc.
What's you guys' opinion on that? It rather offended me the way she asked...like "Do they get fearful if you lay them on their backs".
I told her that I have personally held each one every day since they were born...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 2nd, 2006, 6:25 pm

Is she thinking about alpha-rolling 5 week old pups???
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 6:28 pm

She asked "what do they do when you lay them on their backs, do they get fearful or freak out, (etc)" She asked, specifically, holding them and "stroking their tummies".
I told her, it depends on how we lay them on their backs. The kids like holding them "like a baby" and it frustrates the puppies. I allow them to relax, and gradually get them into that "baby" position (on their backs) and just pet them and let them relax.
In one pic, Ashley is holding Jabari on his back and did for an extended time and he just chilled there! It was kind of cool.
But - of what significance is freaking out, or lack thereof, at FIVE weeks old??
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » May 2nd, 2006, 6:29 pm

Ummm....hmmmm....

When a dog exposes it's belly, it is submitting. From the time I bring a puppy home (8 weeks old) I do a thing I call "be a baby." I hold the dog, on it's back, in my arms (the way you would hold a baby). I then talk to it gently, and touch every part of it's body, check it's privates, check it's ears, check it's mouth. This shows the dog I'm in charge, and it gets the dog used to allowing me to check it's body. The act turns positive because of the touching, and because I'm not doing it in a threatening way.

I have heard many people say that the way to check the temperament of a puppy is to hold it on it's back to see how it reacts. I have personally never done this before getting a puppy, and both my dogs seem to have great temperaments....

I think being around the puppies every day, holding them, etc is a better test of the temperament...but that's just me :|
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 6:38 pm

I have heard many people say that the way to check the temperament of a puppy is to hold it on it's back to see how it reacts. I have personally never done this before getting a puppy, and both my dogs seem to have great temperaments....

I think that's what she's getting at too but I feel like, a baby BABY is going to be able to be worked with like you do yours, and it'll be fine.
We hold ours "like a baby" too and they don't freak but it's all in how you approach it. If you grab one and just flip it over it WILL freak out, any of them will. But if you assist the puppy in being in that position, slowly, they tolerate it much better... :|
I think I have a problem with people holding that as a "gold standard" as to what you judge a puppy being a "good dog" by...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby babyreba » May 2nd, 2006, 7:18 pm

yvette, i wouldn't be too upset about it, though it is a clueless question . . . i think it's one of those things that people read about on a web site or at a shelter and they take it as some kind of gospel. like "a good puppy will have black spots in its mouth."

it's the equivalent of looking under the hood of a car and nodding and kicking the tires when you know nothing about cars.

she was probably told at some point her in life that a "good" puppy will be the one that doesn't struggle to get away when you turn it on its back or roll it over. she probably has no clue that there are lots of things that dogs do that don't fit the old-school thoughts on what makes a good family dog.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 7:21 pm

The stupidest thing is that she's a Doberman breeder...her bitch died of heart failure a while back and she wants Jazzi...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 2nd, 2006, 7:52 pm

ALL puppies wiggle & struggle when they are on their backs........don't they? They are just trying to right themselves. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2006, 7:54 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:ALL puppies wiggle & struggle when they are on their backs........don't they? They are just trying to right themselves. :|

Kinda like Weebles. :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:58 pm

Marinepits wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:ALL puppies wiggle & struggle when they are on their backs........don't they? They are just trying to right themselves. :|

Weebles wobble but the don't fall down. :D (sorry I couldn't help myself)
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jesseca » May 2nd, 2006, 7:59 pm

msvette2u wrote:The stupidest thing is that she's a Doberman breeder...her bitch died of heart failure a while back and she wants Jazzi...

Is this the same lady that we talked about before or someone new? She knows Jazzi will be spayed first right?
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2006, 8:00 pm

Jesseca wrote:
Marinepits wrote:

Weebles wobble but the don't fall down. :D (sorry I couldn't help myself)

That damn song is going to be stuck in my head now, LOL!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 8:03 pm

Jesseca wrote:
msvette2u wrote:The stupidest thing is that she's a Doberman breeder...her bitch died of heart failure a while back and she wants Jazzi...

Is this the same lady that we talked about before or someone new? She knows Jazzi will be spayed first right?

This is a gal in N. Calif. Not the 1st person to inquire about Jazzi, she's the second one to inquire. I don't think she's interested in breeding. I told her today that I wasn't going to be the one making the decisions on placement of the puppies, that's Kaye's and Christa's specialty...

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down ---- I sing Copper that song all the time because he's so "wobbly" in the car (when we take off fast - roflmao)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » May 2nd, 2006, 9:39 pm

msvette2u wrote::rolleyes2:

I understand the concept of laying a dog or puppy on it's back...but my babies are only just going to be 5 weeks tomorrow!!
Some gal inquiring about the puppies and wanting to adopt one was asking if they freaked out on their backs, what they did when we lay them on their backs, etc.
What's you guys' opinion on that? It rather offended me the way she asked...like "Do they get fearful if you lay them on their backs".
I told her that I have personally held each one every day since they were born...

This is kind a early temperament test,but IMO it should be done arround 10 weeks,not 5 weeks.And not just turn them on the floor,they have to be in your arms,like a baby and just see what their reaction is.A good temperamented pup would just lay and let you pet him,a stronger headed well we know what they do :wink: At least that's how I saw it.I think it's very helpful to know ,cause you know what kind of owner you have to choose for the pup.Hope it helps.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby a-bull » May 2nd, 2006, 9:55 pm

Yes, she's probably refering to something of this sort:

http://www.pbrc.net/temperament.html
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 10:08 pm

a-bull wrote:Yes, she's probably refering to something of this sort:

http://www.pbrc.net/temperament.html

Very nice chart, thank you!! I agree though that 5 weeks is a bit early to try too much with it...but this is a great chart to keep on hand in a few weeks!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 2nd, 2006, 10:14 pm

Yeah, it's a good guideline---it's just that I've seen soo many pups/dogs that would have been pts based upon those charts turn out to be wonderful pets---and on the other hand, seemingly docile pups turn into hellions---but it is a good guideline. :)
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 10:38 pm

Well OK...so I laid Jabari on his back and he likes it but if I move my hand to his neck he growls as if in play. Plus there's something to be said for "playful mood" v. mellow/hold me mood?? But he's the most playful too...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby a-bull » May 2nd, 2006, 10:40 pm

I just kind of use it as potential personality guideline---to know what you may be working with and to help with training---but nothing is steadfast.
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 2nd, 2006, 10:43 pm

That makes sense. I think the thing that bugged me about her asking like she did, was, like you were saying, it only is a guideline, and to give ideas on how to work with that dog or the type owner it ought to have. It isn't to be used as an indicator of a "good v. bad" dog...especially not in a barely-5-wk. old baby...??
For a past breeder of Dobies, it seemed like a dorky question to me :|
msvette2u
I live here

Next

Return to Training & Behavior