Table Scraps

Postby pitsnok » November 25th, 2009, 1:55 am

I don't know about everyone else, but our dogs do NOT get table scraps... and it is so irritating when people come over and try to give our dogs people food! We just don't want our dogs to be beggers... well, we don't want them to beg any more than they already do anyway. Plus it's not good for their health to be eating chicken nuggets and potato chips!
does anyone else have this problem? It is so annoying, but I don't quite know how to go about correcting friends and family who think it's okay!
~Brittany, Degan and Harlow's mom

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » November 25th, 2009, 8:15 am

I give Inara table scraps, but only when she's lying down nicely and not begging. When I visit my mom and step-dad's house I have to watch my step-dad - he has a tendency to "drop" lots of goodies "accidentally" on the floor with Inara. Needless to say, she thinks he walks on water. I don't care that much - I only had to read him the riot act once when he was starting to give her a grape. So now he sticks to chips, crackers, pretzels, pastry, etc. :giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » November 25th, 2009, 9:46 am

I think begging is a training problem, not a table scrap giving problem. ;) I know MANY dogs that are never given anything but dry kibble, yet blow huge drool bubbles and stare at me when I eat in front of them. :wink:

My guys are allowed all of my scraps, which is handy since I have no garbage disposal (septic system)...so they clear the plates after dinner. What they can't eat for some reason...goes to the pet rats (who eat anything not nailed down). Sometimes they get the leftovers mixed in with their dinner as a treat (like last night they ate my leftover greek-style scrambled eggs mixed into their kibble)...and sometimes they just lick it off the plates, or get stuff tossed to them. The main rule is that everyone has to behave, sits, downs, no pushing, etc.

But I also often reward good behavior with food off of my plate as I'm eating...so I can capture it at that moment. 8)

If you don't want people to feed them, you'll have to manage the situation (removing dogs when you're all eating...) or train the humans better... 8) I personally don't think an occasional piece of junk food is gonna hurt...lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby ArtGypsy » November 25th, 2009, 10:42 am

As far as "table scraps" goes,,,,,,,,,I give mine anything that isn't chocked full of salt..**Like I wouldn't let them eat the last of Cole's uneaten Cambell's chicken noodle soup, for example", or a ton of canned ravioli.... :puke:

but Meat, Veggies, or a plop of sweet potatoes?? :| SURE, I let them---but they CANNOT sit there and whine. If they wait NICELY and patiently, then I go scrape the rest into their bowls.

Plus, I actually COOK up 'table food for them", and feed them once a day------------boned chicken thighs mixed in with a little whole grain brown rice, 1 tablespoon of pumpkin and a fish oil capsule.
so, technically, I guess that's SCHEDULED table scraps, LOL......
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby amazincc » November 25th, 2009, 1:20 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:boned chicken thighs mixed in with a little whole grain brown rice, 1 tablespoon of pumpkin and a fish oil capsule.

You mean de-boned, right??? :wink:

Mine get scraps/left-overs once in a while, but only when they don't actively beg for them, especially while I'm eating. Neither one is ever allowed to get pushy over my plate.
Sepp will lay on the floor close to me, w/his back turned, and pretend he doesn't notice the food at all. He'll occasionally glance in my direction and hope for the best. lol
Faust will lay very close to me (sometimes on my feet), give me the famous puppy eyes, and often sigh very heavily several times. :giggle:

When my Mom and brother were here the dogs had to keep several feet of distance between themselves and everyone eating... even though my Mom started to get just as "clumsy" as Lizs' step-dad. :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Ino » November 25th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Ino gets hooked up with table scraps also. I could not initiate a no-scrap policy with him because it would not be fair since the cats get them :|. He just sits next to me and drools when he wants what I have- the cats, however are a different story. They will be up in your face trying to swipe food off your fork as you are lifting it from plate to mouth :rolleyes2: . They used to be worse, but usually if I throw them some- they do not rush my plate anymore. I did not create those lil monsters though....they came to me that way (the small apt complex dumpster was their primary food source before I took them in). Atleast Ino doesn't jump or actively beg- he is pretty passive about it (slobbering and sniffing the air is as far as it goes- and he usually sits or lays down near me). Also, if I am eating something that is not dog/cat safe, I bring their treats, biscuits or some kibble to the table and hook them up with that. They don't seem to mind unless I have chicken and give them biscuits....then it is on :devil: !!!!
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SvcDogSawyer » November 25th, 2009, 3:32 pm

I was originally trained not to ever allow my Service dog Charlie table scraps. Their reasoning was that he would then beg in a restuarant. I've since learned that they were feeding me a load of crap. :yum: My dad would not listen no matter what I said or how I said it, he would still feed Charlie
from the table and he never once begged while we were out.

With Sawyer, I feed him scraps all the time and he never begs when we're eating out. At home, if he begs we just tell him to go lay down and he does. If I'm snacking, he's usually laying next to me on the couch pretending to be asleep. I'll sometimes toss one to him or I'll miss my mouth and he moves quicker than me, so he gets it first. He's learned that if I drop it it's fair game.

All the other dogs won't beg until they hear me putting dishes in the dishwasher, then they'll come running to help clean plates.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby Miss_Pits » November 25th, 2009, 4:51 pm

If we're eating a healthy dinner, we always share with the crew! But of course there are rules that need to be followed (read: no begging).

Maybe you could offer your guests to give them treats before and/or after the meal :|
Amanda

Dogs are miracles with paws.
Miss_Pits
Just Whelped

Postby ArtGypsy » November 25th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Hey...........I just read through this again and thought of something.....I addressed only part of the issue..(whether or not I think it's okay to give scraps and the 'definition' of good scraps)..

but to me, there's another issue----------and each person may address it differently, depending on WHO the guests are, how often they come visit, etc., but truthfully, I would be TICKED >( if I asked anyone NOT to feed my dogs, my cats, MY KIDS, __for any reason_......and they KEPT ON....doing it anyway, in front of me, or behind my back.

I'm not saying I"d go all ballistic on 'em......(not in the beginning, anyway) :wink:
but if I explain why they can't>> diet, diarrhea, training,etc., then my wishes come first---This is OUR house, our Home. Guests Are Totally Optional. My 'family" is Not.

End of Story.
:neutral:
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Ino » November 25th, 2009, 11:33 pm

ArtGypsy wrote:Hey...........I just read through this again and thought of something.....I addressed only part of the issue..(whether or not I think it's okay to give scraps and the 'definition' of good scraps)..

but to me, there's another issue----------and each person may address it differently, depending on WHO the guests are, how often they come visit, etc., but truthfully, I would be TICKED >( if I asked anyone NOT to feed my dogs, my cats, MY KIDS, __for any reason_......and they KEPT ON....doing it anyway, in front of me, or behind my back.

I'm not saying I"d go all ballistic on 'em......(not in the beginning, anyway) :wink:
but if I explain why they can't>> diet, diarrhea, training,etc., then my wishes come first---This is OUR house, our Home. Guests Are Totally Optional. My 'family" is Not.

End of Story.
:neutral:

I agree 100% with that side of it. I know my landlord does not give any table food to her dog because she said her last one became a horrible beggar. I could go on all day about reasons I would love to go against her wishes, but the reality is that she is not my dog and me feeding her on the side might make things worse between them. Ino's sister is not allowed to get table food and is not allowed up on furniture- but my thoughts is that if that is what is needed training wise to keep a strong bond between her and her human, then I respect that. I do not mind Ino up on my furniture or eating people food next to me but some people have different wishes and expectations of their companions and I can understand that.
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Vertigo » November 28th, 2009, 5:04 pm

pitsnok wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but our dogs do NOT get table scraps... and it is so irritating when people come over and try to give our dogs people food! We just don't want our dogs to be beggers... well, we don't want them to beg any more than they already do anyway. Plus it's not good for their health to be eating chicken nuggets and potato chips!
does anyone else have this problem? It is so annoying, but I don't quite know how to go about correcting friends and family who think it's okay!

You have a two part issue here:

"Begging" - Sounds like you have that covered.

"t's not good for their health to be eating chicken nuggets and potato chips" - What about your health?

Try changing your diet. We do chicken and rice with some sides of veggies. If you get full don't throw it down the disposal. Make your dog sit, and stay until you scrape the plates in to his bowl, make him do another trick form a stay then release and let him get some food. Montgomery is a fant of pork chop night and Porterhouses are his fav.

I don't feed my dog anything I wouldn't eat.
alex gilman
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitsnok » November 29th, 2009, 8:28 pm

I actually don't ever eat chicken nuggets and potato chips, but people we have over do.
I have had friends feed them buttery popcorn, mashed potatoes, and french fries. It's things like that they bother me. If it's a piece of chicken, or ham or something similar I usually won't really mind. We give them chicken, and sometimes green beans if they have an upset stomach. We used to crack an egg over Degan's food but stopped when we got Harlow because she has a really sensitive stomach.
I think I phrased my first post incorrectly--I really was curious about how you guys might tell someone--without seeming rude--not to feed table scraps. My boyfriend's mom is the worst about it. She knows they don't eat people food, and she will sneak it to them if we are at her house, or if she is at ours. She only feeds her pug off of her plate. He won't even eat dog food anymore. She says we are being mean by not giving them what they want. :crazy2:

Actually after seeing some of the posts you guys have left we are considering using our food as high reward treats... I think I am just paranoid because my mom's four dogs have always been given table scraps and they will literally lay their head in your lap at the table waiting to be fed. That is something I absolutely don't want our dogs to do! But now after seeing what you guys have said I'm pretty confident that as long as we just maintain our position as the boss they shouldn't really change much. If anything I actually think it will be helpful for us to have that extra bit of leeway!

"It is true that Pit Bulls grab and hold on. But what they most often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart, not your arm."
pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » November 29th, 2009, 8:34 pm

pitsnok wrote: My boyfriend's mom is the worst about it. She knows they don't eat people food, and she will sneak it to them if we are at her house, or if she is at ours. She only feeds her pug off of her plate. He won't even eat dog food anymore. She says we are being mean by not giving them what they want. :crazy2:

Appeal to her Mom-ness... surely she didn't indulge her kids that way? :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby pitsnok » November 29th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Fortunately she wasn't that bad with her boys. I think now With the dog it's beause her kids are both grown and no one 'needs' her anymore. Plus I don't think they have ever had a dog before so she goes a little overboard!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Brownies Mom » November 29th, 2009, 9:33 pm

I'm thinking lieing is the most effective method. :mrgreen: I'm not completely serious about this, just tossing it out there - :tomato:

First, it sounds like you have already tried expressing your wishes/rules and that hasn't worked. Second, most people really believe they are being good to the dogs by giving them the food because they see them as little people in fur suits. Also, some people may even think they are giving the dog what it wants/needs and you are being unreasonable, simply because they disagree with your reasons or think they know better. :doh: Whatever their reasons, unless they are "those kind of dog people" (those who get things like the deeper relationship/furniture issue that you see with your friend), if they disagree with you, it increases the chances that your rules will be overruled.

See how convoluted my thinking can get? I simply adjust my reason until it fits the situation. :mask:

So... if its a situation where the dogs are away from home (i.e., have to ride in the car to go to Grandma's every Saturday), you could always say one gets car sick if it eats before the ride. Otherwise, you could say one now takes medication (chronically - for allergies or something?) that may interact with most foods. People don't want to hurt the dogs - they think they are being kind, so if you raise the stakes it is more likely they will go along with the program. Then appeal to that nurturing side of them by gently reminding them they should not feed the other dog either, because that wouldn't be fair, and the dog not given the scraps wouldn't understand.

Your welcome. :smokin:
Marianne
- A-Jay (APBT)
- Remy (English Setter mix)
Brownies Mom
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » November 29th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Excellent advise... lol
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » November 29th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Quite honestly, if they're not there 24/7, and not feeding toxic items to the dogs...I wouldn't worry about if, if it were my dogs. :| A little junk food never hurt anyone.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitsnok » November 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Brownie's mom: I love it!

pitsnok
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » November 30th, 2009, 12:35 am

I'd tell them that they get projectile diarrhea and occaisionally vomit :| Either that or room clearing gas in short order :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby kera09 » November 30th, 2009, 12:41 am

my dogs do get table scraps of meat and veggies and occasionally crackers or pretzels. Duge and lulu do BEG. duge rests his head on our legs and drools lol.....duge and lulu dont get as many as ava who lays on the couch and insists you bring her the scraps!! I think in moderation its just fine! They need a little variety the same old thing gets boring!
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies