Canine Hydrotherapy (Swim Therapy)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Patch O' Pits » November 26th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Many dogs may benefit from swimming therapy, underwater treadmills, and other alternative type therapies like chiropractic , acupuncture etc. These things can be used for a large variety of issues;
such as:
HD,
torn ACL,
arthritis,
extremely obese animals,
amputees
and more

Consequently, while helping out a member on another forum I found this great site.

The below link lits many places that offer hydrotherapy in the U.S.A, Canada, and United Kingdom.
http://www.mzjf.com/pools.html

I personally took one if mine who was stepped on as a pup for hydrotherapy and found it very helpful. I also got to watch others coming in for various reasons progress through there issues. It was pretty amazing IMO.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Ino » November 26th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Thanks for the link :D . When Ino tore his ACL's, swimming was a great alternative exercise for him because it is low/no impact. I did not take him for professional hydrotherapy because there I did not know of a place that offered it close to here; however, I let him swim daily in the stream when he was on leash only restrictions and it helped him heal (along with the holistic suppliments). It alse allowed him to stay in shape while all land activities were limited. It was a perfect solution because he was very young and it was a way to allow him to play off leash without reinjury and it is a great energy release. I will definately use the link if he ever needs hydrotherapy again! I am eventually looking to relocate back to Florida and one place is not that far from where I will be. :dance:
Ino
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » November 26th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Hydrotherapy is GREAT!
I would suggest Hydrotherapy outside of a clinic for most recovering dogs, but as mentioned, swimming can really help with HD and Arthritis; I honestly think why not just swim the dog instead of fetch :| So much less of a chance of chronic injury - hindsight is 20/20
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » November 26th, 2009, 2:41 pm

For us, until dock diving (which is mostly swimming, honestly :wink: ), swimming was the way we kept Colby in shape and his joints mobile. :mrgreen: Colby has bilateral hip and elbow dysplasia and now secondary arthritis from it. :mad2: He is in incredible shape from mostly just swimming. :dance: Hydrotherapy is AWESOME!!!! :P
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby dlynne1123 » November 27th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Yeah, we have two really nice physical therapy facilities ME, NH area. Mainly the water treadmills at any level. Portcity referral and Scarborough Referral and Emergency center. We've sent dogs there for post surgical weight loss, physical therapy for arthritis and other issues as well as coniditioning for hunting, working dogs, out of season. Its great, I can't wait to get my girl in there for her knee issues. She really loves the water too. Even watching cats do it, it was amazing. They become more intrigued than nervous. Once they focus on keeping their head up, they just trot away! They have everything from the water therapy to cavaletti poles and exercise balls for stretching. I took a class and really am looking into getting certified now.

Heres a few from our seminar.

Panser being used for a demonstration on the exercise balls for joint stretch and limb flexions.
Another bully being used for the seminar

Haha, the kitty is actually relaxed (these are random pets brought in too, not practiced animals!)
And my co workers Chihuahua, Pansers buddy for the day.

Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » November 28th, 2009, 2:54 am

good grief that is a chunky chihuahua!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby blabsforbullies » November 28th, 2009, 10:37 am

:confetti: I LOVE THE PHYSIOBALL TOO!!!! :confetti:

8) GREAT STUFF!!! 8)
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health