Goodbye Good Girl

Postby Jenny » December 1st, 2009, 1:56 am

Bridgette came to us in May 09. We had a call from Sheriff's 911 dispatch about a Pit Bull out at Armitage Bridge area (BOONIES party/camping spot by the canal). Said Pit was injured and "grumpy" nobody could catch her.They could not get the DCO to go out and would we please go? I said of course we would! after I reminded them thats what the DCO got paid to do. Well, they know I love the pits.. we went.

Took Lori and her husband Butch since it was almost midnight and I had no idea where this place was anyway? and to be safe. We got there and some people who called 911 took us down the trail to where the dog (Bridgette) was hanging out with some campers. She had a nasty abscessed gash on her neck from what we later determined was a embedded chain. Her neck was black where a chain had probably rubbed it for months on end. Bridgette was very leary of everyone but let Butch give her a biscut and he scooped her up and carried to her the car. Her tail was doing a slow wag the whole way in relief, like she was saying thank goodness someone I can trust, he helped me and isn't afraid of me. Got her to the vet right then and back home in a warm bed. She was never any trouble. Thought kitties were for chasing but loved everyone she met.

So now its the last day of November, Bridgette had seizures this past Sat and Sun night. Horrible, scary seizures on Sunday that left her disoriented and confused for several hours afterward. The one on Saturday night I thought was her having a tantrum wanting to go out and chase a kitty on the porch or something.. on Sunday night I went from fearing she was poisoned to thinking she had rabies..she was pretty fine in the morning.. I could see she was not herself even though she ate, drank and walked our walk like we always did. Something in her eyes was not right and her gums and whites of her eyes were very red. We went to the vet today, Monday. I think I already knew how it was going to go.

Bridgey as I liked to call her, did not come home with me.

They all loved her at the vet too, she was a model citizen.

She was a good girl even when the old German Shepard from hell on the ten foot long line her idiot owner brought her in on tried to jump her in the waiting room, lol.

Our vet was fairly certain without the tests and because of her young age and symptoms she was epileptic. She had some small tremors in the exam room from the excitement of being there. ...

It was going to cost a heck of a lot of money for blood testing to see if she could even take phenobarb and then because of the severity of the seizures and the after affects of the seizures she would probably need another med in addition that was even more expensive as well and this would go on for her entire life. We have had her since May and only one prospect of a decent home for her but they had a indoor cat which she would have killed probably.

So long story short I had to think long and hard today about best practices and justifying being a hero for her and what would her quality of life be, how would we continue to pay for the meds, what other dogs would go without help because of her expenses, etc, etc? Not to mention how hard it is to adopt out even a perfect pit much less one that comes with a big medical bill every month. I pretty much knew before we went in how it would end.

We have eight other adoptable animals scheduled for vetting and procedures in the next two weeks and a small budget for all of it. We have to think of them too. These are they days I wish didn't happen for sure. It sucked.

I hate that money or lack of it cost her a chance at life. I hate that people who should know better would think that money is wasted on a Pit Bull. I hate to think that nobody but us and the VFW in Seneca Falls cared about what happened to her. The VFW helped us pay off her vet bill from her injury. Those guys didn't care if she was a Pit Bull or she was purple with two heads! They cared that she suffered and we needed some help in helping her. I love those VFW guys. I'm gonna hate to tell them what happened.

I hate that I had to make the decision.

She had some very good months with us and never had to wear a chain again. She was in loving and understanding hands when she left us today. People at the vets didn't know her very well but they truly cared about her and understood. It made it a little bit easier.

Bridgette would run the property as fast as she could and show off for us while making her "freight train sounds" with a big silly grin on her face as she flew by.

My boyfriend Steve said she was a Jack Russell in a Pit Bull body, she was wound kinda tight! Very funny girl.

I sure am going to miss Bridgette. She was a very good girl.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenny » December 1st, 2009, 2:09 am

Here she is.. pretty girl. Find Jacob and give him a tumble!

"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » December 1st, 2009, 6:14 am

What a heartbreaking story. She had some loving months with you, and that is what matters. She found a friend and a good home for her short lifetime.

I don't know if you've ever known anyone who has a dog with a history of violent seizures, but often the medication can't truly manage the condition, and months later they still must be allowed to leave peacefully. You made the right choice, as hard as it is and as unfair as it seems. ((Hugs))

RIP sweet Bridgette. Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » December 1st, 2009, 6:15 am

R.I.P. Bridgette :(

rainbow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » December 1st, 2009, 7:40 am

Good bye Bridgette. :( I am so glad the last part of her life was spent being a Princess, with you.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » December 1st, 2009, 7:57 am

RIP Bridgette...I'm glad you knew love and comfort before you died. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » December 1st, 2009, 11:00 am

RIP Beautiful Bridgette :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby kera09 » December 1st, 2009, 11:14 am

RIP sweeat girl :(
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby HappyChick » December 1st, 2009, 11:16 am

What a bittersweet story. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that Bridgette knew true love and caring in her life because of you.

RIP dear Bridgette.
Angie & crew

http://www.epitome-dog-rescue.org

My beloved Vincenzo 07/22/05 - 11/16/09 forever in my heart. Cancer sucks.
HappyChick
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » December 1st, 2009, 11:51 am

:hug3: I'm sorry

RIP Bridgette :(
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » December 1st, 2009, 2:50 pm

Awww, Jenny. I am so sorry. Thanks for giving her a good life for the time that she had.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby amazincc » December 1st, 2009, 3:09 pm

I am so sorry, Jenny... :sad2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Brownies Mom » December 1st, 2009, 5:05 pm

Jenny wrote: Her tail was doing a slow wag the whole way in relief, like she was saying thank goodness someone I can trust, he helped me and isn't afraid of me.

...and back home in a warm bed.

She was never any trouble. Thought kitties were for chasing but loved everyone she met.

...she ate, drank and walked our walk like we always did.

They all loved her at the vet too, she was a model citizen.

She had some very good months with us and never had to wear a chain again. She was in loving and understanding hands when she left us today. People at the vets didn't know her very well but they truly cared about her and understood. It made it a little bit easier.

Bridgette would run the property as fast as she could and show off for us while making her "freight train sounds" with a big silly grin on her face as she flew by.

She was a very good girl.

I'm so sorry. I know how horrible you must be feeling right now, but when I read her story, I kept thinking how lucky she was to find you. Her story sounds like every unrescued dog's dream, doesn't it? :dance: What a great gift you gave her - love, a home, no chains, appreciation, respect, safety, care and a warm bed. :loveU: Surely God sent her to you so that she would have someone who cared enough about her to make the decision to not let her suffer. She went from doggie heaven-on-earth, to doggie heaven - no awful times in between. All creatures are made whole again at the Bridge, so no more scary seizures or feeling ill. What a beautiful girl she was.

Run Free, Sweet Bridgey
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » December 1st, 2009, 10:09 pm

RIP Sweet girl :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby cheekymunkee » December 2nd, 2009, 2:26 am

I'm so sorry :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby TinaMartin » December 2nd, 2009, 10:12 am

Thank you for giving this girl a happy place to be. RIP sweet girl.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Return to Our Departed Friends