Advanced Beginner

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby mnp13 » December 2nd, 2009, 6:07 pm

For those of you who have taught advanced beginner classes, what do you normally cover over the course of the 8 week class? What do you generally teach week 1, 2, 3...

Do you give hand outs? Like what? Where do you get them?

What's your general philosophy? Marker training? Corrections, but mostly flat collars and "positive" - backing up while pulling the dog towards you with small tugs to keep them moving (I don't know how to explain it better)? Do you allow choke chains? Prong collars?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Leslie H » December 2nd, 2009, 9:55 pm

I'm not teaching nuthin', but I dropped in on an Advanced beg OB class a couple weeks ago (because I screwed up the schedule and missed the drop in agility, and I know and like the OB instructor).
It was all flat collars I think. The focus was distractions. We did loose leash walking serpentining the other seated dogs, who were working on focus. Then the instructor brought out a tennis ball she bounced, some big stuffed toys, a stroller, and a creepy battery operated, crying, crawling, baby doll. We worked on flip finishes. Then we did recalls, w/little bits of distraction, except for Soleil, who had to recall to me, rather than the food dish w/treats in it about 8 feet to my right. She veered, but given a verbal correction, came to front w/out tasting.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby Miss_Pits » December 3rd, 2009, 12:20 pm

When teaching our classes we do offer many hand-outs the first week. They are all written by Sherri or borrowed, with premission, from other trainers. The hand-outs cover nutrition( calculation caloric needs and how to choose a quality food), excerice, NILF, problem solving, recall, clicker charging and a couple of others. If you are interested in reading any of them, they are on our website: www.tailsofsuccessny.com under printable library.

We practice some targeting, loose leash walking, down/stay, recall and we like to focus a week or 2 on specific questions our students have or problems they're trying to solve.

We teach on a 100% positive re-enforcement - based on behavioral science. We don't ofter do corrections, but rather teach the dogs to make the right decision and reward them when they do.

We do NOT use choke chains or prong collars in the classes.
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » December 3rd, 2009, 7:59 pm

Miss_Pits wrote:When teaching our classes we do offer many hand-outs the first week. They are all written by Sherri or borrowed, with premission, from other trainers. The hand-outs cover nutrition( calculation caloric needs and how to choose a quality food), excerice, NILF, problem solving, recall, clicker charging and a couple of others. If you are interested in reading any of them, they are on our website: http://www.tailsofsuccessny.com under printable library.

We practice some targeting, loose leash walking, down/stay, recall and we like to focus a week or 2 on specific questions our students have or problems they're trying to solve.

We teach on a 100% positive re-enforcement - based on behavioral science. We don't ofter do corrections, but rather teach the dogs to make the right decision and reward them when they do.

We do NOT use choke chains or prong collars in the classes.

Great articles! Nice website!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Miss_Pits » December 3rd, 2009, 10:01 pm

:mrgreen: Thanks!!! We'll be working with Pitty Love Rescue to get the adoptables their CGC :helloClap:
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior