frustration, sadness, and worry; trying to rescue a dog.

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Malli » November 27th, 2009, 4:34 pm

A few of you may remember Indie from a few months back, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier with behavioral problems that I was trying to get into rescue. Initially, a trainer friend and I went and assessed Indie : we both felt that he was a dog that would be salvagable, as much as he had issues he was also a great little dog, we both felt that if we'd been able, we would have taken him ourselves. This gave his owners some encouragement, and they decided to try with him.

About a month ago, I emailed his people and asked how he was doing. They hadn't done anything with him, he wasn't worse, but no better, they'd had no time. :neutral:
Worse, his owners at first jokingly, and just today, in all seriousness, mentioned putting an add up for him on Kijijii. This is not a dog that can be rehomed in this manner(let alone rehoming a Pit Bull type dogs at all in such a manner), and I know they don't fully understand that; he needs someone that will work with him, care for him, give him affection, but is aware of his past and will withhold a certain amount of trust from him.

Since then I've been trying to find somewhere (again) for Indie to go.

I'm just so sad for this poor little dog; his owners have given him all his issues, understandably not many people are interested in helping him (hello liability), and so he sits unwanted and bored.
I am so frustrated with his people, I don't care what anyone says, its really not all that time consuming to fix stuff like this, and they don't even try, you just need to change YOUR habits with the dog and be consistent.

:neutral: :(

How do I tell them without having them hate me that if they've come to having to be rid of him that they have to take him in for his last Vet visit? I don't think they'll do it, which worries me almost more - if this dog isn't rehomed to the right person he'll either be neglected or become a headline.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » November 27th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I'm sorry, Malli. :( :hug3:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » November 27th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Malli wrote:How do I tell them without having them hate me that if they've come to having to be rid of him that they have to take him in for his last Vet visit? I don't think they'll do it, which worries me almost more - if this dog isn't rehomed to the right person he'll either be neglected or become a headline.

Maybe you can start the conversation about a "friend" who was in a similar situation. Your "friend" was unable to re-home their dog since it was deemed HA and of course, they did the right thing...which was sad, but the only choice. Then give your opinion on how responsible HUMANS take the right step and bring their dogs to a Vet to have them humanely euthanized, as difficult as it is.

As for the "not having them hate you" part...I would not care what anyone thought of me. I would rather speak up for the dog than to have things spiral even worse.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » November 27th, 2009, 6:55 pm

well, if they hate me, then they don't have to communicate with me anymore, and I can't help the dog :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » November 28th, 2009, 9:27 am

They aren't going to 'hate you", Mallika! If you word it without being accusatory or snippy (which I am sure you can do since you work with people all day and have to "play nice" to the annoying ones) they won't feel threatened or backed into a corner.

Use what is called an "I message". Basically, fill in the blanks....

"I feel..........when ..........because........."

So you might say this: "I feel helpless when I hear your dog is still having problems. Can I make more suggestions since I work with dogs and have a lot of resources?"
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » November 28th, 2009, 2:01 pm

oh lol, I learned that in peer counselling.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Pit Bull Talk