Looking-To-Be-Chronic Staph Infections

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BullyLady » December 5th, 2009, 4:22 am

Well, Shelby is now on antibiotics for her second staph infection, the first was in mid September. I saw this one coming though, a small irritated spot on the inside of her hind leg. I tried using an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal topical product I have (I think it's called Gentizol?) but to no avail. She has been bright pink on all her soft spots since going off raw, and itchy itchy itchy. After the hematoma and staph infection and godawful round of Pred in Sept and now this infection again, we are back on raw. Ick ick ick, but I would bet money that this clears it right up.

*sigh* I don't WANNA! Good thing I love this dog..... :nono:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » December 5th, 2009, 5:32 am

welcome to the club. Membership includes more and longer rounds of cephalexin then I can remember, I think the number must be up in the 30's(as in, been on it at least 30 times) for Oscar.

It's frustrating and uncomfortable but at the same time, it could be a lot worse, too, you know?

We've been dealing with skin infections for almost 8 years at this point, my thoughts are : as long as he's not rediculously itchy, I can deal with a few bald spots (he gets them from little localized infections) that do come up. I am happy he's a brindle though, hides it well! :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 5th, 2009, 12:04 pm

You need to look into more of what is causing them then just treating them IMO. It could be environmental allergies, food allergies and or another autoimmune issue. You may want to seek out the help of a dermatologist! Skin issues can be quite frustrating.

I hope things get better asap!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby blabsforbullies » December 5th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Patch O' Pits wrote:You need to look into more of what is causing them then just treating them IMO. It could be environmental allergies, food allergies and or another autoimmune issue. You may want to seek out the help of a dermatologist! Skin issues can be quite frustrating.

:bowDown: AMEN, SISTER! :bowDown:

Honestly, some of us say that there are some dogs that just have a Cephalexin deficiency... we are joking of course. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Malli » December 5th, 2009, 3:01 pm

and you know what? Sometimes you can't find a cause, either :neutral:

Which, though we haven't done all the testing, is where we're at with Oscar - my Vet calls our treatment strategy "putting out fires" :rolleyes2:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » December 5th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Malli wrote:Which, though we haven't done all the testing, is where we're at with Oscar - my Vet calls our treatment strategy "putting out fires" :rolleyes2:

I call it band aids! :prescription:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Pit♥bull » December 5th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Malli wrote:"putting out fires" :rolleyes2:

blabsforbullies wrote:I call it band aids! :prescription:
I call it expensive :nono:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » December 5th, 2009, 5:38 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:.....some dogs that just have a Cephalexin deficiency.....

Mac has wiped out Dr Blab's cephalexin supply more than once, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BullyLady » December 5th, 2009, 6:22 pm

blabsforbullies wrote:
Patch O' Pits wrote:You need to look into more of what is causing them then just treating them IMO. It could be environmental allergies, food allergies and or another autoimmune issue. You may want to seek out the help of a dermatologist! Skin issues can be quite frustrating.

:bowDown: AMEN, SISTER! :bowDown:

Honestly, some of us say that there are some dogs that just have a Cephalexin deficiency... we are joking of course. :wink:

Well, I'm pretty sure that's what we are doing by going back to a raw diet. The infections and pinkness and itchiness started about a week after she went onto kibble. I waited it out this long to see if it was seasonal, we got our first snow about two weeks ago and a week later another staph infection popped up. So, back to raw we go, stopping the infections at their source, I'm almost sure of it. I will update after a month of being back on raw, but I'm sure this is the answer.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Patch O' Pits » December 6th, 2009, 12:53 am

I hope that the RAW is the answer! That would simplify it. Keep us posted.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Malli » December 6th, 2009, 3:33 am

blabsforbullies wrote:
Malli wrote:Which, though we haven't done all the testing, is where we're at with Oscar - my Vet calls our treatment strategy "putting out fires" :rolleyes2:

I call it band aids! :prescription:

better then a kick in the pants though, eh?
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health