What Do I Do With This?

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby furever_pit » December 1st, 2009, 11:59 am

So I saved the turkey neck and gizzards from Thanksgiving and they are currently sitting in my freezer. I would like to give it to the dogs but need to figure out what to do with it. My dogs are not fed raw and are not used to organ meat so I think I need to do something with them so that it's not as likely to fill my house with diarrhea dogs. LOL. Any ideas on how to prepare my own treats with organs?

What about the turkey neck?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » December 1st, 2009, 12:37 pm

Short of the liver, I don't think gizzards and neck will cause much of a problem. You could hack the neck in half if you don't think they'd swallow it hole. Gizzards are like tough muscle - no oily organ meat properties. Just chuck them out as a snack. Yumm.
Ruby Underfoot, CGC
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby kera09 » December 1st, 2009, 1:43 pm

make sure to not feed the kibble close to the necks, if you feed them raw. Do one for breakfast one for dinner. kibble and raw digest differently.
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » December 1st, 2009, 3:02 pm

If you cut the liver into small pieces and give them a little over the course of a few meals it will probably be fine.

I wouldn't worry much about the other stuff, just give it to them :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SvcDogSawyer » December 1st, 2009, 4:13 pm

If you want to keep them busy for awhile, you could chop it up into chunks put it all into a pot and cook it just long enough for the water to get the flavor of the turkey bits. Let it cool then seperate into bowls for each dog then freeze then freeze it. Once frozen pop it out of the bowls and you have pupsicles. If you have freezer space and a bunch of small cups/bowls, you could make pupsicles to give them whenever.

I don't know if the neck should be cooked or left raw, but I'm sure some else can tell you.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby dlynne1123 » December 1st, 2009, 7:20 pm

Yeah, my dogs love frozen goodies, and it lasts a little longer for them. Otherwise, good treat in the crate or cleanable place!
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby furever_pit » December 1st, 2009, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I'll probably just surprise them with some goodies in their meal after training this weekend.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk